• The KillerFrogs

KillerFrogs Launches FrogsWire!!! Read all about it!

Deep Purple

click here: FrogsWire

TCU in Waco, Texas?
By: rcpoe | April 22, 2018

"But, if not for the fire of 1910, TCU and Fort Worth would have never met."
Somebody isn't quite down with their TCU history. By 1910 TCU and Fort Worth were already longtime friends.

The Clarks operated a preparatory school, the Male & Female Seminary of Fort Worth, from 1869-1874. Even as they operated that school, they were also laying plans for a coeducational institution of higher learning in Fort Worth, AddRan Male & Female College. The fact that it was coeducational is notable because in 1870 higher education was mostly a male-only endeavor. In 1870, only 15% of the national college enrollment was female, and most of those were segregated in women’s colleges. TCU was one of the first coeducational institutions of higher education west of the Mississippi River, and the very first in Texas.

The Clarks bought five square blocks of downtown property from 8th to 13th streets between Calhoun and Jones – roughly where the parking lots fronting the Intermodal Transportation Center are today. Unfortunately, this was the same time period in which the Chisholm Trail cattle drives were beginning, which fueled rampant growth of the city’s vice district, Hell’s Half-Acre. The Acre was soon crowding right up to the edge of the Clark property, and they decided this was no place to found a college for young adults. They sold the Fort Worth property and bought a new property with a large stone building on it at Thorp Spring, about 2 miles northwest of Granbury. That is where AddRan College began in 1873. The name was changed to AddRan Christian University in 1889 and Texas Christian University in 1902.

In 1895, the Clarks moved the college to Waco to gain the advantages of a larger population and transportation center, but they were in Waco for only 15 years. In 1910, TCU’s main administration building burned down and the people of Waco made no offer of help toward rebuilding. An organized group of Fort Worth entrepreneurs offered a 50-acre campus and $200,000 (over $5 million in current dollars) to lure TCU back to this city, which was the historic source of its institutional roots anyway.

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Somebody isn't quite down with there TCU history. By 1910 TCU and Fort Worth were already longtime friends.

The Clarks operated a preparatory school, the Male & Female Seminary of Fort Worth, from 1869-1874. Even as they operated that school, they were also laying plans for a coeducational institution of higher learning in Fort Worth, AddRan Male & Female College. The fact that it was coeducational is notable because in 1870 higher education was mostly a male-only endeavor. In 1870, only 15% of the national college enrollment was female, and most of those were segregated in women’s colleges. TCU was one of the first coeducational institutions of higher education west of the Mississippi River, and the very first in Texas.

The Clarks bought five square blocks of downtown property from 8th to 13th streets between Calhoun and Jones – roughly where the parking lots fronting the Intermodal Transportation Center are today. Unfortunately, this was the same time period in which the Chisholm Trail cattle drives were beginning, which fueled rampant growth of the city’s vice district, Hell’s Half-Acre. The Acre was soon crowding right up to the edge of the Clark property, and they decided this was no place to found a college for young adults. They sold the Fort Worth property and bought a new property with a large stone building on it at Thorp Spring, about 2 miles northwest of Granbury. That is where AddRan College began in 1873. The name was changed to AddRan Christian University in 1889 and Texas Christian University in 1902.

In 1895, the Clarks moved the college to Waco to gain the advantages of a larger population and transportation center, but they were in Waco for only 15 years. In 1910, TCU’s main administration building burned down and the people of Waco made no offer of help toward rebuilding. An organized group of Fort Worth entrepreneurs offered a 50-acre campus and $200,000 (over $5 million in current dollars) to lure TCU back to this city, which was the historic source of its institutional roots anyway.
Their*

WhatTheFrog

Good Lord. Some of you...

SucEm365 is looking for grammar nazis and minute-detail fact checkers.

Here we have an announcement of something new with content previously not provided, and we have members here giving each other a hard time about dates or spelling. Most of us hardcore fans know the facts and timelines associated with our beloved school. Our fearless leader spells her name “Ryann” but pronounces it “Ryan’. Poo happens. I just don’t get why we have so many people here that feel they gotta show off the size of their e-peens.

In the words of David Duke, “Can’t we all just get along?!"

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
WAT.jpg

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus

Here we have an announcement of something new with content previously not provided, and we have members here giving each other a hard time about dates or spelling. Most of us hardcore fans know the facts and timelines associated with our beloved school. Our fearless leader spells her name “Ryann” but pronounces it “Ryan’. Poo happens. I just don’t get why we have so many people here that feel they gotta show off the size of their e-peens.

I agree

If someone wants to be anal about the writing, then volunteer and crank out some stuff. Don’t write epic length corrections just to satisfy an ego, that no one wants to read. Tell us something interesting and informative

By the way, well done Ryann!!!

froginmn

I agree

If someone wants to be anal about the writing, the volunteer and crank out some stuff. Don’t write epic length corrections just to satisfy an ego, that no one wants to read. Tell us something interesting and informative

By the way, well done Ryann!!!
Punctuation nightmare, IMO.

Deep Purple

So if somebody posts WhatTheFrog earns his living as a pimp and pusher, and nobody corrects that post, you're okay with it? Accuracy doesn't matter? Just rah-rah school spirit?

I think you just set yourself up as a target.

Deep Purple

I agree

If someone wants to be anal about the writing, the volunteer and crank out some stuff. Don’t write epic length corrections just to satisfy an ego, that no one wants to read. Tell us something interesting and informative
I haven't seen any epic-length corrections in this thread, and I'm not sure how you can detect that other corrections are "just to satisfy an ego" or that "nobody wants to read" them. Perhaps you should consider that some people just want to see things expressed accurately?

Speaking just for me, given all the fake and distorted crap that floats around the internet these days, I welcome corrections based on more accurate and better-documented information. I'm not necessarily talking about trivial grammar or punctuation corrections -- though I welcome those in my posts because I like to get things right, and if I'm wrong, I want the opportunity to correct myself. But I'm mainly talking about basic errors of fact.

I want real facts, not assumed or distorted "facts." Also, I appreciate opinion as long as it's clearly identified as opinion. I don't want opinion presented as fact -- or as I labeled it above, "assumed fact." The words "fact" and "assume" simply don't go together. Their meaning is mutually incompatible -- like "Baylor" and "truth."

Latest posts