• The KillerFrogs

Is CFP really out of the question if we beat OU?

netty2424

I know a lot of people that said the same thing about TCU, BYU, and Utah during our MWC years. That 6-6 Texas Tech was better than 10-2 or 9-3 MWC team blah blah. It might be true, it might not be, but now that we're on the other side of the coin I don't think we should forget where we came from.
Cmon Todd. Let's not play revisionist history. I knew that's where you'd go, but things are not equal.

Is Fresno St now where TCU was when in MWC?

Wexahu

Due to the number of losses I'd assume. Who would you bet on to win in a bowl game? WVU/Texas vs Fresno St.

So what? Who do you think will win the game this week between Wisconsin and Ohio State? From what I can tell, pretty much everyone thinks OSU will win, but if they were ranked ahead of Wisconsin right now everyone would be throwing an absolute OSU jealousy fit. I'd bet on Alabama over almost anyone in a Bowl game, and I think they'd probably be favored by Vegas against anyone. What does that mean? That Alabama should be ranked higher than what they are? That sure isn't sentiment I am feeling.

Wexahu

I know a lot of people that said the same thing about TCU, BYU, and Utah during our MWC years. That 6-6 Texas Tech was better than 10-2 or 9-3 MWC team blah blah. It might be true, it might not be, but now that we're on the other side of the coin I don't think we should forget where we came from.

Honestly, I'd take Fresno State. I think both WVU and Texas are VERY average right now.

Zubaz

Cmon Todd. Let's not play revisionist history. I knew that's where you'd go, but things are not equal.

Not right now they aren't, but TCU in 2005 wasn't where TCU was in 2008 or 2009 either. We faced the same nonsense of "You're at 10 wins because you play weak teams". Blah blah. Maybe it's true for Fresno, maybe it's not, but it drove me nuts to hear it when it was us.

Lone Frog

I haven't forgotten. In fact, I still think fondly of the MWC and keep an eye on them. But the truth is the MWC is a pale shadow at best of what it was. In 2009-2010, it was by far the best non-AQ conference. Definitely better than the Big East. Likely better than the ACC, which was down back then. The top half of the conference, with us, Utah, BYU, even AF and SDSU in those years, were all damn solid. It was the bottom half that sucked. Now, it just seems like the bottom half has creeped out to take over most of the conference. Even Boise is nothing like it was (just look at their bowl performance last year).

Used to be you had to be pretty good to go 7-1 in the MWC. Now you just need to be marginally above average.

Zubaz

TCU was going undefeated in a MWC with BYU and a soon to be legit P5 team. Fresno st has 2 losses, one being to UNLV at home. A three loss MWC TCU never came close to seeing a top 25 ranking.
2007: 10-3 BYU ranked #25
2009: 10-3 Utah ranked #18
*After TCU's departure*
2016: 11-3 SDSU ranked #25

netty2424

So what? Who do you think will win the game this week between Wisconsin and Ohio State? From what I can tell, pretty much everyone thinks OSU will win, but if they were ranked ahead of Wisconsin right now everyone would be throwing an absolute OSU jealousy fit. I'd bet on Alabama over almost anyone in a Bowl game, and I think they'd probably be favored by Vegas against anyone. What does that mean? That Alabama should be ranked higher than what they are? That sure isn't sentiment I am feeling.
Wex I'm talking about Fresno St. Stop moving the target. I never mentioned Wiscy.

Wexahu

No, but TCU was in the Top 10 a few of those years, and routinely in the Top 25.....even made it to #3 once. That Fresno State sneaked in at #25 once shouldn't exactly be considered an outrage.

Wexahu

That doesn't surprise me. But I'll respect your picks there I suppose. Put Fresno St in Big12 this year and they win 2, maybe steal 1 to get 3.

Man, where have I heard that before. I don't think you're giving them near enough credit. On a neutral field, I'd take them over Texas, WVU, Kansas, Baylor and Tech right now and feel pretty good about it. I don't think they'd beat anyone else in the conference but that's 5 potential wins, two almost guaranteed wins.

Dogfrog

I assume there is an unwritten agreement among the college presidents to support the CFP decisions and not complain or campaign. This is because the cfp is so lucrative. Otherwise I would expect a school’s athletic department to start social media campaigns wherein they list where their team ranks positively on the various cfp committee criteria.

cheese83

I get that OSU played OU in Columbus, but the idea that we played OU about as tough as OSU did is just revisionist history. We were getting beat 38-14 at halftime and OU had about 400 yards of offense in the 1st half alone. The score after the 3rd quarter of the OSU-OU game was 17-13.

Saying that we played OU about the same as OSU did is quite a stretch. I know we played them in Norman and Ohio State played them in Columbus, but we were down 38-14 at half and I think OU had about 400 yards of offense by then. It was 17-13 after the 3rd quarter of the OU-OSU game. Exactly nobody who saw those games and isn't a TCU homer thought we played them about the same.

I'm not saying we wouldn't have a case vs Ohio State, their loss to Iowa was really bad, but at least be factual. And if the score in the Iron Bowl didn't show what happened in that game, then the score in our game with OU didn't show what happened in that game either. We could've lost by 40 had OU kept their foot on the gas.

Rodney Anderson wasn't even getting touches vs. Ohio St and he has taken OU to another level. Guy is making a Zeke like run when Ohio St won in 2014. Against us he almost had 300 yds of offense and vs. WV he had 4 TDs for over a 118 yds at 9.1 ypc. He would have shredded Ohio State.

netty2424

I don't think WVU or Texas would handle much of anyone that is any good. Have you seen them play lately? But to your point, if we're getting into who would beat who, I bet Alabama would still be a favorite over almost any team they play on a neutral field, so should they be ranked #1? Ohio State is a pretty strong favorite against Wisconsin. Because of that, should they be ranked higher going into this game? Because an awful lot of people think they're going to handle Wisky.

In some ways (like in the Fresno State case) it seems like how good the teams are who would win a game vs another opponent should be the determinant of where they are ranked, and then in other cases it seems like the record should take precedent. Which is it? If we're going by who would be favored in HTH matchups among the teams, I think the Top 4 come from the group of Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, Ohio State and Oklahoma. And that probably wouldn't even change much if there is an upset or two this weekend. You ok with that?

I honestly don't watch the shows. I think I've watched about 15 minutes of a CFP selection show back in the first couple weeks, late October probably. It's a bunch of meaningless chatter, I have no idea why people get so worked up about it.
I can't see WVU or UT losing to Fresno St. Just one mans opinion.

As for Alabama, The top 4-6 is muddy. You could put them in any order and almost make a case for it. The way I see he top 4 is they're all ranked #1 because if they're in top 4 in the final week, they're all in and any team in top 4 or top 5, 6, 7, 8 can get hot and win.

Alabama lost at the wrong time. That's why they're outside looking in. And outside of FSU, who's really turned out to be a boob, they don't have any huge wins. Alabama is probably where they should be and unfortunately for them, their CCG is them standing on TCU's sideline trading that Alabama crimson replacing it with purple and saying Go Frogs. We're probably their best hope.

As for how the teams are ranked, Fresno St is unfortunately in the MWC and playing lesser competition week in and week out. The MWC is really bad this year. They had two real shots to build a case for themselves which happened to be OOC, Alabama and Washington. I'm not saying they have to win, but they weren't even competitive.

Wexahu

Fresno St lost to UNLV...nuff said.

And I suppose everyone would feel better if a middling Big 10 or SEC team was put in at #25 instead of Fresno State, right? What about Michigan or Iowa, two teams that netty thought should be above Fresno. How do think that would've gone over?

There isn't a Big 12 team that is even a candidate to be in the Top 25 outside of TCU, OU, and OSU so that option isn't there. Virtually any team they put in there is probably going to be somebody that a Top 10 team beat. It's just more impulse complaining and looking for every little thing to try and claim a conspiracy. Good grief, if Fresno doesn't win this week they won't be ranked anymore, BFD.