• The KillerFrogs

How FFF are you?

Paul in uhh

IIRC, the horse and rider galloped towards the tunnel passage and the horse slipped on the concrete skirt that runs around the wall and out in front of the tunnel, hitting the concrete corner of the passage at speed and breaking several bones. I think it was the first time the horse and rider had done the ride in the refurbished stadium, and the transition from turf to concrete was not handled well.
Horses name was Elmer too

ShadowFrog

Moderators
One of the popular cartoons in the Skiff was "Our Fred" in the late 60's. It lampooned the HC, Fred Taylor. Probably the most memorable one was in '69 of Texas football players carrying a bewildered Fred on their shoulders after a lopsided win. In '67 TCU carried off Taylor after beating Texas.
If memory serves, and granted it often doesn’t, I recall Fred Taylor had an afterlife at TCU after coaching because I think he was still working in financial aid when I arrived in 77.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
IIRC, the horse and rider galloped towards the tunnel passage and the horse slipped on the concrete skirt that runs around the wall and out in front of the tunnel, hitting the concrete corner of the passage at speed and breaking several bones. I think it was the first time the horse and rider had done the ride in the refurbished stadium, and the transition from turf to concrete was not handled well.
If anyone posts the video of this, please use the NSFQ warning. Thanks.

froghair

The details of my joining here are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe and shortly thereafter discovered this place.
Sounds like a pretty standard childhood.

Limp Lizard

If memory serves, and granted it often doesn’t, I recall Fred Taylor had an afterlife at TCU after coaching because I think he was still working in financial aid when I arrived in 77.
Fred kinda got a raw deal. He had a very talented team in '70 that had not matured enough to win, but he did recruit well. Ironically Fred was fired for not winning with the new prized athletes, primarily African-American, players; then his replacement enacted policies which saw most of them leave. Fred had always done well with the Freshman teams, don't know if he was just over his head or needed another year.

Yet with all the turmoil which was a factor in the late 60's-early 70's, what turned TCU from a mediocre program into an abysmal program was the hiring of Jim Shofner. On paper Shofner was a great hire. But he could neither recruit(Mike Renfro being a huge exception) nor motivate players. Pity, because he seemed like a really knowledgeable coach and great person. Just a horrible college head coach. Oh well.

Deep Purple

Deep Purple made a bet with another poster back in June or so that college football would have zero fans in attendance, and if we did have fans attend games which was impossible, he would never post on this board again haha
Really? Wow. If so he has been a man of his word
No not really. I took a long break from the board for a little over a year. Lots of other things going on in my life at the time, including some health issues. I didn't post on the board at all in June. Anybody who can use the Search function can verify.

Last edited:
My activity has fallen off, but I started posting on the FFF as a current TCU student around 1999. I have been TCU2002 the entire time.

I remember when YA was youngalum. I guess he aged out of that handle.

Mention must be made of the legendary pessimist of that era, who posted as Boston Frog. Despite the fact that TCU's athletics history had been so meager since 1960, absolutely nothing would satisfy that guy. I hope the Rose Bowl win finally did.
I went to the Rose Bowl with Boston Frog. I can assure you that it was the greatest day ever for him. So much so that he never fell back into his Eeyore routine on here. He’s a quality person, one of the best I’ve ever known.

I joined in 2003 I believe, while we trying to close out an undefeated season. Ironically, I found this place through the old Star Telegram TCU message board. Anybody remember that site? They actually had a TCU message board.

My earliest memories were the meltdowns during 2004. And then again in 2007. Good times. I live 1,200 miles from FW. Back in 2003, this place was my only window into the TCU world. I’ll be forever grateful for the joy it has brought me. I’ve shed a few tears with all of you, too.

I’ve met more than 20 members on here over the years, including Scott and Wes. Many of them have become close friends. We’ve gone to bowls together, road games, etc. We text and email on holidays and birthdays. This place grew my TCU world in ways I can’t even explain and enriched my life with valuable friendships.

HG73

I joined in 2009. Was following something called "Coaches Hot Seat" online, had a lot of college football newspaper articles but precious little on TCU. Told Rufe Bruton about it and he told me to go to something called Killer Frogs. Said it had all the TCU articles every day from around the country. (Thanks Top.) I did and asked Rufe if he kept up with any of the posts. He replied "Nah, that's just a bunch gasholes fighting with each other."

I been here ever since.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I joined in 2009. Was following something called "Coaches Hot Seat" online, had a lot of college football newspaper articles but precious little on TCU. Told Rufe Bruton about it and he told me to go to something called Killer Frogs. Said it had all the TCU articles every day from around the country. (Thanks Top.) I did and asked Rufe if he kept up with any of the posts. He replied "Nah, that's just a bunch gasholes fighting with each other."

I been here ever since.
If memory serves, you sat with Mrs. Brewingfrog and I at the Killerfrogs Lunch at Pappa's Burger in 2011.

Froginbedford

Fred kinda got a raw deal. He had a very talented team in '70 that had not matured enough to win, but he did recruit well. Ironically Fred was fired for not winning with the new prized athletes, primarily African-American, players; then his replacement enacted policies which saw most of them leave. Fred had always done well with the Freshman teams, don't know if he was just over his head or needed another year.

Yet with all the turmoil which was a factor in the late 60's-early 70's, what turned TCU from a mediocre program into an abysmal program was the hiring of Jim Shofner. On paper Shofner was a great hire. But he could neither recruit(Mike Renfro being a huge exception) nor motivate players. Pity, because he seemed like a really knowledgeable coach and great person. Just a horrible college head coach. Oh well.

I remember reading Bob Lilly (?) quoted during the shake up of SWC to WAC that Fred Taylor was on the verge of dominating the conference....His first year he beat UT in Austin, coming from behind 17-6 and winning 24-17....Yeah, Shofner was the nadir of coaching....He lost to UTA...and left behind a team that also lost to UTA under F. A. Dry....However, Dry did beat Arkansas, so he had a redeemable quality....

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I remember reading Bob Lilly (?) quoted during the shake up of SWC to WAC that Fred Taylor was on the verge of dominating the conference....His first year he beat UT in Austin, coming from behind 17-6 and winning 24-17....Yeah, Shofner was the nadir of coaching....He lost to UTA...and left behind a team that also lost to UTA under F. A. Dry....However, Dry did beat Arkansas, so he had a redeemable quality....
I remember Taylor beat SMU in his last game and the team carried him off the field.