• The KillerFrogs

I've rarely seen a wierder strike zone...

sous vide

I think that ump has some left hemisphere brain damage: His calls to the right of the plate were absolutey atrocious all night.

Both ways.

Pharm Frog

If you mean to the right field side (left-handed batter's box side), I would agree. Greg Maddux would have thrown seven consecutive no-no's with that zone. And just when you thought it was settling down, he squeezes Miller on an 0-2 count with one out and runners on 2nd and 3rd, which I'm guessing (just guessing because I couldn't see it) was about the same as the one he wrung up Rivera on to end it. Fortunately, Miller came back to K the guy in question, but we just stranded too many runners.....and many times on balls hit right on the button.

Limey Frog

Absolutely. I was sat above and to the left of the umpire, so my perspective wasn't great. But it seemed fine at the top of the box and extremely erratic down low. I agree that neither team got any major benefit most of the game, but in TCU rally during the last inning he called several crucial strikes down low that were at least questionable. Those cost us the game. Well, those and not driving in multiple runners in scoring position. But I always prefer to blame officials.

An-Cap Frog

Disappointed that we could not close that one out...saw the first 7 then had to host my small group...turned it back on in the 14th with the bases juiced and 2 outs...the last strike looked good to me...in the least it was close enough not to take...

Houston Frog

Strike zone was weird, but I couldn't tell if it was just because of the angle you get watching online.... that camera is set up in left center

Pharm Frog

Disappointed that we could not close that one out...saw the first 7 then had to host my small group...turned it back on in the 14th with the bases juiced and 2 outs...the last strike looked good to me...in the least it was close enough not to take...

How did you see it? Is the feed for the mtn different from the online streaming version? I also don't know what kind of angle the center field camera was set at, but from repeated crownd reaction, catchers' reactions, and hitters' reactions, something was not to their liking. Meanwhile, you gotta admire the fight in this team to keep battling and keep battling....

RaiderHater

It was bad and too far outside for right handed batters but he called it both ways so at least he was consistent.

Agree. At least he was consistent.

It's part of the game that the players and coaches should know that the strike zone changes day to day, ump to ump. It's up to the pitchers and batters to adjust accordingly.

Until we get a laser computer that computes strikes and balls like ESPN's "K-zone" and and shows a green light for a strike and a red light for a ball, the strike zone is going to be not consistent game to game.

An-Cap Frog

How did you see it? Is the feed for the mtn different from the online streaming version? I also don't know what kind of angle the center field camera was set at, but from repeated crownd reaction, catchers' reactions, and hitters' reactions, something was not to their liking. Meanwhile, you gotta admire the fight in this team to keep battling and keep battling....
gofrogs.com

PurplePainD

I watched the Fri/Sun games on the MTN (really need to pony up for HD cameras) and since the Saturday game was delayed I watched it on my Android phone live via gofrogs.com.

Deep Purple

I watched the Fri/Sun games on the MTN (really need to pony up for HD cameras)

Watching a TCU baseball game on the MTN is a painful and frustrating experience because it's such a horrible technical production. Granted, the production is run by FTDM students who are still learning their craft, but the cardinal rule they should be taught above all else is to allow the viewers to see the game. I mean, that's the whole point of the broadcast -- not to practice artsy tight shots and camera cuts that mask the action on the field and leave the viewer wondering what is happening.

On Sunday, I lost count of the number of times we saw the following:

• Random crowd or dugout shots that extended through game play. We could hear that something was happening on the field, but had no idea what because the production crew was so intent on showing us those fascinating crowd and dugout shots.
  • Tight shot of of pitcher delivering the pitch but no camera cut to the plate or the field to show the results of the pitch. To figure out what was happening, we either had to interpret the pitcher's reaction as he watched the play unfold or wait for LaMendola to fill us in. Because we sure as heck didn't get to actually see the play.
  • On a few occasions, as soon as the pitcher delivered the pitch, the production crew did cut from a tight shot of the pitcher to another shot -- but not a shot of the play, just another angle of the pitcher watching the play. Again, we have no idea what's happening. We just have to read the pitcher's reaction or wait for the word from LaMendola.
  • Several times the camera guys just lost track of the ball and focused on some part of the field other than where the play was actually occurring. This happens on rare occasions even with experienced, professional crews, but not 4-5 times in a single broadcast.
When med students learn the Hippocratic Oath, the primal rule they are taught is, "First, do no harm." The equivalent for FTDM students should be, "First, don't obscure the game." The most important thing is to get the game on the viewer's screens. Once you've accomplished that, then you can have fun with all the fancy stuff. But if you can't even deliver the game, all the fancy stuff is pointless.

Houston Frog

I watched the Fri/Sun games on the MTN (really need to pony up for HD cameras) and since the Saturday game was delayed I watched it on my Android phone live via gofrogs.com.

He meant, how did you see that particular pitch? The feed on GoFrogs cut to a weird side view on the final pitch for no reason whatsoever, and you could barely see it. You could just kinda see a white blur come across the screen (a white blur that looked low to me)

Pharm Frog

He meant, how did you see that particular pitch? The feed on GoFrogs cut to a weird side view on the final pitch for no reason whatsoever, and you could barely see it. You could just kinda see a white blur come across the screen (a white blur that looked low to me)

I should've been more clear in phrasing the question, but if you saw a white blur across your monitor, you have much better vision than me (which is not a high hurdle). I watched the catcher's mitt (wrist-snapped to frame post-catch which is often a clue as to where the catcher thinks it is), Rivera's reaction, and CJS advancing out of the dugout seemingly with a purpose (the only real advantage to having that side view angle).