• The KillerFrogs

If you wonder if CFB is fixed...

PurplePutt

I agree! Clear helmet to helmet contact! Will always be called, and under the rules it should be. Sorry, but the refs called it right. And I certainly have no skin in that game. Didn't matter to me.

BS! It wasn't clear to me and I replayed it several times. It wasn't clear to the guys in the booth who also said it was a bad call.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
BS! It wasn't clear to me and I replayed it several times. It wasn't clear to the guys in the booth who also said it was a bad call.

One of them was Craig James, so their opinion means nothing. I thought it was an easy call given the current rules.

Yes, this was the same crew as the Boise State game. I know one of the guys on the crew. The refs didn't really impact this game very much. I thought the key play was allowing a TD to the Aggies late in the game rather than spotting the ball at the 1. Might have turned out differently if the Whorns had 45 fewer seconds.

Helmet to helmet. Not a great call but the hit did occur. The hitter lowered his hat; the hittee's head snapped a bit. I don't like the call but helmet to helmet is going to get called more and more. So we'd better get used to that.

I agre with you and everyone else who feels the same. I've watched upwards of 200 CFB games this year and have seen that called countless times. Did he hold up? Yes. Could he have blown him up? Yes. But under the current interpretation of the rule it was correct. The rules committee put an emphasis on it this year an that's what they've been calling. The DB had 9.9 games to learn this. I don't like it either but that's how they've been calling it.

PurplePutt

One of them was Craig James, so their opinion means nothing. I thought it was an easy call given the current rules.

Yes, this was the same crew as the Boise State game. I know one of the guys on the crew. The refs didn't really impact this game very much. I thought the key play was allowing a TD to the Aggies late in the game rather than spotting the ball at the 1. Might have turned out differently if the Whorns had 45 fewer seconds.

I don't like Craig James either but give me a break. He wasn't the only one who raised the BS flag. I guess if Craig James said it was white and it really was white you would say it was black just because you hate him. No wonder I was suspended from this site for two months. Trying to refrain from calling out stupidity is really hard.

I'm not going to impugn the profession--but I think there's something in the psyche of human beings--not just officials, but all human beings--that sees a natural order to things, and I think UT gets the benefit of that tendency.

I think there's something to this. And while it sucks to be on the wrong end of it, generally a team earns that sort of tendency. UT has, but it's fading fast.

If we are still seeing this after another 7-5 season next year, I'll hear you out on a fix.

chairez

He just grazed him and could have blown him up. Terrible call and I am going to say that refs cheat. The fix is in. We saw in in the SMU game. We saw it at BSU. We saw it tonight. The game is being ruined by power and money.

perhaps i am naive. You would think that every official in the NCAA would be closely monitered financially....I agree; it always seems the calls go with the OU/TX's of the world. This concerns me, as we move forward into the B-12.

Kaiser

Yes it is a rule but he didn't even "hit" the guy...he bumped his helmet. Terrible call.

Helmet to helmet. Dumb dumb rule & a very frustrating rule. Not saying I loved the call, but wasn't surprised by it. They'll make that call on clean hits all the time.

The horse collar call on UT was pretty bad as well. I thought the Aggie was pulled down by his jersey.

PurplePutt

perhaps i am naive. You would think that every official in the NCAA would be closely monitered financially....I agree; it always seems the calls go with the OU/TX's of the world. This concerns me, as we move forward into the B-12.

I'm not saying they are on the take or being paid off. I am saying that they are influenced by their position within a conference. Did it ever dawn on you how much money the MWC would lose if BSU lost that game to TCU and did not go to a BCS game? How much prestige would that cost the conference. Who pays the refs. Were those refs tonight Big 12 refs? Who is leaving the Big 12? I hate to think it. It isn't a pretty thought but we all have seen a bunch of it this year. Calls that could have been made and weren't and calls that shouldn't have been made and were?

Kaiser

I barely even touched him! They called it as if he laid him out leading with his helmet

And they make that call all the time. Great hits without contact to the head get flagged nowadays. Barely touching someone's helmet gets flagged nowadays. I can't tell you just how many times I've screamed at the TV as a flag comes flying out for barely touching a QB.

It's ruining the game, but they always error on the side of throwing the flag. You don't have to murder-shot someone to get a flag.

He lead with his helmet. He pulled up. He made helmet to helmet contact. The flag came out. It was hardly a surprise.

Limp Lizard

They wont move an inch in the CPU polls, and no chance they move into the teens.
Massey and Sagarin will move them up. According to Massey #16 beat #15, Sagarin #17 beat #12 (rankings for BCS from those two). Move up one, two or more on those. BTW, both Massey and Sagarin have three loss Baylor #7!

Hopefully Baylor loses to Tech and beats Texas (or not, depending on the BCS rankings).

corpuschristifrog

Yes, this was the same crew as the Boise State game. I thought the key play was allowing a TD to the Aggies late in the game rather than spotting the ball at the 1. Might have turned out differently if the Whorns had 45 fewer seconds.

Good point. That would have made a big diference.
The horse collar call was brutal. I think the H to H play was one where the official could have decided to keep the flag in his pocket, but the Ags lost because of the second half interceptions and lousy coverage on the punt return for the td.

DentalFrog

Nice thread
wacko.gif

Dman890

It's not about hating UT. It's about hating seeing previously good games get decided by silly penalties.

The game was not decided by that call. Even with that call ut still had a 40 yard field goal....hardly a gimme by college standards.

If you're looking to narrow things down to one reason why the game was lost for a&m ....talk to tannehill about his 3 INTs.