• The KillerFrogs

How FFF are you?

SuperBarrFrog

I officially joined in 2015 but had lurked for a year or so before that. I got into the site after I had bad accident at work and was home in worker’s comp for 2 1/2 years. The site definitely helped cheer me up and keep me going your that time. I’ve never knowingly met any of the folks in here in person but hopefully that will change next time I make it back for a football game (hopefully this year)

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I think Frog Fan Forum was the message board of the Online with the Horned Frogs website. The name moved over to them. I went into doing some part-time sports writing for TCU & Fox Sports and needed to drop the association with the message boards because it wasn't in great favor with TCU Athletic Dept. I gave it to Wes & Company and had a deal with Rivals to move my board to their site. The Rivals site was super slow at the time and we had a plan for everyone to move to the new site at KFC. I got some Rivals stock that was soon worthless when they went bankrupt. Scott took over by himself for a while when he came on board, but then let Wes back in after his son passed so he would have something to do. Wes told me a number of times how much that meant to him. Miss them.
Awesome. Thanks Don for that info. I knew you went to work for TCU snd that was why you turned the board over to Wes. I didn’t remember FFF name being part of your board but OK. Thanks again.

Last edited:

tcudoc

I think Frog Fan Forum was the message board of the Online with the Horned Frogs website. The name moved over to them. I went into doing some part-time sports writing for TCU & Fox Sports and needed to drop the association with the message boards because it wasn't in great favor with TCU Athletic Dept. I gave it to Wes & Company and had a deal with Rivals to move my board to their site. The Rivals site was super slow at the time and we had a plan for everyone to move to the new site at KFC. I got some Rivals stock that was soon worthless when they went bankrupt. Scott took over by himself for a while when he came on board, but then let Wes back in after his son passed so he would have something to do. Wes told me a number of times how much that meant to him. Miss them.
This post deserves more likes. This guy is the godfather, people!

Eight

This post deserves more likes. This guy is the godfather, people!

maxresdefault.jpg

giphy.gif

tumblr_inline_p8nahacb4l1r4j8j1_500.gifv

Virginia Frog

Don would know and Deep Purple (what happened to him?) used to share the board history. I am sure some or most of this is incorrect so those who have better info please share.
At Mobile Bowl #1 (1999, W vs. EastCarolina), I went looking for the famous "Deep Purple." He had posted his seat assignment which was five rows in front of mine in the same section. Trouble was I didn't remember the exact seats.

I must has asked 50 people if they were "Deep Purple" or knew "Deep Purple" and I was met with puzzled looks, stares and shrugs. Many of those folks may have thought I was a mental patient that had wandered away from the institution. I never made the connection.

One fellow in particular engaged me longer than any - a 40 something man (which fit his profile at the time) - and I bet today that was him. I guess he didn't want his cover exposed or maybe he was in witness protection.:p

I found the FFF somewhere around 1996-7. I know it was after I went down to VaTech in Dec. '95 for the Billy-ball L to the Hokies.

I know I was on the WAC board soon following - I remember Bill Tanner a FresnoSt fan who had some wild and out-there ideas about the conference post-breakup, he was always entertaining - it was certainly before the WAC-MWC breakup announcement in May/Jun 1998.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
At Mobile Bowl #1 (1999, W vs. EastCarolina), I went looking for the famous "Deep Purple." He had posted his seat assignment which was five rows in front of mine in the same section. Trouble was I didn't remember the exact seats.

I must has asked 50 people if they were "Deep Purple" or knew "Deep Purple" and I was met with puzzled looks, stares and shrugs. Many of those folks may have thought I was a mental patient that had escaped from the institution. I never made the connection.

One fellow in particular engaged me longer than any - a 40 something man (which fit his profile at the time) - and I bet today that was him. I guess he didn't want his cover exposed or maybe he was in witness protection.

I found the FFF somewhere around 1996. It was after I went down to VaTech in Dec. '95 for the Billy-ball L to the Hokies.
Was it you playing the trumpet at the TCU-Virginia game in 2010?

Virginia Frog

Was it you playing the trumpet at the TCU-Virginia game in 2010?
No. I'm more of a Rock N Roll, and Bluegrass guitar man.

At UVA I did not sit with the TCU crowd in the end zone. On my way in, I bought some great 45 yard-line seats in the UVA faithful area.

At first I was treated as an intruder of sorts but after the UVAers accepted the fact that TCU 's ass kicking wasn't personal, I made a lot of friends with the mostly UVA alum crowd. Small world, the guy sitting next to me had a golf buddy who was my teammate at T.C. Williams back in the '70s.

I had a TCU fb media guide and many wanted to look at it it. Most knew little or nothing of TCU and there were many questions about the school. I did my best to "educate" them and gave TCU some good P.R.

What was memorable was the UVA Cavalier character falling off his horse!

Ron Swanson

No. I'm more of a Rock N Roll, and Bluegrass guitar man.

At UVA I did not sit with the TCU crowd in the end zone. On my way in, I bought some great 45 yard-line seats in the UVA faithful area.

At first I was treated as an intruder of sorts but after the UVAers accepted the fact that TCU 's ass kicking wasn't personal, I made a lot of friends with the mostly UVA alum crowd. Small world, the guy sitting next to me had a golf buddy who was my teammate at T.C. Williams back in the '70s.

I had a TCU fb media guide and many wanted to look at it it. Most knew little or nothing of TCU and there were many questions about the school. I did my best to "educate" them and gave TCU some good P.R.

What was memorable was the UVA Cavalier character falling off his horse!
Dude almost killed himself with that sword

tcudoc

One of the popular cartoons in the Skiff was "Our Fred" in the late 60's. It lampooned the HC, Fred Taylor. Probably the most memorable one was in '69 of Texas football players carrying a bewildered Fred on their shoulders after a lopsided win. In '67 TCU carried off Taylor after beating Texas.
Hilarious. Sounds like it was pretty edgy for its time.

BrewingFrog

Also happened several years later when playing tech, I believe it was a girl that fell that day
Yes, and they had to drag the horse out back and shoot it afters.

At least she didn't try to fall on a cavalry sabre!

BrewingFrog

The horse was put down? Did not know that
IIRC, the horse and rider galloped towards the tunnel passage and the horse slipped on the concrete skirt that runs around the wall and out in front of the tunnel, hitting the concrete corner of the passage at speed and breaking several bones. I think it was the first time the horse and rider had done the ride in the refurbished stadium, and the transition from turf to concrete was not handled well.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
IIRC, the horse and rider galloped towards the tunnel passage and the horse slipped on the concrete skirt that runs around the wall and out in front of the tunnel, hitting the concrete corner of the passage at speed and breaking several bones. I think it was the first time the horse and rider had done the ride in the refurbished stadium, and the transition from turf to concrete was not handled well.
That was pretty ugly.