• The KillerFrogs

Is Kendal Briles a serious candidate?

Dogfrog

I'm skeptical that anyone who has paid even a little bit of attention really believes them equal, it's just a convenient, "whataboutism" that allows the user not to have to think too deeply.
But you believe they are unequal while providing no facts. Nobody is willing to state any facts, just referencing some book. The clear evidence against him is his surname, who his father is, a comment a recruit attributed to him, and he puts tape on his fingers. I have no axe to grind here, don’t care who they hire but this appears to be a delayed lynch mob based on deep seated opinions ingrained years ago. Some of the commentary I have read here is embarrassing

TCURiggs

I'm skeptical that anyone who has paid even a little bit of attention really believes them equal, it's just a convenient, "whataboutism" that allows the user not to have to think too deeply.

No, it's not. I couldn't have been more interested in all of the Baylor stuff at the time, as I'm from the Waco area and would argue with hometown folks about it pretty much daily, so I read it all. I hated all of that staff because of it, but always primarily Art, and never thought "this is all Art and Kendal." I remember Kendal's "white girls" comment, and one or two other things, but certainly never thought he was a ring-leader like Art. I'm skeptical of anyone who believes that Kaz (or any other staffer) was completely innocent in all of this, but just Kendal and Art weren't. That takes some mental gymnastics to get there, IMO.

For the record, I don't like the fact that any of our staff has Art-ties, but that's been the case for well over a year now. I'm still just going to watch/support my football team and hope that Sonny runs a good, clean program (as clean as CFB can be, anyway). Pull your support now if you want, but the recent outrage seems a little late to me.

For the "I will no longer support the program over this hire" folks: it seems none of that existed with Kaz and Buckles last season, so what's the big difference here? Kaz, especially, was an integral part of Art's program in Waco and everyone seems to love that hire, so how does this differ so much?
I think that number is much smaller than you think, and it's mostly hyperbole on their part. I doubt many of them will actually follow through. Don't be surprised if they're the first to complain, though, when the team's performance goes south.

I think to some, the Kaz thing was "ok, I'll hold my nose" and give him the benefit of the doubt. He was part of the Dykes package and kind of got lost in that big shuffle (though there were some objections). I think for some people, Kaz was a compromise of principles, so to speak. I can understand how Kendal is a bridge too far for many, though, especially considering Kaz and Buckels are already here. As it goes with anything, eventually enough is enough no matter who you are. That's when lines in the sand get drawn.

FWIW, I'm not for the Briles hire, but if he's hired, my support for TCU will not waver. I just don't think his upside is much greater than other candidates, so it's not worth the baggage he brings with him.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

No, it's not. I couldn't have been more interested in all of the Baylor stuff at the time, as I'm from the Waco area and would argue with hometown folks about it pretty much daily, so I read it all. I hated all of that staff because of it, but always primarily Art, and never thought "this is all Art and Kendal." I remember Kendal's "white girls" comment, and one or two other things, but certainly never thought he was a ring-leader like Art. I'm skeptical of anyone who believes that Kaz (or any other staffer) was completely innocent in all of this, but just Kendal and Art weren't. That takes some mental gymnastics to get there, IMO.

For the record, I don't like the fact that any of our staff has Art-ties, but that's been the case for well over a year now. I'm still just going to watch/support my football team and hope that Sonny runs a good, clean program (as clean as CFB can be, anyway). Pull your support now if you want, but the recent outrage seems a little late to me.
I guess you are right. I only know about tapefingers white girls claimed statements. Which is what a recruit claimed. Again, don’t know what he knew. Always thought it was art and some admin staff and the operations guy. But you make some good points on the others.

ReedFrawg

I think that number is much smaller than you think, and it's mostly hyperbole on their part. I doubt many of them will actually follow through. Don't be surprised if they're the first to complain, though, when the team's performance goes south.

I think to some, the Kaz thing was "ok, I'll hold my nose" and give him the benefit of the doubt. He was part of the Dykes package and kind of got lost in that big shuffle (though there were some objections). I think for some people, Kaz was a compromise of principles, so to speak. I can understand how Kendal is a bridge too far many, though, especially considering Kaz and Buckels are already here. As it goes with anything, eventually enough is enough no matter who you are. That's when lines in the sand get drawn.

FWIW, I'm not for the Briles hire, but if he's hired, my support for TCU will not waver. I just don't think his upside is much greater than other candidates, so it's not worth the baggage he brings with him.

I'll still be watching from home - just not forking over $$$ for 14 season tickets and/or donations. (Again I'm sure no one cares but some of us will follow through.)

hometown frog

But you believe they are unequal while providing no facts. Nobody is willing to state any facts, just referencing some book. The clear evidence against him is his surname, who his father is, a comment a recruit attributed to him, and he puts tape on his fingers. I have no axe to grind here, don’t care who they hire but this appears to be a delayed lynch mob based on deep seated opinions ingrained years ago. Some of the commentary I have read here is embarrassing
The reason there is no clear evidence is because the university made damned sure none of it got out. So articles, reporters and books are all any of us have to go by.

LisaLT

I think to some, the Kaz thing was "ok, I'll hold my nose" and give him the benefit of the doubt. He was part of the Dykes package and kind of got lost in that big shuffle (though there were some objections). I think for some people, Kaz was a compromise of principles, so to speak. I can understand how Kendal is a bridge too far many, though, especially considering Kaz and Buckels are already here. As it goes with anything, eventually enough is enough no matter who you are. That's when lines in the sand get drawn.

I guess only time will tell. I hope he ends up being worth it in the end, as that would make our team better.

Dogfrog

The reason there is no clear evidence is because the university made damned sure none of it got out. So articles, reporters and books are all any of us have to go by.
Possibly to a certain extent. Yet many here wrote post after post as though they had ALL the evidence. That is the problem.

Wexahu

I hated Baylor in the Art years more than any other team I've hated, but even I thought the whole thing was pretty overblown (although I do think Art is a scumbag). Once people went on the attack, there was no letting up, no matter what the actual facts were. I'm not sure how many people were actually convicted and found guilty of the things they were accused of, but I know it wasn't many. As I said before, it would be a completely different narrative if Baylor was going 4-8 and 5-7 at the time. And I'll freely admit that one of the main reasons I hated them so much at the time is that they got pretty good, and Baylor was one of those teams that wasn't supposed to be good.

HornyWartyToad

Were you aware that KB was accused of raping a girl on the football field at Stephenville while in High School? If so, and if you can take that and combine it with all the other "one or two things," and still expect he's clean in all this, then you and I see the world very differently. All those additional, "little things," while not in and of themselves criminal, point to a horrible cynical mindset that is what fostered the environment for monsters to be set loose on an unsuspecting campus full of innocent females. It's probably a very natural result of growing up with a father like the one he has, and never choosing to take a hard critical look at the old man's character.
On the other hand, if your point is, "Well we hired Kaz and nobody got mad," then you are misremembering that timeframe on here pretty starkly. There was plenty of, "Oh hell no," but as I posted earlier maybe on another of the hundred threads about this, we hired Sonny. Kaz already worked for Sonny, so it's not like he went out on a nationwide search and came up with Kaz.
Actually, my biggest concern about hiring Sonny was the fact that he had a BU coach on his SMU staff. I did NOT like that. But in my own mind, I could justify it by understanding that Sonny had worked closely with Kaz for what, 3 years, and knew him very well. So, I held my nose and gave Sonny the benefit of the doubt on that one, but always with my radar up.
I do NOT extend that same rationale to KB, because Sonny has NOT worked with him, and because there are enough red flags about KB that I think his character is well below what I want to see repping my school. And at a point, people cease to deserve the benefit of the doubt. He's long ago crossed that point for me.
I want to see someone with the innovative offensive mind of Mike Martz, with the character of Jim Wacker. And if I have to choose one or the other, I choose the character guy.

Mean Purple

I hated Baylor in the Art years more than any other team I've hated, but even I thought the whole thing was pretty overblown (although I do think Art is a scumbag). Once people went on the attack, there was no letting up, no matter what the actual facts were. I'm not sure how many people were actually convicted and found guilty of the things they were accused of, but I know it wasn't many. As I said before, it would be a completely different narrative if Baylor was going 4-8 and 5-7 at the time. And I'll freely admit that one of the main reasons I hated them so much at the time is that they got pretty good, and Baylor was one of those teams that wasn't supposed to be good.
I think the anger and disgust was warranted. That was some awful [ Finebaum ] that came out. Nobody on staff would face conviction, they and or the school would face law suits, and did. And there were settlements of I remember correctly. Some players were convicted. And I’m sure appeals happened, etc.
But the outdo was more than warranted.

tcufootballjh98

People really need to read that entire thread she shared. She nailed it.

Can we all stop speculating that Kendal knew about any wrongdoing? Because there’s nothing in these lawsuits to suggest that. Why would he need to “hold himself accountable” or “prove he’s changed” if he had no knowledge of any wrongdoing?

Seriously y’all are just repeating the same speculation without any basis in fact. Show me the supposed testimony, emails, or texts that implicate Kendal in any of this

steelfrog

Tier 1
I think the anger and disgust was warranted. That was some awful [ Finebaum ] that came out. Nobody on staff would face conviction, they and or the school would face law suits, and did. And there were settlements of I remember correctly. Some players were convicted. And I’m sure appeals happened, etc.
But the outdo was more than warranted.
Not only not face conviction, not even prosecuted; and worse, AB himself was PAID $20-25mm of his remaining $40mm on his contract. And, as we saw, was free to go work after that (unlike the situation had he merely been fired and paid his remaining salary, for which there would be a clawback for the amount paid in new job).

TCURiggs

Good points. I guess I just don't get how you could "hold your nose" for just a little bit of rape cover-up (assuming like any rational person that you'd think Art's entire staff knew what all was going on), but when you throw in a little more/one more character it's just too much. That seems like it should be an all or nothing deal when it comes to your moral compass. And if you somehow talked yourself into Kaz, Buckles and everyone else just being in the dark about everything at Baylor, with just Art and KB being the guilty parties, I think you just have your head in the sand.

Whatever, though. The deal is done and people will react how they want to react. Like with Kaz, Buckles and everyone else, now all we can do is hope that Sonny runs a tight ship and everything works out well. I at least trust Sonny to do that.

Palliative Care

The TCU/Baylor rivalry is one thing but the allegations and finding at Baylor are another. My main concern going forward is that nothing like what hapened at Baylor is ever allowed here. This is true whether Briles is hired or not and I strongly doubt that those problems will reoccur here now. In fact in a way this is a reaffirmation of the schools intent that it will not happen here with or without Briles being hired. That is what we want to hear.
That being said I do not want people to get the idea that violence and hate is the solution to this either. You can be woke or asleep I don't care. But hate, cover ups and out right violence never solved a thing. Open honest discussions do solve and prevent problems. Should we be concerned with the past? Yes. Should we guard our future? Yes. But do it in a positive way. Otherwise you solve or resolve nothing.