• The KillerFrogs

How do you repay a friend who gave you something priceless?

YCBJ Frog

I was speechless when my friend Mike did this. He recently moved and was going through some boxes from his childhood and found a 1939 Sugar Bowl TCU vs Carnegie Tech program in the bottom of a box of comic books that he bought at a comic book store as a kid for a few bucks. He never looked completely through the box until now, and when he saw the program he immediately thought of me (the only TCU alum he knows). He gave it to me as a birthday present and a congrats on finishing my second year of medical school. To make things even better, when he gave it to me he opened it and showed me where my great-great grandfather made our family business a sponsor that year, which neither I nor anyone in my family knew about. I immediately put the program in a fireproof safe, and I'll post some pictures later.

I found a website that has one for just under $400 and seems to be in comparable condition (perfect or nearly perfect). Image from the website:

39sbcfp-200.jpg

So back to my original question. How the hell can I repay this? He's a big LSU fan, so I'm thinking of finding some LSU memorabilia that is equally valuable and giving it to him as a wedding present (he's getting married in a few months), and I'm also thinking of inviting him and his fiancee to join me and my girlfriend on vacation later this summer. If I don't do something nice, I just won't feel right about accepting this.

asleep003

You're on the right track... however, going out and spending a lot of money to repay him for something he
had no investment in, may make this fellow feel a little uncomfortable/ for going over the top. However, he
is a special friend and you should make your thanks also special, but not necessarily too monetary!
Cheers!

texasrobster1997

I think your idea about the LSU is a good one. I wouldn't rush into it though bc it would diminish the thoughtfulness of the gift. Just keep your eye out for something and surprise him, even if it's years later. It will be more meaningful and won't come off as a gift of "obligation."

YCBJ Frog

Those are both good pieces of advice that I hadn't really thought about. Thanks guys!

I knew the kfc crowd would be able to help me wrap my brain around this.

Dogfrog

A heartfelt, hand written note of thanks, along with photo of you holding it with a big smile on your face would be nice.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Tenderloin steaks (Hand butchered and cut thick, it's not so hard. Consult the great Saint Alton's 'Tender is the Loin' for tips and pointers), served with roasted asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes. Wine should be Sullivan 'Coeur de Vigne' or a Cakebread (anything red), or perhaps an offering from Rombauer (again, anything red, but their Zinfandel is better served with game meats or lamb than beef).

A fine meal is a memorable thing!

Or, Hell, do what I did for a friend once. Buy him a keg box. It is truly the gift that keeps on giving!

Frog DJ

Your first-born male child might be enough. :tongue:

Seriously, my daughter went to LSU, and those Tiger fans are just as dedicated as we are, and some memorabilia from Swampsville would be really cool.

Like others, I suggest you keep looking until you find something truly special, like an autographed picture of Billy Cannon, or something.

Go Frogs!

YCBJ Frog

Your first-born male child might be enough. :tongue:

Seriously, my daughter went to LSU, and those Tiger fans are just as dedicated as we are, and some memorabilia from Swampsville would be really cool.

Like others, I suggest you keep looking until you find something truly special, like an autographed picture of Billy Cannon, or something.

Go Frogs!

I actually have one of those, and it's something I'm considering giving to him. The guy I bought it from on ebay supposedly bought some old photo film from a Baton Rouge Advocate photographer's widow (probably BS), and included in it was a picture he took from the sideline of the halloween night run that sealed the Heisman. The guy made a bunch of prints from the film and then had them signed by Billy Cannon, and I bought it on ebay for a pretty low price. It's actually pretty easy to get Cannon's autograph--he does a lot of appearances because he's not exactly financially well-off after his stint in club fed--but it was the sideline view of the run that made it really cool. It's similar to this well-known shot of the run, but from a different angle and I think a second or so earlier in the play:

cannon5jpg-269ade36ef671551_medium.jpg

I definitely like the idea of an IOU with the home-and-home series. He's a die-hard with great season tickets, so he'll have a great vantage point for us whooping them in Baton Rouge so I may have to make sure he gets a good view of the whooping in Fort Worth.

YCBJ Frog

On the message board I frequent for my other purple team - There's a guy that goes by the screen name "AntiqueTiger" - He's got a TON of great LSU stuff. Some he keeps, some he sells. Some is pricey, some is just... interesting. Next time I see he's online, I'll pass along your story and get you an Email addy. I'm sure he'd be able to help you out one way or another.

I've actually seen some of his stuff on there, and I definitely agree with your assessment of some of it being "interesting". He's definitely got some good stuff, but some of it makes you scratch your head, haha.

That program was a great find and an outstanding testament to the friendship you and your buddy have. :cheers:

Thanks, I appreciate that. He's a great guy and a better friend. Despite being a person of modest means, he'd give any of his close friends the shirt off his back... or in this case, something worth several hundred dollars because as he said "it'll mean more to you than a few extra bucks in my pocket will mean to me".

monkeyfishfrog

[quote name='you_can't_be_joking' timestamp='1306776780' post='843607']

So back to my original question. How the hell can I repay this? [/quote]

How about a BJ

ricksterh

Thats a great story and a fine gift to you and some good ideas on here. I had a buddy who was a big LSU fan and I have been to a lot of games over there. Mike the Tiger in the cage before the game and then at 5:45 when it is just starting to get dark when the golden girls and the band come down the hill playing the Tiger school fight song is an awesome spectacle. Maybe a video of some kind for him would be something special he would enjoy. :biggrin:

yurintroubl

I'm sorry, but that picture on the cover is just WRONG.

Perhaps you aren't considering the context...

The Sugar Bowl is right after New Year's Day (Jan 2nd that year)... Stop freakin' out on Father Time (1938 on his helmet) and the New Year Baby (1939 on his helmet).
:wink:

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Perhaps you aren't considering the context...

The Sugar Bowl is right after New Year's Day (Jan 2nd that year)... Stop freakin' out on Father Time (1938 on his helmet) and the New Year Baby (1939 on his helmet).
:wink:
Yes, troub, I got it.

Still wrong.

And let's not forget what happened in 1939: Generalissimo Francisco Franco* won the Spanish Civil War, Hitler invaded Poland and started World War II, and Lou Gehrig was diagnosed with ALS. All because that poor little baby got traumatized by seeing that old man's keester at the Sugar Bowl!

* who is still dead...

yurintroubl

And let's not forget what happened in 1939: Generalissimo Francisco Franco* won the Spanish Civil War, Hitler invaded Poland and started World War II, and Lou Gehrig was diagnosed with ALS. All because that poor little baby got traumatized by seeing that old man's keester at the Sugar Bowl!

* who is still dead...

:biggrin: That's actually very funny... although I'm afraid about 85% won't get the reference.

NubomTurk

Tier 1
:biggrin: That's actually very funny... although I'm afraid about 85% won't get the reference.
Meh... A 15% hit rate isn't bad for a joke.

Speaking of which, I have a question about your Username:

Is it supposed to be read as "Why you are in trouble" or "You're in trouble"? (Either one is good, but I personally like the first option better.)

Or are you a urologist? Because "yurin trouble" could be interpreted as...well, you get my question...

Well if he's an LSU fan, then the perfect gift would be the program from the 1936 Sugar Bowl that LSU played in. I don't recall who they played in that one, or whether they won or lost... :rolleyes: :biggrin: