• The KillerFrogs

Interesting Note on Duggan

Froggish

Taken from a 247 article..Good company and at least somewhat reflective of why he’s been solid protecting the ball.

“The last 15 first-round quarterbacks averaged over four touchdowns and less than .5 interceptions per game as a senior in high school. Top college quarterbacks Tua Tagovailoa, Justin Herbert, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow and Jake Fromm all averaged over four scores per game as seniors. 247Sports’ top-rated dual-threat quarterbacks from the 2019 cycle – Jayden Daniels (Arizona State), Bo Nix(Auburn), Sam Howell (North Carolina) and Max Duggan (TCU) – averaged at least 4.1 touchdowns and less than .62 interceptions as seniors. All four locked down starting jobs early on as freshmen.”

I did see a couple of positive things in that terrible first half against ISU.

1. Getting his feet going through Zone reads or RPO could really help him. His wheels are better then we are using.
2. On the season 90% of the mistakes he makes are on deep routes.
Example: On the sack fumble he had two wide open options to the blitz side (Thomas and Wells in the seam) but never even looked at that half of the field. He held it way to long locking in on Reagor..He throws the 6-8 yard route extremely well..

I see him making the right reads but I think his mistakes are youth driven. If he just understood a little be better what the defense wanted to do (comes with time) and Cumbie would stop putting him bad situations like empty backfield, blindside roll outs, and calling runs right into the defenses numbers...

Oh well...I know we are frustrated but I still think he’s going to turn into one of the better QBs to come through FTW.

Froggish

Nice article, Froggish.. On that fumble against ISU, I believe D.A. missed his block and let the defender get to Max, but he did take way too long..

DA did miss the block but the guy that got to him was actually a LB who stunted..They blitzed 3. I watched it about 10 times on replay and while DA whiffed his guy got there second

Pharm Frog

DA did miss the block but the guy that got to him was actually a LB who stunted..They blitzed 3. I watched it about 10 times on replay and while DA whiffed his guy got there second

That's true only because MD drifted away from him and toward his arm side. Maybe be held it too long. Maybe he latched on to JR too long and should have come off to another read. Maybe he should have airmailed it into the bench. But there is no maybe about this -- DA totally whiffed on his one pick-up assignment...went inside and then was too late getting back. He's got to be better than that but he's generally not which I why I wondered at the time why SO wasn't in that personnel package. SO is not awesome at it but he's far better than DA at picking up blocking assignments. And honestly....that makes sense given the type of backs they are.

AroundWorldFrog

On the sack fumble he had two wide open options to the blitz side (Thomas and Wells in the seam) but never even looked at that half of the field. He held it way to long locking in on Reagor..

I'm not sure about 1.5 seconds should be too long. That blitz was on him long before he had time to check down.

4th. down

I'm not sure about 1.5 seconds should be too long. That blitz was on him long before he had time to check down.

He didn't check down, he's a true freshman and it will come, we will just have to be patient with the growing pains and it will be painful, but next year........here we go again. Sonny should not have put him in that situation - too many of these situations by Cumbie, it's getting old.

The growing pains with Sonny will hopefully end this year (6th) if that's possible - he ain't no true freshman. It's okay to admit your mistakes, "I shouldn't have done that" we are hearing too many times now.

Limey Frog

He certainly looks the real deal. For all the numbskull game-planning Sonny was guilty of in September, and for all that I still have no long-term confidence in him and won't until he earns it then keeps it, it is nonetheless clear by this point that the 2019 Frogs' primary problem is GP's defense. That is surprising and depressing.

4th. down

He certainly looks the real deal. For all the numbskull game-planning Sonny was guilty of in September, and for all that I still have no long-term confidence in him and won't until he earns it then keeps it, it is nonetheless clear by this point that the 2019 Frogs' primary problem is GP's defense. That is surprising and depressing.

Yep, who in late August would have thought it would be the defense?

Froggish

Yep, who in late August would have thought it would be the defense?

Im disappointed in the defense but I feel like as leaky as they have been, and it’s been pretty leaky, they have been victimized a ton by our own offense.

Consider that against ISU its 7-3 game 3-4 minutes into the 2nd Q and then a ISU defensive TD comes. We then are in good shape hold them but let them off the hook on a penalty by Ross that gives them a 1st and they hit us on a wheel route..

Don’t get me wrong, at no point did I think we were going to keep them from scoring but if it we were trading points our energy and confidence on the defensive side may have been better

puckster59

There are very, very few kids who were playing high school football this time last year and can step into a P5 starting QB job and nail it. Howl all you want but expectations for that aren’t parallel with reality. The kid has made mistakes. He seems to ride an emotional roller coaster at times. Tries to throw it through people at times. But let’s face it. If the last two marquee signees at the position had planned out, Max would be redshirting. I have little doubt he’s going to get better. Probably a lot better. He’s a smart athletic player.

4th. down

There are very, very few kids who were playing high school football this time last year and can step into a P5 starting QB job and nail it. Howl all you want but expectations for that aren’t parallel with reality. The kid has made mistakes. He seems to ride an emotional roller coaster at times. Tries to throw it through people at times. But let’s face it. If the last two marquee signees at the position had planned out, Max would be redshirting. I have little doubt he’s going to get better. Probably a lot better. He’s a smart athletic player.

He definitely has talent and eventually he will help us forget that Sonny went after Robinson over Hurts so there's that. Comparing Max to Andy so far in the season, I would say he's ahead of Andy and playing against better competition.

Billy Clyde

No, Andy's freshman RS year, since most Frogs consider Andy as the benchmark QB. Maybe not a really good comp. because of the competition, and Andy started his career playing as a RS. Max is going to be a good one, real good.

I'm confused by the statement of Sonny "going after Robinson over Hurts." Hurts was playing for national championships while Robinson was in high school.

4th. down

I'm confused by the statement of Sonny "going after Robinson over Hurts." Hurts was playing for national championships while Robinson was in high school.

Yes, Hurts was class of '16 and Robinson '17. We didn't offer Hurts because Sonny was going after Robinson and we already had Wooten locked up.

Last edited: