• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

I bought my house in September and quickly realized there just weren’t any smoke detectors in it. I mean, what? Who lives without smoke detectors?

I bought 5 highly-rated one’s off of Amazon and installed them throughout the house, but I think I should probably spring for a couple more.

Exciting post, I know

Was that not noted in the inspection? You bought a new build, right? Or relatively new? How did that get past the permitting process?

Tom Brown

Man, sooner fans are just presuming the big 12 championship.
The game will be closer than many of them are ready for.

On okc news they actually compared bm's IG followers to tcu players. Goodness.
A storm is brewing.

Edit: this was in their "Countdown to the Championship" segment.

netty2424

Gutted the house we bought and with little ones, it's not even a question. We put one in every room and every hallway in the house. I bought the Nest combo smoke/carbon monoxide detectors. $99 each so it adds up in a hurry, but worth every penny imo. They tell you which room there's smoke, connect to wifi/phone, light up when you walk by them at night in the dark to provide a little night light, and glow certain colors depending on smoke or carbon monoxide detected while a sexy little lady voice tells you what's happening.

Hook em up Phormer. God forbid something happened, you'd never forgive yourself.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I took a hammer to a smoke detector one night in an old house of ours. Darner wouldn't stop chirping. So I destroyed it.

Fun fact: apparently they link the smoke alarms together in newer homes and when one goes offline they all let you know it. Even in the middle of the night. Which is awesome.

Tom Brown

I took a hammer to a smoke detector one night in an old house of ours. Darner wouldn't stop chirping. So I destroyed it.

Fun fact: apparently they link the smoke alarms together in newer homes and when one goes offline they all let you know it. Even in the middle of the night. Which is awesome.
My wife claims every time I leave town the smoke detectors go off
I check them pretty reglar, and as Peace said they are all linked.

bleedpurple

Ha. Have a carbon monoxide detector in my stairwell. Once it was running out of batteries when my son was about three and it started beeping. It just plugs into the socket which is knee high or a little lower. Well the beeping was to much for him and he just pulled it out of the wall which makes it go off. My wife and I️ found him on the stairs holding his ears paralyzed with fear.

Purp

They don't open it for the Cowboys. Doubt they'll open it for this. Might as well leave it closed and control the temps.

EDIT rarely open it for Cowboys. Might have been open tonight.
It's been open for 2 games in a row now. I suppose there is a chance it's open for tomorrow.

Purp

We had a smoke detector start chirping over Thanksgiving weekend. Got lucky and it was about an hour before we went to bed. I got up and pulled the battery out and it stopped chirping. Then I put a new battery in it and it started chirping again. So I put a different new battery in it and it continued to chirp. I left the 2nd new battery in figuring it should eventually go off, but that darner kept chirping so I tried calling the fire department for sage counsel. During my 3rd attempt at calling a fire house it stopped chirping.

All of that to teach me that the phone number to your local fire station isn't available online. I'm going to stop by there some time soon and ask them for their number just in case I ever think I need it again. I'm not calling 911 about a darnin' smoke alarm.

House was built in 1958... mid-century ranch

It was noted in the inspection and I either forgot or just didn’t care or missed it.

Ours is a ranch built in '58 as well. The investor who gutted it before us installed all the detectors. They were noted on the code inspection he included with the seller's disclosure. Maybe it's required of "new" construction.

I counted 3 within 9 steps of each other and a 4th 6 steps away. Oddly enough, not one in the dining room where the fireplace is.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
One thing I learned when I replaced all of my smoke detectors: When you remove the old one and take the battery out, the damn little things will chirp for a while until they die. Kind of like a small bird pleading for its life.

Don't have an engineering degree, so I can't explain why.

Phormer: My house is a 3 bedroom newer build (2001) open floor plan. I have a total of 5 smoke detectors and 2 carbon monoxide detectors. Smoke detectors inside each bedroom, then the other 2 (and the carbon monoxide detectors) are located at opposite ends of the "open" living/dining/kitchen areas. Technically, I probably ought to have a smoke detector in my formal study, but I keep the double doors open all the time, so I consider it part of the "open floor plan" coverage.

BTW, do you know your HVAC system has filters? And that they need to be changed regularly?