• The KillerFrogs

Klatt’s Take On CF’s Future

So if the changing dynamic is now about capturing the highest number of eyeballs possible watching specific popular games and no longer about bundled cable subscriber fees and capturing TV markets (quality high viewer games instead of quantity of games), why did the Big 12 add Houston and Cincinnati? Houston has little chance of capturing a national audience and may not even capture a Houston audience.

Seems ten schools would have been a good number with BYU and an enthusiastic large UCF. And with ten schools you can keep the round-robin schedule in football and basketball.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So if the changing dynamic is now about the highest number of eyeballs watching popular games and no longer about bundled cable subscriber fees and capturing TV markets, why did the Big 12 add Houston and Cincinnati. Seems ten schools would have been a good number with BYU and an enthusiastic large UCF. And with ten schools you can keep the round-robin schedule in football and basketball.
I would think counting eyeballs is not favorable for TCU. He cites each conference’s highest viewed game. The Big XII’s was TCU vs UT at 8 million. Where I’m guessing the majority of eyeballs weren’t from the TCU side. It was also close to half of Michigan vs OSU and even worse than Tenn vs UGA total viewers.

It will tough for small enrollment schools to compete in this scenario.

Dogfrog

I would think counting eyeballs is not favorable for TCU. He cites each conference’s highest viewed game. The Big XII’s was TCU vs UT at 8 million. Where I’m guessing the majority of eyeballs weren’t from the TCU side. It was also close to half of Michigan vs OSU and even worse than Tenn vs UGA total viewers.

It will tough for small enrollment schools to compete in this scenario.
Pretty sure he said TCU- UT game was Edit: B12 5.1M, SEC 13M, B1G 17M

Last edited:

dawg

What’s the gist? I can’t stop down for 30 mins
If you’re a program isn’t a massive “brand” or doesn’t generate a huge amount of interest, look out. The big boys won’t let you ride their coattails forever. Past realignment was expansion based on getting more TV markets and increasing the subscriber carriage fees for conference networks. The next phase of CFB won’t be expansion but contraction. Alabama and Georgia won’t share with Vandy and the Miss schools forever. Ohio St and Michigan won’t share with Northwestern and Purdue.

Eight

If you’re a program isn’t a massive “brand” or doesn’t generate a huge amount of interest, look out. The big boys won’t let you ride their coattails forever. Past realignment was expansion based on getting more TV markets and increasing the subscriber carriage fees for conference networks. The next phase of CFB won’t be expansion but contraction. Alabama and Georgia won’t share with Vandy and the Miss schools forever. Ohio St and Michigan won’t share with Northwestern and Purdue.

the question remains is who forms this new entity?

don't see it coming from a current conference and i can't recall a case where a current conference member was "kicked out" which suggests you have "chosen" teams leave their current conferences which is the most plausible scenario, but raises a number of questions

such as who gets to head up this new football collective? do they bring all their sports or just football? etc...

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
the question remains is who forms this new entity?

don't see it coming from a current conference and i can't recall a case where a current conference member was "kicked out" which suggests you have "chosen" teams leave their current conferences which is the most plausible scenario, but raises a number of questions

such as who gets to head up this new football collective? do they bring all their sports or just football? etc...
He said just football. But this entity will be as hard to agree on as getting politicians to agree on debt ceilings.

Dogfrog

BIg 10 17 million. Either way, we still lag behind.
youre right. Big 10 17M., SEC 13M, B12 5.03M.

I looked it up and the biggest ratings of the year were Peach - Ohio State/Georgia 22M, and Fiesta - Mich / TCU 21M.

I think his point about a central managing commission for all college football makes sense. Otherwise B1G and SEC playing puppeteer for their own exclusive benefit. There is an overall value across all schools that will be missed.

Zubaz

Temple was kicked out of the (at the time power conference) Big East in 2001.

Paint It Purple

youre right. Big 10 17M., SEC 13M, B12 5.03M.

I looked it up and the biggest ratings of the year were Peach - Ohio State/Georgia 22M, and Fiesta - Mich / TCU 21M.

I think his point about a central managing commission for all college football makes sense. Otherwise B1G and SEC playing puppeteer for their own exclusive benefit. There is an overall value across all schools that will be missed.
This may be me reaching, but TCU/MI can pull within the margin of error of OSU/GA? How can that be possible, and I don't buy that it was all MI.

Spike

So if the changing dynamic is now about capturing the highest number of eyeballs possible watching specific popular games and no longer about bundled cable subscriber fees and capturing TV markets (quality high viewer games instead of quantity of games), why did the Big 12 add Houston and Cincinnati? Houston has little chance of capturing a national audience and may not even capture a Houston audience.

Seems ten schools would have been a good number with BYU and an enthusiastic large UCF. And with ten schools you can keep the round-robin schedule in football and basketball.
Always wondered about this. UH's footprint is obviously limited, because of the lack of involvement of a rather large student body. They obviously don't capture much of the greater Houston market playing teams you've never heard of in whatever conference they are in but if they are playing bigger named schools does that not generate more interest than playing UNLV? Plus now you are getting that schools eyeballs.

Wexahu

This may be me reaching, but TCU/MI can pull within the margin of error of OSU/GA? How can that be possible, and I don't buy that it was all MI.
Because it was a national semifinal game and the only game on TV. Also, being on New Years Eve, I would imagine the early game would be better positioned for ratings than the night game.

Eight

Always wondered about this. UH's footprint is obviously limited, because of the lack of involvement of a rather large student body. They obviously don't capture much of the greater Houston market playing teams you've never heard of in whatever conference they are in but if they are playing bigger named schools does that not generate more interest than playing UNLV? Plus now you are getting that schools eyeballs.

historically no, even with their recent success in basketball they got nominal attention for a top 10 program

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
A lot of eyes settled on that game because TCU was a breath of fresh air, a truly loveable underdog up against the Usual Suspects. That we got the win kept the eyes on the game throughout.

I imagine the National Championship broadcast had a lot of tune-outs about mid 2nd Quarter when Cinderella's chariot threw a rod...