• The KillerFrogs

Killer Frogs: 50 Years Ago Today John Grace Threw A Perfect Game For TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
50 Years Ago Today John Grace Threw A Perfect Game For TCU

John Grace talks about his perfect game.

ADAM SHIRLEY
@TCU_Baseball twitter

evgffmyu0aaakgo.webp

TCU has been playing baseball since 1896 with an overall record of 2215-1663-25. That is 3,903 games over the course of 126 years. Of those 3,903 games, some were good, some were bad, some were ugly. Some were even great.

One was Perfect.

Fifty years ago today, April 8, 1972, John Grace and his TCU teammates played the perfect game. The one and only perfect game in TCU history.

Read more at https://www.si.com/college/tcu/tcu-...today-john-grace-threw-a-perfect-game-for-tcu

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Remember it well. Knew John, super nice guy too. John and Bodenhammer, two of the nicest guy you’d ever want to meet.
Not exactly a fire baller, lots of breaking balls. Wasn’t even the ace, Frank Johnstone was our stud, but never threw a 0-0-0.

Pan Am was always real good back then too. UTRGV now?

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I believe SuperFrog is his invention.
In 1979, TCU athletic promotions director John Grace wanted a mascot that would help create a fun atmosphere at sporting events and a mascot the fans would "laugh with" while being entertained, instead of being "laughed at." SuperFrog became the official mascot in 1979 after 30 years as Addy the Fighting Frog.

HG73

I was also at TCU the same time. Played against him in HS in football and baseball. He at Wichita Falls and me at Richland. Nice fellow, played some golf with him at Ridglea. Good player.

Also played against Don Bodenhamer (football and baseball) and Jimmy Torres. Jimmy Torres was the best HS baseball player I ever saw.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Remember it well. Knew John, super nice guy too. John and Bodenhammer, two of the nicest guy you’d ever want to meet.
Not exactly a fire baller, lots of breaking balls. Wasn’t even the ace, Frank Johnstone was our stud, but never threw a 0-0-0.

Pan Am was always real good back then too. UTRGV now?
What a great article. Love John giving so much credit to his teammates.

Had no idea that UTRGV had been to the CWS. Sure enough--swept Texas in the super regional; went 2-2 in Omaha.

How great to pitch a perfect game--and to do it against a quality team.

Rana1

One of my most unforgettable experiences. Sitting next to Farkas and trying to keep his "Frog Mouth" down after he realized what was going on was a quite difficult task. I was there from the first pitch. There were at least two SPECTACULAR plays on slow rolling ground balls that were made by the infield.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
One of my most unforgettable experiences. Sitting next to Farkas and trying to keep his "Frog Mouth" down after he realized what was going on was a quite difficult task. I was there from the first pitch. There were at least two SPECTACULAR plays on slow rolling ground balls that were made by the infield.
That must have been a task! His voice would echo off the wall sometimes...