• The KillerFrogs

Hutchison (Kan.) News: McPherson junior finds his right fit with Horned Frogs

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[size="-1"]
By Vance Janak - The Hutchinson News - vjanak@hutchnews.com[/size]

Tyler Matthews could have waited.

The McPherson High junior quarterback could have held out for more schools to show stronger interest.

But there was no need. Matthews says he has everything he's looking for in Texas Christian. And after a visit to Fort Worth last Saturday, Matthews committed to the Horned Frogs.

"I have the school I want to go to," Matthews said, "and it fits all the things I was looking for so I went with it."

In addition to TCU's scholarship offer, Matthews said Kansas State had offered while Kansas, Oregon, Harvard, Missouri and several other schools either showed interest or Matthews felt they were close to offering. ...

Raw Frog

[size="-1"]
By Vance Janak - The Hutchinson News - vjanak@hutchnews.com[/size]

Tyler Matthews could have waited.

The McPherson High junior quarterback could have held out for more schools to show stronger interest.

But there was no need. Matthews says he has everything he's looking for in Texas Christian. And after a visit to Fort Worth last Saturday, Matthews committed to the Horned Frogs.

"I have the school I want to go to," Matthews said, "and it fits all the things I was looking for so I went with it."

In addition to TCU's scholarship offer, Matthews said Kansas State had offered while Kansas, Oregon, Harvard, Missouri and several other schools either showed interest or Matthews felt they were close to offering. ...

Raw Frog

The more I see and learn about this young man, the more excited I get.
I think we have a real stud here....
Great job coaches!

Gunner

Another to come in early. Pachall did that, as I recall.

This guy has the look of another Dalton, just from a physical size and academic perspective.

The times, they are a changin'. Remember when we could hardly find a QB, even went classes without one, not even enough for spring practice. Same thing happened with defensive tackles, and now we are deep at both...

GP did a pretty good job of coaching a team slim in the depth category. Now we will see if he can coach a team doubly full of talent...

FROGDADDY

Another to come in early. Pachall did that, as I recall.

This guy has the look of another Dalton, just from a physical size and academic perspective.

The times, they are a changin'. Remember when we could hardly find a QB, even went classes without one, not even enough for spring practice. Same thing happened with defensive tackles, and now we are deep at both...

GP did a pretty good job of coaching a team slim in the depth category. Now we will see if he can coach a team doubly full of talent...

I must have missed the year when we didn't have enough QB's to go through spring practice.

Gunner

Ha! I was hoping someone would jump on that. Do you remember the year we played Army and a walk on drove us down the field to beat a big underdog, Army. We just barely got out of there with a win. Well, the spring before that, things were so bad, they pulled that kid off the intermural fields to help out..

Pretty sure at that time, we had 2 or 3 scholarship QB's and that was it....I remember worrying if it was the end of the GP era.... scary situation. My biggest fear was they get a couple QB's hurt, and that happens...

froginaustin

Ha! I was hoping someone would jump on that. Do you remember the year we played Army and a walk on drove us down the field to beat a big underdog, Army. We just barely got out of there with a win. Well, the spring before that, things were so bad, they pulled that kid off the intermural fields to help out..

Pretty sure at that time, we had 2 or 3 scholarship QB's and that was it....I remember worrying if it was the end of the GP era.... scary situation. My biggest fear was they get a couple QB's hurt, and that happens...
Kyle Kummer?

Saved our butts, whoever it was.

konafrog

Kyle Kummer?

Saved our butts, whoever it was.

If it's the game I'm thinking of (2004?), Kyle Kummer got the start but was blowing it. GP convinced Brandon Hassell (still injured from a few games before) into going into the game. Lonta Hobbs was really the one who sealed the deal though.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
If it's the game I'm thinking of (2004?), Kyle Kummer got the start but was blowing it. GP convinced Brandon Hassell (still injured from a few games before) into going into the game. Lonta Hobbs was really the one who sealed the deal though.

That sounds right.

57Frog

Well Kyle Kummer went intothe game (or back into it ) and we were 3rd and 15 . Somewhere near midfield to start the play . Kyle connected with Ryan Pierson for a gain of about 17 yards for a first down . With Kummer at the helm we went in for a score to win the game .
This is how I remember it . Walk on #14 Kummer to walk on #87 Pierson saved the day .
Go Frogs .

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Well Kyle Kummer went intothe game (or back into it ) and we were 3rd and 15 . Somewhere near midfield to start the play . Kyle connected with Ryan Pierson for a gain of about 17 yards for a first down . With Kummer at the helm we went in for a score to win the game .
This is how I remember it . Walk on #14 Kummer to walk on #87 Pierson saved the day .
Go Frogs .

From the AP write-up:

By MARK JOHNSON
Associated Press Writer
WEST POINT, N.Y. (AP) - Lonta Hobbs scored his second touchdown with 41 seconds left to rally TCU to a 21-17 victory over Army on Saturday that extended the Black Knights' losing streak to 19 games, the longest in the nation.

TCU needed to score 21 straight points to beat an Army team that has not won at home since defeating Tulane 42-37 on Oct. 27, 2001.

Hobbs ran for 106 yards, and his closing 2-yard scoring run capped an 11-play, 62-yard drive. Brandon Hassell, replacing an ineffective Kyle Kummer at quarterback, completed 14 of 23 passes for 158 yards and one touchdown for TCU (3-2, 1-1).

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The 4-year college in town, McPherson College, uses the bulldog as it's mascot, so the high school uses the "bullpup".

OK, and after a Google search I learned what a bullpup really is. At first I pictured like a baby walrus and wondered why a Kansas team would have that as a mascot :rolleyes:...