• The KillerFrogs

Is Sonny Cumbie a Good Offensive Coordinator?

Pharm Frog

I don't know who's fault it is and don't really care as long as someone figures it out and fixes it. But the disjointed communication and befuddled looks with the play clock running down and inexplicable time outs called suggest that the team on the field may be too reliant on those in the booth and the sideline. To me that appears to be either suspect coaching prep or over-coaching. We're pretty good scripted.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
We called a TO on the first play on offense, that’s not a good look.....it signaled some difficulties with the Off game plan, communication....may be Cumbies fault, maybe SR.....but it’s Cumbies job to have SRs mind right.

Way too many substitutions period, no rhythm on style of plan is showing to be a problem.

I’ve not been Impressed with the game plans overall this season.....has had 2 halves that were fairly good.... y’all can blame it on year 2 play calling, pressure from GP.....

Gary punted there at the end bc he didn’t think our O could make the first down..... jury’s out on Cumbie but I sure hope he is the man bc he’s a helluva recruiter!!!
I could be wrong on this but isn’t there a new rule where the play clock starts at end of kickoff and time is limited to get first play run? Could have been the reason for the first play time out. I don’t know because I was at the game and not watching that closely. I’ve heard it has happened to other teams as well. Too much talking on the sideline and play clock runs down.

Could be very wrong on all this. Wouldn’t be the first time.

y2kFrog

I could be wrong on this but isn’t there a new rule where the play clock starts at end of kickoff and time is limited to get first play run? Could have been the reason for the first play time out. I don’t know because I was at the game and not watching that closely. I’ve heard it has happened to other teams as well. Too much talking on the sideline and play clock runs down.

Could be very wrong on all this. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Yes, and we broke the huddle on the sideline with 15 seconds left on the play clock. By the time we ran out there there was 5 seconds on the play clock. That was 100% on the coaches for talking too long. I have no idea what he was saying, but Luper kept talking and talking while the play clock was ticking down.

Wexahu

I don't know who's fault it is and don't really care as long as someone figures it out and fixes it. But the disjointed communication and befuddled looks with the play clock running down and inexplicable time outs called suggest that the team on the field may be too reliant on those in the booth and the sideline. To me that appears to be either suspect coaching prep or over-coaching. We're pretty good scripted.

Great point. Too much stuff going on it appears. Too many personnel packages, too many plays, too much of everything. That’s just a guess, but that’s what it looks like at least.

berryfrog95

Great point. Too much stuff going on it appears. Too many personnel packages, too many plays, too much of everything. That’s just a guess, but that’s what it looks like at least.
I think it’s definitely a lot of this. It was at the 15:00 of the 1q, seems like they didn’t agree on personnel and the script or something....really odd. We got a FG on that drive but still signs of later in the game where the staff just wasn’t jiving

tcumaniac

I know I've gotten a lot of [ Finebaum ] for starting this thread, but for the most part, I've enjoyed reading the responses and have seen some really good points.

I really like Sonny. I awkwardly introduced myself to him at Fuzzy's a few years ago and he couldn't have been a nicer guy.

It's certainly easy to put on purple shaded glasses and refuse to accept that our offense is allowed to be anything less than perfect, which is obviously unreasonable. But I also don't think it's absurd to openly discuss the performance quality of a coach that is paid a lot of money to do his job well.

While the turnovers are certainly a major factor, I don't feel like we can just blame everything on the fact we've turned the ball over an inexplicable number of times.
Sonny certainly has an impressive track record the past few years and deserves some benefit of the doubt, but I often feel like we lack intentionality behind our play calling. It feels sporadic and without purpose. And I feel like we don't utilize our talent as effectively as we could or put our players in the best possible position to succeed. I'm still convinced we have some of the best speed and talent in the country on offense, and we just don't know how to properly use it. Even without the turnovers, I don't feel like the play calling and personnel decisions are giving us the best opportunity to reach our full potential as an offense. I feel like we find ourselves getting too cute at times and often outthinking ourselves. Lastly, I feel like our in game adjustments have been atrocious more than a handful of times.

I'm far from pulling a steel and starting a Fire Cumbie thread, and I acknowledge how ridiculous it can appear to play armchair QB, but I felt like even without the turnovers it was worth discussing the quality of our game planning and play calling.

Flame away.

Frostie

Cut out the turnovers, which are not the OC's fault, and we are 4-0 and top 5 and everyone loves him
Agree, I had a knee jerk reaction after the tOSU game, not saying he is perfect but he is dealing with newbies on offense. Give SR a year and it will be Boykin 2.0, however please have him stop smiling after interceptions.

FrogLifeYo

Cumbie it Seems does not fully understand what his offense can and should be with SR as the QB..It’s obvious once the team gets past its first 15 plays..His inexperience as the single play caller is showing. He’s smart and will figure it out but a 1 year play caller and a 1st year starter is a rough combo

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
The guy seems like a stand up individual that recruits are very clearly drawn to. And from all accounts he is just a fantastic husband, father, and man in general... exactly the kind of guy you want a part of your football program. And let's not forget how he told the Texas Longhorns to go pound sand a few years ago. It's really, really hard not to love the guy.

But... is he actually good at game planning and play calling? Discuss.

The cutesy passing game and wr sweeps. Man the #$&@ up and play football!
Run the damn ball with power and quit girlying around.

Can this team not throw 15 yard passes? It’s either ding and dunk or 50 yard throws?!

University of North Texas baby!