• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

PDM92

Now compare conference titles, top 25 finishes, and top 10 finishes since the end of the SWC

Houston doesn't have a lot of those

And somehow we're about to be in the same conference. What does that say?

And tell me the historic win-loss in the TCU-Houston series. Again, I'm sure TCU has overwhelmed UH. (Also shoot us the basketball stats when you have a chance.).

Look, I know you guys are disappointed about having UH in your conference, but that's where we are. TCU earned its spot, and UH has earned its spot. I don't really understand the ill will toward UH. We haven't taken anything from TCU; you guys and the Big12 have invited us in.

Mean Purple

Man there is a bunch of weeping and gnashing of teeth on here. What's done is done. I think the rumor of the day is about the best we can do under the circumstances. What's even more important, IMO, is solidify the remaining teams and don't give anybody a reason to go sniffing around for greener grass.

Hell, we might not like this but we must embrace it! A conference full of inglorious basterds can wreck shop and give the world the middle finger while doing it! Let the butthurt run through us! be evil and enjoy playing the basterd.

We must all hang together or assuredly we shall hang separately. Just my opinion.

Go Frogs.

NF
uh, the best we can do is for TCU to go make a deal with the PAC and bolt this [ Finebaum ] show. no way in hell we remain a Power # conf.

Mean Purple

And tell me the historic win-loss in the TCU-Houston series. Again, I'm sure TCU has overwhelmed UH. (Also shoot us the basketball stats when you have a chance.).

Look, I know you guys are disappointed about having UH in your conference, but that's where we are. TCU earned its spot, and UH has earned its spot. I don't really understand the ill will toward UH. We haven't taken anything from TCU; you guys and the Big12 have invited us in.
what is says is the rest of the conf wants free license plates and discount hubcaps.

Eight

Now that you have your chest puffed out, why don't you tell us TCU's average attendance the year before they joined the Big12 and the 5-year average attendance before they joined the Big12. I don't know those numbers, but I know that TCU put an excellent product on the field during that period. Just let us know the numbers. I'm sure they were much better than UH's numbers.

touchy aren't we? so please let me know if anything i wrote was wrong.

oh, and for clarification you are wanting me to compare the attendance numbers for a school with roughly 25% of the enrollment of houston and less than half the alumni because i don't think you are going to like the results

Creeperfrog

Hey man. Can we just calm down... I'm trying to calm down. We are good. Personally, as a frog and houstonian, let's just not show how big each others balls are. I'm happy, we all should be happy. This is best case scenario

here you go:

they were bad that year going 4-8 and 2-6 in conference play. dana's first year and he rolled the dice a bit if i recall correctly and redshirted some key players while waiting for a few transfers to be eligible the next year.

only problem is he lost his quarterback and things didn't go well the next year as well.

oh, here are the numbers for accuracy sake:

#25 Cincy at Houston 25,716

#16 SMU at Houston 24,543

#18 Memphis at Houston 25,149

#24 Navy because we know the academies have supporters everywhere right? 22, 824

for further accuracy, here is the link to the 2017 game against tech in houston when both teams were 2-0 coming in and klif was still coaching tech. draw was over 36,000+

ironically, the rice game the week before outdrew that game at 38k+ but anyone in the gulf coast KNOWS how crazy the week of the bayou bucket game gets. non stop conversation on sports radio etc.....
Thanks for the detail and the Navy/academies quip. I now remember Holgie sacrificed that year, D’eriq King being the QB he sat and then lost. Houston fans thus sat on the “sidelines” too. Houston lack of passion worries. I don’t think graduates or the city have much pride in their university, relatively. I want to believe that is changing. You need that to be a fan in the mediocre seasons. Location not good, being on the wrong sides of the freeways. I know UH track people from the 1980’s who are passionate.

The pride that comes with a pleasing campus and good academia are factors as to why I love UCF potential and would even take USF and it’s growth potential over dying Rust Belt Cincinatti. But the Big 12 needs to keep the riches that come with P5 status so it is the best show horse today instead of what may be 5-10 years from now. Maybe it is best to have Big 12 presence in the huge TV and recruiting market of Houston, no matter the passion of the alumni.

I enjoy being a bandwagon fan of Houston, but now that may change when they move into the Big 12.

Last edited:

mc1502

Hey man. Can we just calm down... I'm trying to calm down. We are good. Personally, as a frog and houstonian, let's just not show how big each others balls are. I'm happy, we all should be happy. This is best case scenario

This.

Really big balls can be a sign of testicular cancer, and no one wants that

PDM92

touchy aren't we? so please let me know if anything i wrote was wrong.

oh, and for clarification you are wanting me to compare the attendance numbers for a school with roughly 25% of the enrollment of houston and less than half the alumni because i don't think you are going to like the results

That's what I figured. Your numbers aren't compelling. And if your fallback is that "we're a tiny school," what does that say about your value? Either you have absolute value or you don't. Surely you don't want to play in the small schools' league.

Sure, UH's attendance numbers are not good. Conceded. But they should be viewed through the lens of our position in CUSA and the AAC, when we're hosting Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, etc. The relevant issue is how do our numbers compare to you and, really, how do they compare to our competition--UCF, Cincy, Memphis, etc. And my point, which you haven't refuted, is that they compare favorably to TCU (prior to their Big12 days) and to current AAC peers. Again, you can bash UH all you want, but the objective evaluation has been set forth by GSR and Navigate (the data analytics firm used by the Pac12)--UH brings value and is considered a better candidate for the Pac12 than TCU (all things considered).

The reason that folks don't want UH in the Big12 has nothing to do with "what they bring to the conference." It has everything to do with, "Will they take our spot the next time conferences play musical chairs."

asleep003

Assuming that BYU and UCF are your 9 and 10, Cincy is a pretty obvious 11. After that pick between Memphis, Boise and UH for 12. They all have some pluses and minuses but there is a very large drop off after that group.
No Boise or Houston nor Memphis. USF or one of the Academies ... 2 of them have better attendance than UH and a nationwide following on road games... by local loyal veteran fan base anywhere in the country.

82 Frog Fever

Now that you have your chest puffed out, why don't you tell us TCU's average attendance the year before they joined the Big12 and the 5-year average attendance before they joined the Big12. I don't know those numbers, but I know that TCU put an excellent product on the field during that period. Just let us know the numbers. I'm sure they were much better than UH's numbers.

TCU 2011 avg attendance 33,686 / enrollment < 9,000
It does seem reasonable to expect a D1 university with a 45,000+ enrollment in a city of 2.3 million to average a little better.

Last edited:

Cougar/Frog

Happy to see my Cougs renewing the rivalry in the near future with my TCU. I was always a bit conflicted during those games, of course.

I always felt the BYU-TCU rivalry was stronger than the TCU-Utah rivalry. The hatred of BYU at TCU will really make the games more interesting. Should be really fun.

asleep003

Not sure why there’s so much speculation around this. The list is obvious and very short:

BYU, UCF, Houston, Cincy, Boise, USF. Roughly in that order.

If you’re bored and want to come up with more candidates for [ #2020 ]s and giggles, maybe Memphis and Colorado State. But SMU, UNLV, SDSU, Hawaii, New Mexico, Nevada, Tulane and the Academies? Nope nope nope.
No Boise/SMU/Nevada(has a high school Stadium)/Hawaii(stadium ... unknown.?.)

Eight

That's what I figured. Your numbers aren't compelling. And if your fallback is that "we're a tiny school," what does that say about your value? Either you have absolute value or you don't. Surely you don't want to play in the small schools' league.

Sure, UH's attendance numbers are not good. Conceded. But they should be viewed through the lens of our position in CUSA and the AAC, when we're hosting Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, etc. The relevant issue is how do our numbers compare to you and, really, how do they compare to our competition--UCF, Cincy, Memphis, etc. And my point, which you haven't refuted, is that they compare favorably to TCU (prior to their Big12 days) and to current AAC peers. Again, you can bash UH all you want, but the objective evaluation has been set forth by GSR and Navigate (the data analytics firm used by the Pac12)--UH brings value and is considered a better candidate for the Pac12 than TCU (all things considered).

The reason that folks don't want UH in the Big12 has nothing to do with "what they bring to the conference." It has everything to do with, "Will they take our spot the next time conferences play musical chairs."

no, no they don't, not shocking you really have absolutely no scheissing clue or awareness about the 5-year period of tcu football prior to joining the big 12. everyone on this board knows this answer but feel free to look it up because you will find the frogs did okay attendance wise during that time period.

in fact, it confirmed that i am better off talking football with steel than you and his answer to everything is the steelers

tell you what that, tell the money launderer to make sure uh turns down the big 12 invite to hold out for that pac invite and scheiss off

asleep003

Remember the attendnce of UH when they had a Heisman and the #1 RB in the country by YPC, while playing in the Astrodome.... When TCU came only 15,000 attended and 5,000 were TCU fans.

Horned Toad

PDM, we have some dipshits on the board so don’t worry about it. Welcome to the conference. Play well this year and don’t make us regret it. Do your part and will do ours and grow this league. Good luck.