• The KillerFrogs

KERLEY ... who's best repalcement

asleep003

OK then... who would you choose to replace Kerley's Slot Back position. Please ... let's try to save the Stansly Maponga and those Kyle Dooley type posts, if that is really possible around here, Hah! Really interested in why... We've heard plenty of why not someone else. Is there a diamond in the Ruff out there we are missing. The coaches know who they are thinking about; who would you like to see get a serious look. Lots of blocking involved and recieving, plus running plays too.

asleep003

I say Skye Dawson, but will LaDarius Brown be red shirted?

Think all the Wideout Fr-hs recruits will get a shot. Our 2deep 8 WRs are down to 3 returners, with Hawkins not back until 2012 and Curtis Carter(.?. is he or isn't he). So yes, Ladarius should be in the mix for the 2 deep... unless staff sees more need at DB... but can't imagine more need there, than at WR.

TCUFrogs

I don't see how to replace Kerley, he was one of a kind.....but maybe Ethan Grant, Brandon Carter, or LaDarias Brown can do other things.......maybe even better.

asleep003

I don't see how to replace Kerley, he was one of a kind.....but maybe Ethan Grant, Brandon Carter, or LaDarias Brown can do other things.......maybe even better.

Is there any HS data on Grant at all... besides that he is a 4 star RB .?. Would be nice to see what he did recieving the ball, as unable to even locate rushing stats....

tcujsauce

I see Brown being a big time wide out, not so much slot. Carter, Dawson, and Grant are all three incredible athletes that would excell in a slot type position.

Houston Frog

I see Brown being a big time wide out, not so much slot. Carter, Dawson, and Grant are all three incredible athletes that would excell in a slot type position.

Agree, although my guess would be Brandon Carter or Ethan Grant.

I'm not sure about Skye in the Kerley role, I don't think he has the bulk to take the physical pounding that Kerley took. Kerley caught a lot of stuff over the middle and took a lot of hits, and I think they'll use Skye in a different manner. By the way, I think Skye comes into his own this year and takes the next step to a more dependable every down type of receiver. And when I say that, I'm not trying to imply he'll be in every down, just saying he'll be in on more than the occassional specialty play where we send him deep or on an end-around.

asleep003

Agree with you on the Brown scenario... we have 5 2deep positions to fill at WR and could see him worked into a potental starter for 2011. On the other 3, still don't know anything about Grant's recieving background yet. No stats on his rushing either... just that he's a 4 star RB. Anybody that can locate his #s data ?

gdu

Brandon Carter/Skye Dawson/Ethan Grant

Biggest problem in replacing Kerley will be finding someone as sure handed at catching punts in traffic. Don't think I've seen anyone better than Kerley at that

Houston Frog

Brandon Carter/Skye Dawson/Ethan Grant

Biggest problem in replacing Kerley will be finding someone as sure handed at catching punts in traffic. Don't think I've seen anyone better than Kerley at that

Yep, he never muffed them, and he wasn't scared to catch a short punt on the run in traffic. A lot of guys would have just let them bounce, but he would run up and grab it before it took an unfriendly bounce for another 25 yards of field position.

Limp Lizard

That last fair-catch he made against Wisconsin was a thing of beauty: he was surrounded by red jerseys, with 2 or 3 within 10 feet of him and he fair caught the ball without a bobble.. I so agree the hardest replacement skill for Kelely will be his ice cold nerves of steel fielding punts. Anybody have a still shot of that?

If you look at the highlights of Bush, he reminds me alot of Kerley on returns. Don't know how sure-handed he is, though.

asleep003

That last fair-catch he made against Wisconsin was a thing of beauty: he was surrounded by red jerseys, with 2 or 3 within 10 feet of him and he fair caught the ball without a bobble.. I so agree the hardest replacement skill for Kelely will be his ice cold nerves of steel fielding punts. Anybody have a still shot of that?

If you look at the highlights of Bush, he reminds me alot of Kerley on returns. Don't know how sure-handed he is, though.

Agreed... Kickoffs are one thing, but a punt return man is a totally different animal... will be fun to see who grabs it. We might have a couple of Billy White Shoes Johnsons (Fr-hs)out there coming in this summer that might get worked into kickoffs and then later punts if they work out.

SnoopFrogs11

I think it'll be either Skype Dawson or Brandon Carter. It seems like both are skilled with speed and pass catching ability. Skype could be the punt returner and Carter the kick returner.

Trelvis

I think it'll be either Skype Dawson or Brandon Carter. It seems like both are skilled with speed and pass catching ability. Skype could be the punt returner and Carter the kick returner.

?

skype.jpg

:biggrin: :biggrin:

asleep003

Curious why only a couple of posts have Skye listed 1st and some not at all... considering he's been an understudy at Kerley's slot back position now for 2 years.?. and that he's one of our only returning three 2deep Wideouts and only 1 of 3 returning WRs that have caught a pass for TCU in 2010.