• The KillerFrogs

Hurricane

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
It's disgusting, but inevitable, to see these disasters politicized. The worst I've seen is the French magazine Charlie Hebdo, which celebrated dying Texans as neo-Nazis, with the headline that God Exists (presumably as demonstrated by Him wiping out us neo-Nazi Texans). Never mind that Harris County is blue, formerly represented by a proudly outspoken gay mayor, now by an African-American mayor, and that Houston is literally the most diverse city in the country. But don't let facts get in the way of stereotypes.

The magazine cover:

920x920.jpg

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-w...do-Harvey-drowned-12163943.php#photo-14025940

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
It's disgusting, but inevitable, to see these disasters politicized. The worst I've seen is the French magazine Charlie Hebdo, which celebrated dying Texans as neo-Nazis, with the headline that God Exists (presumably as demonstrated by Him wiping out us neo-Nazi Texans). Never mind that Harris County is blue, formerly represented by a proudly outspoken gay mayor, now by an African-American mayor, and that Houston is literally the most diverse city in the country. But don't let facts get in the way of stereotypes.

The magazine cover:

920x920.jpg

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-w...do-Harvey-drowned-12163943.php#photo-14025940
Good lord.

scheiss the French.

Wexahu

[ darn ] this guy

Yes, I'm already TOTALLY worn out on people trying to take credit/pass blame based on relief efforts. It's trendy and hip to give to the relief effort now, that's all it is. Once the trend wears off in a few days, everyone will mostly stop giving.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Good lord.

[ darn ] the French.

Here's the best example of why French people comparing Texans to neo-Nazis is ignorant and despicable:

Audie Murphy (from Kingston, Texas) received the Distinguished Service Cross[49][50] for action taken on 15 August 1944, during the first wave of the Allied invasion of southern France.[51] After landing on Yellow Beach near Ramatuelle,[52] Murphy's platoon was attacked by German soldiers while making their way through a vineyard. He retrieved a machine gun that had been detached from the squad and returned fire at the German soldiers, killing two and wounding one.[52]Two Germans exited a house about 100 yards (91 m) away and appeared to surrender; when Murphy's best friend responded, they shot and killed him. Murphy advanced alone on the house under direct fire. He killed six, wounded two and took 11 prisoner.[52]

Murphy was with the 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment during the 27–28 August offensive at Montélimar that secured the area from the Germans.[51][53] Along with the other soldiers who took part in the action, he received the Presidential Unit Citation.[54]

Murphy's first Purple Heart was for a heel wound received in a mortar shell blast on 15 September 1944 in northeastern France.[55][56][57] His first Silver Star came after he killed four and wounded three at a German machine gun position on 2 October at L'Omet quarry in the Cleurie river valley.[49] Three days later, Murphy crawled alone towards the Germans at L'Omet, carrying an SCR-536 radio and directing his men for an hour while the Germans fired directly at him.

When his men finally took the hill, 15 Germans had been killed and 35 wounded. Murphy's actions earned him a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster for his Silver Star.[58] He was awarded a battlefield commission to second lieutenant on 14 October, which elevated him to platoon leader.[59] While en route to Brouvelieures on 26 October, the 3rd Platoon of Company B was attacked by a German sniper group. Murphy captured two before being shot in the hip by a sniper; he returned fire and shot the sniper between the eyes. At the 3rd General Hospital at Aix-en-Provence,[60] the removal of gangrene from the wound caused partial loss of his hip muscle and kept him out of combat until January.[49] Murphy received his first Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster for his Purple Heart for this injury.[61][62]

The Colmar Pocket, 850 square miles (2,200 km2) in the Vosges Mountains, had been held by German troops since November 1944.[63] On 14 January 1945, Murphy rejoined his platoon, which had been moved to the Colmar area in December.[64] He moved with the 3rd Division on 24 January to the town of Holtzwihr, where they faced a strong German counterattack.[65] He was wounded in both legs, for which he received a second Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster for his Purple Heart.[66] As the company awaited reinforcements on 26 January, he was made commander of Company B.[67]

The Germans scored a direct hit on an M10 tank destroyer, setting it alight, forcing the crew to abandon it.[68] Murphy ordered his men to retreat to positions in the woods, remaining alone at his post, shooting his M1 carbine and directing artillery fire via his field radio while the Germans aimed fire directly at his position.[69] Murphy mounted the abandoned, burning tank destroyer and began firing its .50 caliber machine gun at the advancing Germans, killing a squad crawling through a ditch towards him.[70] For an hour, Murphy stood on the flaming tank destroyer returning German fire from foot soldiers and advancing tanks, killing or wounding 50 Germans. He sustained a leg wound during his stand, and stopped only after he ran out of ammunition.[68] Murphy rejoined his men, disregarding his own injury, and led them back to repel the Germans. He insisted on remaining with his men while his wounds were treated.[68] For his actions that day, he was awarded the Medal of Honor.[71]The 3rd Infantry Division was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for its actions at the Colmar Pocket, giving Murphy a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster for the emblem.[72]

On 16 February, Murphy was promoted to first lieutenant[73] and was awarded the Legion of Merit for his service from 22 January 1944 to 18 February 1945.[74] He was moved from the front lines to Regimental Headquarters and made a liaison officer.[75]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

SnoSki

Yes, I'm already TOTALLY worn out on people trying to take credit/pass blame based on relief efforts. It's trendy and hip to give to the relief effort now, that's all it is. Once the trend wears off in a few days, everyone will mostly stop giving.

Yep. Guilty, here.

The church I attend is taking up donations and guiding some folks on how to give now, but has already said that it won't turn up its efforts to help the city for a few months so that they can figure out how to do it well and also so that they can be there when others have left because it's old news. We're not perfect but it's a good thought IMO.

f_399

25% of the entire country's refining capacity is on the Freeport to Port Arthur arc. It is all down for now.

There is no actual gasoline shortage. The full supply chain is just fine. There were some temporary curtailment of refinery operations, but they were not shut down and did not suffer any meaningful damage. This is absurd. Give it a day and it will be back to normal. Any shortages are extremely localized and purely caused by irrational fear of shortages, not by actual supply constraints.

I'm in a position to actually know what I'm talking about on this one.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

Perhaps he has more up to the date info, but they were still reporting the nations largest refinery in Port Arthur is down. Unless there's has been a change all of ones on the ship channel were down. I used to work at the Shell refinery in Deer Park and it flooded with much much less rain. Not to mention roads in and out.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
Perhaps he has more up to the date info, but they were still reporting the nations largest refinery in Port Arthur is down. Unless there's has been a change all of ones on the ship channel were down. I used to work at the Shell refinery in Deer Park and it flooded with much much less rain. Not to mention roads in and out.

Yes Port Arthur is temporarily shut in with no damage. At the same time, the Corpus Christi Valero and Flint Hills facilities are ramping back up. This is an irrational panic. The full supply chain is intact and operational. Absent the current panic, the Port Arthur shut in would cause temporary surges in pricing but no shortages. The localized shortages are entirely due to panic buying and not supply disruption.