• The KillerFrogs

Is Sonny Cumbie a Good Offensive Coordinator?

Wexahu

He’s good. But I’d mow his lawn for 3 years straight if he’d stop the constant wr rotation, the wr screens, and the loathesome, stupid, and entirely predictable fade calls.

Well played.

The fade calls IMO are him having no confidence in our goal line running game and also him being afraid of SR throwing a pick (and getting on the wrong side of a GP tirade) on anything but a fade route. SR has trouble seeing defenders in the middle of the field, I think that's pretty obvious.

CountryFrog

Well played.

The fade calls IMO are him having no confidence in our goal line running game and also him being afraid of SR throwing a pick (and getting on the wrong side of a GP tirade) on anything but a fade route. SR has trouble seeing defenders in the middle of the field, I think that's pretty obvious.
I think you're 100% correct about SR having trouble seeing the middle of the field. It's the biggest adjustment for QBs from HS to college or from college to the NFL and he's not quite where he needs to be yet. I'm optimistic that he'll get that cleaned up. Hopefully soon.

Wexahu

One more nitpick I have with regards to the offense. We ran the Wildcat on 4th and 1 with Sewo taking a direct snap and our 6'2", 225 lb QB split out wide. Can somebody explain to me how that makes ANY sense whatsoever?

I had forgotten about that a bit (maybe because it worked....barely) but that's an example IMO of getting WAY too cute for no reason. Robinson is plenty big and strong enough to run that play himself and you aren't completely telegraphing it to the defense.

CountryFrog

One more nitpick I have with regards to the offense. We ran the Wildcat on 4th and 1 with Sewo taking a direct snap and our 6'2", 225 lb QB split out wide. Can somebody explain to me how that makes ANY sense whatsoever?

I had forgotten about that a bit (maybe because it worked....barely) but that's an example IMO of getting WAY too cute for no reason. Robinson is plenty big and strong enough to run that play himself and you aren't completely telegraphing it to the defense.
Shawn is currently fumbling at a higher rate than Sewo so that's probably one reason.

You're probably not going to like the second reason but I'll give it to you anyway. They're absolutely using that to setup trick plays later in the season like we saw last year with the throwback screen from Turpin to Sewo out of that formation.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Shawn is currently fumbling at a higher rate than Sewo so that's probably one reason.

You're probably not going to like the second reason but I'll give it to you anyway. They're absolutely using that to setup trick plays later in the season like we saw last year with the throwback screen from Turpin to Sewo out of that formation.
They should install the Tebow jump pass out of that formation.

berryfrog95

We called a TO on the first play on offense, that’s not a good look.....it signaled some difficulties with the Off game plan, communication....may be Cumbies fault, maybe SR.....but it’s Cumbies job to have SRs mind right.

Way too many substitutions period, no rhythm on style of plan is showing to be a problem.

I’ve not been Impressed with the game plans overall this season.....has had 2 halves that were fairly good.... y’all can blame it on year 2 play calling, pressure from GP.....

Gary punted there at the end bc he didn’t think our O could make the first down..... jury’s out on Cumbie but I sure hope he is the man bc he’s a helluva recruiter!!!

tetonfrog

I really liked the adjustments SC made last year...….running the ball first and getting it into the hands of our playmakers (DA, Sewo). If the encouragement came from GP, even better. We also saw a ton of improvement from Kenny Hill from his junior year, especially with the turnovers. And his work with Boykin was amazing.

Let's hope we see the same improvement from SR this year. It could be difficult with the new OL and the inconstant play from our WRs, but the ISU D is not close to OSU or UT. They dared us to run the ball last year and we didn't do it enough, especially in the red zone. I hope we get our RBs going early and often. That would free up big plays down the field with our WRs and let's hope they catch the ball better this week Even though SR can create plays with his running, the hits he takes will knock him out of game and worse, fumble the ball.

SC is a good OC and playcaller. We already know he is an outstanding recruiter. Now, let's watch him develop SR, JR and the next wave of TCU QBs.

LVH

Sucks at halftime adjustments. Did we even score in the 2nd half of either Oklahoma game last year? And that was against a poor OU defense.

LVH

My biggest gripe is that the offense has no identity. When Meach called plays we ran the Air Raid. Worked great in 2014-2015 and half of 2016. When it didn’t work the second half of the 2016 season I think CGP decided that the Air Raid style wasn’t worth the extra risk to his D and that’s why we’ve ended up with a disjointed offense. Cumbie is torn between what he knows and what his boss wants. The result is an offense that is all over the place..

I was never on board with the air raid, even when it worked in 2014 and 2015.

Arrange the entire team philosophy around the strength of the team. The strength of our team is defense and always will be under GP. I know a ball control offense didn't work in 2012 or 2013 but it was our first 2 years in the Big 12 with a young team both years.

You can win with a run first offense that takes snaps under center and utilizes a fullback and tight end in the Big 12.

froginmn

I always love when people complain about stuff that works.

helcap

yeah, should have had SR line up as fullback and be the lead blocker into the hole