• The KillerFrogs

Is CFP really out of the question if we beat OU?

LSU Game Attendee

I assume there is an unwritten agreement among the college presidents to support the CFP decisions and not complain or campaign. This is because the cfp is so lucrative. Otherwise I would expect a school’s athletic department to start social media campaigns wherein they list where their team ranks positively on the various cfp committee criteria.
Yep the college presidents agreed to not hire marketing firms to lobby against the CFP, and to not cover up rape and drug dealing for the sake of football. Ken Starr refused the agreement.

netty2424

And I suppose everyone would feel better if a middling Big 10 or SEC team was put in at #25 instead of Fresno State, right? What about Michigan or Iowa, two teams that netty thought should be above Fresno. How do think that would've gone over?

There isn't a Big 12 team that is even a candidate to be in the Top 25 outside of TCU, OU, and OSU so that option isn't there. Virtually any team they put in there is probably going to be somebody that a Top 10 team beat. It's just more impulse complaining and looking for every little thing to try and claim a conspiracy. Good grief, if Fresno doesn't win this week they won't be ranked anymore, BFD.
Then why have rankings at all Wex? What's the point? And if it matters so little, why have you made it a personal mission to defend every move they make.

CountryFrog

The committee has a really tough job guys and they're only human. Don't complain about the things they do. They're trying their best to sit in a board room and pick their teams.

All that every football team has to do is get their brains smashed in every Saturday against their opponents and win every single game. They have the easy job. If they don't win every single game then they can't complain about anything.

MAcFroggy

Totally a side note here, but in college football, not enough emphasis is placed on whether a game is played at home/away. It's a huge difference IMO.

That is why I wonder if the committee will think about keeping Oklahoma over Ohio State even if we beat OU and Ohio State wins. Oklahoma would not have the conference championship like tOSU, but OU would have a decisive victory in Columbus against Ohio State.

I don’t see how OU or anyone could make playoff after losing ccg, I believe the committee will and should treat ccg’s as extension of the playoffs.
Shreve, I doubt the committee even knows what it considers. It just does what it wants when it wants and changes its criteria week by week, year by year, and that is why this is a failed experiment and won't work until it allows all 5 Power 5 conference winners in and 3 at large. Those three at large teams would give the CFP committee its political picks.

ShreveFrog

... and that is why this is a failed experiment and won't work until it allows all 5 Power 5 conference winners in and 3 at large. Those three at large teams would give the CFP committee its political picks.

Believe now that 4 is a good number. If you go to 8, the conference championship games mean less. If you go to 6, then you have controversy over which 2 teams get byes. As said, treat ccg’s as extension of playoffs. Yes, at least one P5 gets left out. But it’s still the best formula.

MN Frog

That is why I wonder if the committee will think about keeping Oklahoma over Ohio State even if we beat OU and Ohio State wins. Oklahoma would not have the conference championship like tOSU, but OU would have a decisive victory in Columbus against Ohio State.
This...which is why TCU still has a shot. I think OU vs tOSU is the Baylor and TCU conundrum of 2014. They will have a hard time putting tOSU ahead of OU and may look to take the easy way out, which would be Bama and TCU in the playoffs assuming tOSU and us win.

froglash88

Believe now that 4 is a good number. If you go to 8, the conference championship games mean less. If you go to 6, then you have controversy over which 2 teams get byes. As said, treat ccg’s as extension of playoffs. Yes, at least one P5 gets left out. But it’s still the best formula.
It’s opinion, but doesn’t LHCGMFP think 8 is best?

Limey Frog

There is no way the committee is going to leave out a Big Ten champion Ohio State. I think that if we've beaten OU by then, we're rooting for Wisconsin and Georgia in order to get Ohio State and Auburn to three losses. We want Stanford tonight for the same reason, and Clemson over Miami so the Canes have finished in two straight losses and have no championship. That sequence of results would lift us over five teams and present the committee with a straight choice between us and a Bama team without a championship. I don't think any other sequence of results gives us a hope in hell.

Last edited:

Greg

There is no way the committee is going to leave out a Big Ten champion Ohio State. I think that if we've beaten OU by then, we're rooting for Wisconsin and Georgia in order to get Ohio State and Auburn to the losses. We want Stanford tonight for the same reason, and Clemson over Miami so the Canes have finished in two straight losses and have no championship. That sequence of results would lift us over five teams and present the committee with a straight choice between us and a Bama team without a championship. I don't think any other sequence of results gives us a hope in hell.
Check this out
Projects.fivethirtyeight.com
The best scenario I could do puts TCU in 5th spot. Unless there is some human factor like blowing out OU I don’t see them making the top 4.

VA Froggie

When we were ranked 4 and beat ISU by 40 or 50, moved us to 6 and out of the BCS, I don’t see us getting in now, I don’t care what the score is. Wish, yes, reality, no. I hope I’m wrong.