• The KillerFrogs

I have been a basketball season ticket holder since the Tubbs era

Pharm Frog

Only 3 NCAA appearances in 50 years ('87,'98 & '18) makes this a systemic problem for TCU. One of Tubbs' assistants told me years after the Tubbs' regime explained it in this way to me. He said that while TCU is a very fine and respected institution, its administration refuses to look the other way on poor/no academic performance by the players while virtually all of the other universities that TCU competes with had no problem doing so. The bigger schools' coaches could search around and find enough blow off classes to do just enough to keep players eligible and not have to worry about academics. He said the basic question is- do you want good basketball players or do you want good student athletes who play basketball?

While I disagree with the forced choice I’d say that this would be among the easiest questions to answer. And, while it’s been quite awhile now since I was in the undergraduate classroom as an instructor, I was far more impressed with the basketball program’s approach to academics than I was the football program’s. Note: Not TCU.

tetonfrog

The core problem for TCU is recruiting. The Frogs do not have a consistent scorer from deep and they do not have a steady post-up guy down low. It is hard to beat good teams on a weekly basis in a tough league when you don’t know where your scoring is going to come from. Can’t score in over 5 minutes against K-State? That is Moe Iba awful.

This is on JD. Our flaws are obvious. I am not sure he is going to be able fix it, especially when most of the guys are back next year. Sure hope I am wrong.

ticketfrog123

Until you’re ready to fire Donati for not working with Dixon on his leaving for UCLA, you need to keep Jaime as well.
They need to go down together, maybe Donati actually leaving a year earlier.

yeah I don’t think anyone trusts Donati to make a good hire in basketball or especially football.

women’s soccer and baseball aren’t anything he should get credit for nor save his job

SuperTFrog

Only 3 NCAA appearances in 50 years ('87,'98 & '18) makes this a systemic problem for TCU. One of Tubbs' assistants told me years after the Tubbs' regime explained it in this way to me. He said that while TCU is a very fine and respected institution, its administration refuses to look the other way on poor/no academic performance by the players while virtually all of the other universities that TCU competes with had no problem doing so. The bigger schools' coaches could search around and find enough blow off classes to do just enough to keep players eligible and not have to worry about academics. He said the basic question is- do you want good basketball players or do you want good student athletes who play basketball?
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard from people within the football and basketball programs about transfers that don’t make any sense - They didn’t like school...

I don’t feel like everybody holds their athletes to the same academic standards and it hurts us a bunch. on our basketball team alone we’ve lost two really good point guards in the last 3 years because of that...

Dixon's program at this point is incredibly bad, bland, and impossible to watch. We should have let him walk when he tried to leave for UCLA. It is simply an awful product at this point