• The KillerFrogs

If we don’t make a bowl

Fans need to stop equating recruiting starsies to talent.... talent can be put in a bad position but it typically doesn't get consistently pushed around.... Especially on the lines. Welp, that's all I've seen this year. Regardless of whose fault that is... We need to pick up the talent acquisition on the lines big time!
Precisely. I'd add to that there is no substitute for game experience. Every time we've had a peak, we've had a starting lineup full of guys with 30+ starts. It didn't matter if they were 2 or 3 starsies. When we've hit our valleys? We had a starting lineup with a lot of guys with less than 10 starts.

IMO, taking in 4 starsies from Bama or LSU or the like who never played meaningful downs is worse than taking in 3 stars from G5 programs who were producers and had 25+ starts.

Sangria Wine

If Dykes inherited a ton of talent, where are all of the talented players this season?
Literally every single one of them is in the NFL now. Like at least 30 of them. Aren’t you paying attention?!?!?!? LOL!

The reality of our hiring is hitting home this year...we are officially in Aggy/Uterus mode now…hello coaching carousel and fired coaches getting paid for laying around the house. Our future is looking more and more clear…

tmcats

The point I’m trying to make is that a lot of TCU fans are saying that Dykes inherited a team with a lot of talent, but if that were true, we would still have talented players in 2023.

I do not think Dykes inherited a team with a lot of talent. I think Dykes inherited a a talented senior group of starters, but an overall roster that lacked young talent behind them.

The same fans that refuse to give Dykes credit for 2022 because of the talented senior players he inherited are the same fans that are giving him 100% of the blame now that the young players he inherited are not talented.

There is only one full Dykes recruiting class on this team. The 2023 class, who are currently true freshman.
that seems completely rational and the reason i said above that it would foolish to can him now. bill snyder used to say that he wanted his old guys playing against the other guys youngsters. we all know why. tcu last year was a classic example.

Planks

Literally every single one of them is in the NFL now. Like at least 30 of them. Aren’t you paying attention?!?!?!? LOL!
Did all 135 players on the team graduate?

My response was to someone saying Dykes inherited a team with a ton of talent. If that was true, we would still have talent on the team today in 2023.

If the only talented players on the team are gone now, it means Dykes did NOT inherit a talented team. He inherited a talented senior group only.

Horned Toad

My response was to someone saying Dykes inherited a team with a ton of talent. If that was true, we would still have talent on the team today in 2023.

If the only talented players on the team are gone now, it means Dykes did NOT inherit a talented team. He inherited a talented senior group only.
He inherited a talented group of seniors with a lot of starts behind them, that struggled somewhat with Patterson, when they didn’t have a lot of starts behind them. What was it that Patterson used to say, “You have to grow them up”. Seems pretty prescient now to me that this is a normal cycle for TCU and other smaller schools like us. We get a group of players every three or four years that finally grow up. We are on the other side of that cycle at the moment. …And we have a stupid defense.

Sangria Wine

Bro…Bruh…sarcasm…I was making fun of people acting like ALL of the talent is suddenly gone. And that act like we lost all 22 starters and their backups and special teams and everybody who had ever played football before. Dykes is what he is and we are seeing it live and in color…

Froggy Style

Our team looked very average against one of the worst teams in the power 5 last year until Max entered the game. Our star players overcame the same ridiculously flawed defense last year. Why did we have so many gut-wrenching comebacks with 9 NFL players? Because Gillespie is a joke and Dykes is clueless as to recognize when he is watching a flawed defense...likely because he was a baseball player.

Serious questions, why would you ever play 15 yards off of a WR? Why would you continue to do it when they are getting 10 free yards whenever they want it? Why would you do that when you were blown out by 50 the previous week? Why do you allow teams to take advantage of your flaws without making adjustments?

LisaLT

We don't have a home run QB. The gap between Max and Morris and freshman Hoover is big. Losing Ali and Avila was big too. Even with the losses from last year, this team doesn't feel like it has a leader (like Max was last year). That makes a big difference IMO.

Froggy Style

We don't have a home run QB. The gap between Max and Morris and freshman Hoover is big. Losing Ali and Avila was big too. Even with the losses from last year, this team doesn't feel like it has a leader (like Max was last year). That makes a big difference IMO.
Leader is irrelevant...we have plenty of athletes.

Do you have a scheme for today's college football, and do you have coaches that know how to call plays? Further, do you have competent coaches that can adjust within the game. We have none of the above.

LisaLT

Leader is irrelevant...we have plenty of athletes.

Do you have a scheme for today's college football, and do you have coaches that know how to call plays? Further, do you have competent coaches that can adjust within the game. We have none of the above.
A leader can motivate the team in ways that could have turned some of these close losses into wins. It's important from the players perspective, but it is true that those in charge are not doing their jobs. That is clear.

ftwfrog

To quote Clark W Griswold, “I think you’re all scheissed in the head.”

We just went to the National Championship game.

Talk of firing this man will result in never finding another head coach to ever come here.

Go punch sand. And go thumb pop you’re own [ Arschloch].

The win on Dec 31, 2022 will allow me to be stress free until 2026 about frog football. I know some of you are used to national championship after national championship from 1980-2021, but I’ll cut the guy some slack.

CountryFrog

Seems unlikely given the recruiting rankings of those final few years for Patterson. The losses mounted for him, but the recruiting was not below par. Sonny and staff was a breath of fresh air last year and players responded to that. The team also had some super hero players (especially Max) who forced things to happen on many occasion. The honeymoon is over though now And its back to leadership, X’s and O’s and player motivation.
Recruiting rankings don't equal recruiting success. Go back and look at some of those classes and the highest rated guys. So many of them are players who had little to no impact. A few of them never even made it onto the field in a TCU uniform.

If you evaluate the classes beyond just rankings then it's hard to say Gary and crew were doing a great job. Obviously we got some really good players and I'm certainly not trying to suggest there was no talent at all. All I'm saying is that simply looking at some of those rankings doesn't come close to telling the whole story.

tetonfrog

We did reload through the portal and with high school recruiting. Compare the transfers that arrived before last year and the ones who came in after our title game appearance. We did not bring in enough impact guys to fill the holes on our roster.

Last year, offensively, Avila came in and toughened the interior of our OL - which was a huge weakness. We definitely miss that. On the perimeter, there has been a huge drop off from QJ, DD, etc. as the transfer WR group has been inconsistent at best. Defensively, what newcomers this year have made the impact that Williams, Hodges and Perry did last year?

That is why it is so concerning to hear everyone say we will fix our weaknesses through the portal again. We hit lightning in a bottle with Avila and company. I wonder if we can do it again.

We did reload through the portal and with high school recruiting. Compare the transfers that arrived before last year and the ones who came in after our title game appearance. We did not bring in enough impact guys to fill the holes on our roster.

Last year, offensively, Avila came in and toughened the interior of our OL - which was a huge weakness. We definitely miss that. On the perimeter, there has been a huge drop off from QJ, DD, etc. as the transfer WR group has been inconsistent at best. Defensively, what newcomers this year have made the impact that Williams, Hodges and Perry did last year?

That is why it is so concerning to hear everyone say we will fix our weaknesses through the portal again. We hit lightning in a bottle with Avila and company. I wonder if we can do it again.
I assume you mean Alan Ali who transferred from SMU? Avila was a 2018 TCU HS recruit, not a transfer.

Chongo94

I keep seeing this argument made that by firing a coach who just went to the national championship, we will never be able to hire another coach.

People gotta eat. Coaches will definitely come here because of some things known as a paycheck, money, and financial security.

They may not be a great coach, but it’s not like we have any coaching gurus here at the moment either.

Last edited: