• The KillerFrogs

Houston Chronicle: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

MagicFrog

Yeah, I'm betting a semi-retired journalist from Knoxville TN is NOT the one who's going to break this news.

Probably right. But some of these olds who are journalists seem to have lots of connections. Whether he's right or wrong I don't think we'll know for a while now after Bowlsby's decision to (for the first time in his Big 12 career) be the aggressor.

If fact his decision very well could be the worst thing to happen to the remaining schools. There is a post on orange power basically saying OSU and TT were about to button things up with the Pac12 and Bowlsby farked it up with his lawsuit threats.

It would be so flipping typical for Bowlsby's too-little-too-late interest in saving the league to screw things up for the remaining 8 but not harming OU or UT in the least. That's what happens when an idiot is in charge.

WIN

Probably right. But some of these olds who are journalists seem to have lots of connections. Whether he's right or wrong I don't think we'll know for a while now after Bowlsby's decision to (for the first time in his Big 12 career) be the aggressor.
If fact his decision very well could be the worst thing to happen to the remaining schools. There is a post on orange power basically saying OSU and TT were about to button things up with the Pac12 and Bowlsby farked it up with his lawsuit threats.

It would be so flipping typical for Bowlsby's too-little-too-late interest in saving the league to screw things up for the remaining 8 but not harming OU or UT in the least. That's what happens when an idiot is in charge.

Something tells me the remaining 8 are in charge and making the calls, bowlsby doing as told.

MagicFrog

Tough for those programs to reject that kind of a paycheck.

Exactly, and it's why the remaining 8 will probably still schedule UT even though no one wants to -- money.

And I feel bad for OSU because OU is their rivalry game they look to every year. If you were them would you want to schedule OU anymore? I wouldn't, but that's probably their biggest economical home game too.

I wonder if what point UT pisses enough people off that it starts to cause them problems. They have four former Big 12 schools who hated them enough to leave the conference over them, then you have the former SWC schools not named TCU that were screwed over by them, now you have 8 more Big 12 schools that hate them.

But money wins out -- Missouri and A&M voted to let them in the SEC so I guess their hatred isn't so bad. And we took their offer to come into the Big 12 so money won there too. And I bet any of the 8 leftovers would put them on future schedules. The moral of the story is that money does indeed enable you to be unethical and a snake and a terrible, untrustworthy business partner.

Wexahu

Exactly, and it's why the remaining 8 will probably still schedule UT even though no one wants to -- money.

And I feel bad for OSU because OU is their rivalry game they look to every year. If you were them would you want to schedule OU anymore? I wouldn't, but that's probably their biggest economical home game too.

I wonder if what point UT pisses enough people off that it starts to cause them problems. They have four former Big 12 schools who hated them enough to leave the conference over them, then you have the former SWC schools not named TCU that were screwed over by them, now you have 8 more Big 12 schools that hate them.

But money wins out -- Missouri and A&M voted to let them in the SEC so I guess their hatred isn't so bad. And we took their offer to come into the Big 12 so money won there too. And I bet any of the 8 leftovers would put them on future schedules. The moral of the story is that money does indeed enable you to be unethical and a snake and a terrible, untrustworthy business partner.

I don’t think any of the remaining 8 will be playing UT or OU for awhile beyond this year. Same for OU-OSU.

MagicFrog

Something tells me the remaining 8 are in charge and making the calls, bowlsby doing as told.

I think that was a Bowlsby move with his legal counsel. As soon as it leaked out the lawyers on both sides were scrubbing the Big 12 bylaws; and then when Kansas State leaked the AAC stuff Bowlsby had a tweet out within a couple of hours.

At least 3 of the remaining 8 had no idea about the AAC stuff because it was only 5 schools. And no one that potentially has other options would have leaked anything to Bowlsby because they don't want to be on the hook for exit fees.

MagicFrog

you want a laugh, google nashville banner. magic's big source is a retired journalist who is friends with a free lance journalist whose paper was shut down years ago. 97 people are following this "source"

odds either of these guys have a source even remotely close to the actual negotiations and discussions or they are just doing whatever they can do for clicks and links

They aren't my big source, I just posted a few of their tweets. You're starting to sound a little cranky; did you forget to take your Metamucil last night?

I'll get off your lawn now.

Frozen Frog

Agree with both statements. There’s no real way for the schools that aren’t included in the super conference to fight back other than just saying no thanks.

Won’t happen, but I’d love to see it.

It's not a bad move to for several schools to say we value athletics, but we also value our school and community first. A smaller local conference might not generate the television revenue of the larger conferences. It will give students and alumni the opportunity to watch their school beat other similar schools. There is a new arms in college athletics. The NIL has no governance. Recruiting wars are now bidding wars. Some schools will fight to keep pace, but the smart ones will likely say it isn't worth competing with limited resources. Some of these schools might want to

MAcFroggy

This is a MASSIVE money maker for OSU. They do not sell individual tickets to bedlam. You can only get that ticket with a season ticket purchase. Their season ticket sales obviously fluctuate wildly between years they host OU and years they do not host OU. If I am a OSU fans, I might be mad about OU leaving, but I think the athletic department will continue the series. It is too much of a big deal for them. Plus, this will guarantee OSU one massive non-con game a year.

None of the teams left in the Big 12 have the ability to be prideful right now. We are going to take a bath when TV contracts get renegotiated (if we make it that far). Bedlam means a lot of money for OSU, and they would be stupid to turn their noses at continuing the series.

If we have learned anything during the past week. $$$ rules college football, and this game means $$$ for OSU.

asleep003

This is a MASSIVE money maker for OSU. They do not sell individual tickets to bedlam. You can only get that ticket with a season ticket purchase. Their season ticket sales obviously fluctuate wildly between years they host OU and years they do not host OU. If I am a OSU fans, I might be mad about OU leaving, but I think the athletic department will continue the series. It is too much of a big deal for them. Plus, this will guarantee OSU one massive non-con game a year.

None of the teams left in the Big 12 have the ability to be prideful right now. We are going to take a bath when TV contracts get renegotiated (if we make it that far). Bedlam means a lot of money for OSU, and they would be stupid to turn their noses at continuing the series.

If we have learned anything during the past week. $$$ rules college football, and this game means $$$ for OSU.

OUT means huge $s for every one ... not just OU for OSU. So it's very important for B12(if stays together) to get teams like BYU(guaranteed 65,000 road game) .... the academies also bring in lots of veterans for their road games.

Wexahu

Why would OU continue to play OSU? Seems like a no-win situation for them.

Virginia Frog

Why would OU continue to play OSU? Seems like a no-win situation for them.
As a non-con game, will it be a September date - it's hot in Oklahoma in Sept. Will they require it to be a 6pm CT or later start.

Or maybe they can work it with the SEC to be a specific weekend in November. When it's @ OU it would be in the SEC TV inventory - a good matchup and a lot of potential eyeballs!

Last edited:

CountryFrog

For the 96th time - If the PAC wanted Tech then Tech would be going to the PAC. Same for OSU. The idea that the PAC really wanted those schools but then didn't extend an invite due to a cease and desist letter from the Big 12 to ESPN is total click bait horse crap.

helcap

Might be wrong, but I don’t think either of those teams were ever in the same conference. Why didn’t UT keep playing A&M? Wouldn’t they have made a lot of money on that game?
Florida refused to play FSU until the Legislature passed a bill mandating it. That's what I meant by scheduling made by politics. OU trying to minimize bad feelings caused by OSU being left behind