• The KillerFrogs

Just dawned on me...

TCUSA

Since we have developed such a big, loyal following of t-shirt fans (many of whom have allegiances to other Big12 schools), how will this move to the Big12 affect our fanbase? There are far fewer MWC/CUSA/WAC than OU/UT/Tech/BU fans in the metroplex to draw a casual fanbase from. What happens to them now? Do they continue to root for us except when we play their school or do they drop us for fear of supporting a school that may turn the tables on them in the future?

roddog

Banned
Since we have developed such a big, loyal following of t-shirt fans (many of whom have allegiances to other Big12 schools), how will this move to the Big12 affect our fanbase? There are far fewer MWC/CUSA/WAC than OU/UT/Tech/BU fans in the metroplex to draw a casual fanbase from. What happens to them now? Do they continue to root for us except when we play their school or do they drop us for fear of supporting a school that may turn the tables on them in the future?

it is natural that you will lose some of the support of fans that called you their home team when you join a conf their team is in, how many of you would wear a byu, utah, or air force shirt in the past?

FROGDADDY

I'd say if anything the move helps us. There have to be MASSIVELY larger numbers of Big 12 alumni in DFW than there are MWC alumni and I'm gonna assume that some of them might venture over to ACS to watch us play a Big 12 conference game even if their team isn't involved.

HFrog1999

it is natural that you will lose some of the support of fans that called you their home team when you join a conf their team is in, how many of you would wear a byu, utah, or air force shirt in the past?

I would never wear a BYU shirt, but I did go to the BYU/OU game with my TCU stuff on to root for them. The OU fans were actually really nice to us and we had some great football talk. They still respected TCU for beating them in Norman in 2005.

rM3panno

I'd say if anything the move helps us. There have to be MASSIVELY larger numbers of Big 12 alumni in DFW than there are MWC alumni and I'm gonna assume that some of them might venture over to ACS to watch us play a Big 12 conference game even if their team isn't involved.

^^^^^^^^^^^This

I work with a rabid Alabama/SEC fan who asked me today about the stadium and next season. He is thinking of coming from Arlington for a game or two at ACS. Big 12 football in the DFW area on a regular basis is going to be huge.

I am, and have been, a Utah, BSU and Oregon fan...unless them winning would harm the Frogs. Conference affiliation does not make a difference to me.

roddog

Banned
I am, and have been, a Utah, BSU and Oregon fan...unless them winning would harm the Frogs. Conference affiliation does not make a difference to me.

well news flash, if most years like people think on here tcu is fighting for a conf title with the rest of the teams, it is going to greatly affect peoples willingness to root for them

57Frog

I wouldn't worry about it . The "blue collar " football fans with no college affiliation will fill the stands for a winning team . Gotta have offense though .
Go Frogs
Do it now !

purpleraider

TCU has always been my team. After I graduated Tech, TCU became my girl on the side. I'm torn on what I will do. I have more reasons why I have always rooted for TCU than location, and I have really enjoyed having 2 teams in two different conferences.

Here is to good times ahead for the Frogs (perhaps minus one t-shirt fan)

Endless Purple

Not too worried. We will sell tickets as long as we continue to win. Other fans will root for us if we help their team (ie. playing someone above them in standings) and in OOC. Also many will come to watch a Big 12 game.

As far as national perception, that is where the Frogs have done well, and that may suffer. We have a following on both the east and west coasts because we have regularly played there. If we keep our OOC games to the region as our conference games will be, then we will lose the attention of the "national" fans. - Out of sight, out of mind. (only exceptions for undefeated years in a title hunt)

roddog

Banned
Yep, we will pick up some Aggies who adopt us as their 2nd team. I don't think the others will abandon us immediately, but they will likely wear different attire when they come to AGCS now.

the ags will adopt you unless you start doing well and they start getting their heads kicked in, then they will be jealous as hell! ags are only about the ags, thats all they sell them in fish camp :wacko:

roddog

Banned
TCU has always been my team. After I graduated Tech, TCU became my girl on the side. I'm torn on what I will do. I have more reasons why I have always rooted for TCU than location, and I have really enjoyed having 2 teams in two different conferences.

Here is to good time ahead for the Frogs (perhaps minus one t-shirt fan)

im torn to, i liked having them in 2 diff conf as well but also excited to get to see them play every year, most my tech friends feel the same way as you, hard to root for your rival!

InterestedObserver

I've spoken with several folks about this. I believe you'll see a big increase in ticket sales, but the folks in those seats won't be wearing purple. I think some TCU folks might be surprised that the guy they've been sitting next to for the past decade is actually a Horn, Sooner, Raider, Bear, etc.

From the standpoint of putting people in the stadium, it will be a big positive. Only issue is that those 40,000 folks who wore purple to watch TCU play Utah might only be 25-30,000 now.

One other thing you'll likely see is that less of Fort Worth (or at least the area of town nearest TCU) will get on board with the "backing the home team" mentality. The TCU "wear purple Fridays" will take a hit. I know several folks who've said that rather than sending their kids to school wearing purple on those days, they'll now be sending them to school wearing their first choice schools colors, be they orange, red, black, or green.

I think one paradox is that TCU could be a victim of their own success. I think most Fort Worth people will be inclined to initially continue supporting TCU as their "home team". However, if TCU walks into the Big 12 and starts winning, it will be at the demise of the schools where these folks loyalties really lie. TCU beating OU, UT, Tech, etc. could push fans of those schools off the TCU bandwagon in droves.

Regardless, I think it's a great thing no matter what happens. There will be excitement around TCU football games every week that has only been seen a handfull of times over the past several years.

Frog Attack II

I've spoken with several folks about this. I believe you'll see a big increase in ticket sales, but the folks in those seats won't be wearing purple. I think some TCU folks might be surprised that the guy they've been sitting next to for the past decade is actually a Horn, Sooner, Raider, Bear, etc.

From the standpoint of putting people in the stadium, it will be a big positive. Only issue is that those 40,000 folks who wore purple to watch TCU play Utah might only be 25-30,000 now.

One other thing you'll likely see is that less of Fort Worth (or at least the area of town nearest TCU) will get on board with the "backing the home team" mentality. The TCU "wear purple Fridays" will take a hit. I know several folks who've said that rather than sending their kids to school wearing purple on those days, they'll now be sending them to school wearing their first choice schools colors, be they orange, red, black, or green.

I think one paradox is that TCU could be a victim of their own success. I think most Fort Worth people will be inclined to initially continue supporting TCU as their "home team". However, if TCU walks into the Big 12 and starts winning, it will be at the demise of the schools where these folks loyalties really lie. TCU beating OU, UT, Tech, etc. could push fans of those schools off the TCU bandwagon in droves.

Regardless, I think it's a great thing no matter what happens. There will be excitement around TCU football games every week that has only been seen a handfull of times over the past several years.

Good points, but I think in just the opposite direction.

If you don't bleed purple but have season tickets, but TCU is wining the Big 12, why would you wear your Kansas blue, Baylor Green, or UT orange? That doesn't make sense to me. If you are hot, then you're hot. That's the definition of a t-shirt fan.

Good lord... why did we all of a sudden get TCU gear everywhere in the metroplex last year? Rose Bowl. You could see it more than UT stuff. That's what happens when you go 5-7.

Now, if we start going 5-7, 6-6, then yeah - that purple will be replaced w/ whatever color / school is in. That's why it's called bandwagoning.

Latest posts