• The KillerFrogs

Heartland Sports: Sonny Dykes Credits Gary Patterson For Why He Picked TCU Over Texas Tech

Wexahu

Does being 8-0 change anything?
On second thought, I think 7-0 or 8-0 does change some things. I'd much rather he be 8-0 right now and "sucked" at Cal than sitting here at 3-5 after some 2nd place finishes in the Pac 12 North in the early 2010's.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

Some of the "regressing" later in years was just a function of scheduling, which isn't all that uncommon. SMU has been a doormat program for most of the 30 years they've been back from the death penalty, I think some people weren't giving him enough credit for what he was doing there, regardless of the late season setbacks. He did far better than his two predecessors at La Tech. He did fine at Cal, especially considering what an awkward fit is must have been there. Who knows where he would be now if he had a held on for another year or two at La Tech and waited for a better opportunity than Cal-Berkeley. There is reason to question his judgment in taking that job for sure.

I mean, I still think he's got a lot to prove, (hell we could lose the last 4 games and everyone would have an entirely different POV), but so would just about anyone else we could have hired. And he was easily the most logical choice. I think the people saying he had a "low ceiling" because of what he did at Cal....that made zero sense.
Could lose the last four games and this SEASON will still have been outstanding IMO. Anybody who had this team more than 8-4 or 7-5 was wishful thinking. If the Frogs were sitting 6-2 right now and split to go 8-4….virtually everyone on this board would be very happy (and especially so if one of those 2 wins was in Austin)

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Could lose the last four games and this SEASON will still have been outstanding IMO. Anybody who had this team more than 8-4 or 7-5 was wishful thinking. If the Frogs were sitting 6-2 right now and split to go 8-4….virtually everyone on this board would be very happy (and especially so if one of those 2 wins was in Austin)
But all of that is out the door once you are 8-0 and in the CFP hunt. Yeah should we slip up it will still have been a great season, one I didn't expect.

Pharm Frog

But all of that is out the door once you are 8-0 and in the CFP hunt. Yeah should we slip up it will still have been a great season, one I didn't expect.
Exactly my point… I think the real test of Frogdom might be if the team goes 10-2, makes the conf championship game and then on to a nice bowl game where some of our best players may decide to sit out (maybe not…who knows?). Will there be more disappointment than exhilaration and anticipation about the future?

Personally I do not see this team winning out BUT I had less than zero thoughts about this team being 8-0 in November either. To me…exciting and enjoying the return to national relevance.

gofor2

Dykes did about as well as anyone does there, and they've had some decent coaches through the years.

When he was fired at Cal, his defense was far worse than the defense he inherited. Those are facts.
He can go 13-0 here or 0-13 in a given season, doesn't mean we can revise history.

Last edited: