• The KillerFrogs

Hoover should start the rest of the year

FrogCop19

Is it possible that the Hoover Hype is a little premature at this point? Good grief, calm down.

No.
Go Away GIF

:p

FrogBall09

Not quite as big as the Morris hype post Baylor. Agree that we should wait to see the offense against an actual defense...Iowa St, Kstate, Texas in the Big 12.
Why? The alternative- once healthy- played against Ds just as bad for 6 games and never looked anything close to what we saw Saturday

So what exactly are you waiting on?

kaiser soze

I sure hope that is coach speak - otherwise he truly is an idiot for not playing Hoover before today
Staying the obvious here, but I think CSD is purposefully doing a few things here with this comment:
1) recognizing and respecting the work JH10 put in to get ready for this moment for his sake and to subtweet 99 other kids who should try and be more like Josh in this regard
2) Was also clearly a subtweet to C4 and perhaps others about not doing the legwork needed to be successful.

As to being an idiot and starting Chander over Josh, we really only saw 4.5 poor quarters from Chandler (which directly caused two Ls). I do think the absence of game speed practice against non-friendly defenses really masked C4s deficiencies. And may also have not let Josh shine where (decision making and read. processing) he comparatively excels. This will be my mailbag question ... how did ~60 practice sessions NOT reveal this performance/ability discrepancy sooner?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Staying the obvious here, but I think CSD is purposefully doing a few things here with this comment:
1) recognizing and respecting the work JH10 put in to get ready for this moment for his sake and to subtweet 99 other kids who should try and be more like Josh in this regard
2) Was also clearly a subtweet to C4 and perhaps others about not doing the legwork needed to be successful.

As to being an idiot and starting Chander over Josh, we really only saw 4.5 poor quarters from Chandler (which directly caused two Ls). I do think the absence of game speed practice against non-friendly defenses really masked C4s deficiencies. And may also have not let Josh shine where (decision making and read. processing) he comparatively excels. This will be my mailbag question ... how did ~60 practice sessions NOT reveal this performance/ability discrepancy sooner?
I am having a lot of trouble with this, too. What are they seeing that we're not? Why has this happened two years running?

Vlade Davis

Ticket Exchange Pass
I find it strange that some are saying Hoover is not mobile. I found him to be highly mobile, in the right kind of ways. No, he's not a running QB, but that's not what this offense does under KB.

Hoover was great moving around the pocket, getting to a new spot quick to get his eyes back down field. And when he broke loose, he kept his eyes down field until he hit the line of scrimmage. I think a lot of that pocket movement would've resulted in straight bails by Morris, which is why we call him "mobile."

Maybe the ultimate team game of football needs fixin’ if a team’s success is too dependent on QB play.

Maybe Kirk Ferentz at Iowa is wise and decided he didn’t want his success as dependent on the unpredictability of recruiting and developing a QB, so he reduces the importance of QB on his teams.

Throw in that most of the highest rated QB’s go to the blue blood programs where they feel they have a better chance of success with a stout OL to protect them.

H0RNEDFR0G

I am having a lot of trouble with this, too. What are they seeing that we're not? Why has this happened two years running?
My thought on this is that CM has been interviewing with his papa to be QB1 most of his life. He can say all the things that a Head Coach wants to hear about mentality and I'm sure he's way above average at understanding schemes.

Make no mistake, CM is an athlete too - he makes great plays with his feet. I think he has plenty of arm talent for most systems. But the offense that we run, you MUST have a deep threat. I don't know if he thinks throwing a 50/50 ball will lead to a pick or if he just doesn't have that club in his bag. At some point, it doesn't matter why he's not hitting it.

The offense doesn't work without a deep threat. WVU figured us out, bring up safties to help stop the run and leave WRs in single coverage and make the QB beat you. Zero points in 2nd half and 1 yard in the 3rd quarter tells you we couldn't adjust, the WRs had single coverage deep and we didn't hit them. (our oline also played horrible) ISU did more of the same.

BYU tried to run with WVU plan and got smoked. They stacked the box and Hoover made them pay.

Frog-in-law1995

Maybe the ultimate team game of football needs fixin’ if a team’s success is too dependent on QB play.

Maybe Kirk Ferentz at Iowa is wise and decided he didn’t want his success as dependent on the unpredictability of recruiting and developing a QB, so he reduces the importance of QB on his teams.

Throw in that most of the highest rated QB’s go to the blue blood programs where they feel they have a better chance of success with a stout OL to protect them.
Maybe they go to the blue blood programs because the Iowas reduce the importance of QBs?

FrogBall09

We saw 2 good quarters - sugarcoat it all you want but we were outplayed at the QB position more than the other way around - and every team we played this season has been beneath us from a talent and expectation’s perspective

As to how picking the starter resulted in CM - several of us have been saying since the spring there was never a real competition and that was signaled to recruits and other players…so if you aren’t looking, it’s hard to see it

Tshirt Fan

From the outside looking in, this entire episode screams of nepotism.
Yes, as a T-shirt fan, I turned off the Colorado game.
This TCU team was listless, with no clear will to win.
Then more of the same in the Iowa State game. Lethargic and little intensity. Turned off the tv, gladly.

But then look at what happened with BYU.
The defense came out charged. The offense came out charged.
It's like the entire team was not following a planted person.
And when the servant leader arrived to replace the "annointed one",
everyone jumped in, and gave their best.

Coach SD was already on my [ Finebaum ] list from hiring Briles which is a no-excuses bad decision.
Then we see what for all appearances seems to be a one-hand-washes-the-other for Chad's son.

TCU is better than that and deserves better than this.,

Good for Hoover for making the most of his opportunity.
Now he has everything against him this week, dealing with newfound success and a much better opponent than BYU. So if he doesn't hit quite the high notes again, cut him some slack because win or lose I'm damn certain he will display that certain frog factor.

Latest posts