• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Frog-in-law1995

That time of year again. I don’t know who out there like me does the bulk of the cooking for their family Thanksgiving, but trust me, you need this recipe in your life. I started making the giblet gravy after my Aunt, who had made it every year for 50 years, died in 2017. Last year I decided to make it from homemade chicken stock using carcasses of chickens I had smoked for a barbecue competition, and it turned the gravy into something otherworldly. I can’t not share it. Keep in mind this recipe is for 30 people, so adjust accordingly for your numbers.

Smoked giblet gravy:

Take the innards and neck of 3 turkeys and put them in a pot. Cover with water and bring to boil. Reduce and simmer for 2 hours. Once cooked, dice liver and neck meat and set aside.

Hard boil 6 eggs, discard about half of the yolks and chop.

In large stock pot, melt 2 sticks of butter on medium heat. Slowly incorporate 1 cup of flour and stir until roux starts to turn golden brown (10-15 mins). If you haven’t made a roux before, you’ll probably freak out at how dry it gets and be tempted to add more butter. Don’t. Just stir and keep it moving as best you can.

Slowly stir in 2 quarts of homemade smoked chicken stock (recipe to follow). Then add 1 cup milk and 1 cup half & half. Stir until it starts to thicken (give it time, you will know when it happens). Salt/pepper/rubbed sage to taste. Continue to stir until it thickens to a gravy consistency. If you smoke or roast a turkey, add in a cup of the drippings. Stir well.

About 10 minutes before eating, stir in the giblets and egg.

2 quarts of chicken stock:
Ingredients:

2 rotisserie chicken carcasses
1/2 bunch of parsley
1 large carrot
1/2 large white onion
1/2 bunch of celery
1/2 bunch of green onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Smoke the carcasses of 2 deboned rotisserie chickens for about an hour at a low temp. You are just adding smoke.

Rough chop the veggies and place the them in a large stock pot with the chicken carcasses. Cover with water (should be about 3-3.5 quarts). Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to a very light simmer and cook partially covered for 4 hours. Occasionally skim the foam from the top. Remove the solids with a slotted spoon then strain the liquid through a very fine mesh sieve.

It will only keep about 4-5 days in the fridge, but you can freeze until needed (a clean 1/2 or 1 gallon milk jug works great). Take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge 2-3 days before you plan to make the gravy.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

tcudoc

That time of year again. I don’t know who out there like me does the bulk of the cooking for their family Thanksgiving, but trust me, you need this recipe in your life. I started making the giblet gravy after my Aunt, who had made it every year for 50 years, died in 2017. Last year I decided to make it from homemade chicken stock using carcasses of chickens I had smoked for a barbecue competition, and it turned the gravy into something otherworldly. I can’t not share it. Keep in mind this recipe is for 30 people, so adjust accordingly for your numbers.

Smoked giblet gravy:

Take the innards and neck of 3 turkeys and put them in a pot. Cover with water and bring to boil. Reduce and simmer for 2 hours. Once cooked, dice liver and neck meat and set aside.

In large stock pot, melt 2 sticks of butter on medium heat. Slowly incorporate 1 cup of flour and stir until roux starts to turn golden brown (10-15 mins). If you haven’t made a roux before, you’ll probably freak out at how dry it gets and be tempted to add more butter. Don’t. Just stir and keep it moving as best you can.

Slowly stir in 2 quarts of homemade smoked chicken stock (recipe to follow). Then add 1 cup milk and 1 cup half & half. Stir until it starts to thicken (give it time, you will know when it happens). Salt/pepper/rubbed sage to taste. Continue to stir until it thickens to a gravy consistency. If you smoke or roast a turkey, add in a cup of the drippings. Stir well.

About 10 minutes before eating, stir in the giblets and egg.

2 quarts of chicken stock:
Ingredients:

2 rotisserie chicken carcasses
1/2 bunch of parsley
1 large carrot
1/2 large white onion
1/2 bunch of celery
1/2 bunch of green onions
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Smoke the carcasses of 2 deboned rotisserie chickens at 250-300° for about an hour.

Rough chop the veggies and place the them in a large stock pot with the chicken carcasses. Cover with water (should be about 3-3.5 quarts). Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to a very light simmer and cook partially covered for 4 hours. Occasionally skim the foam from the top. Remove the solids with a slotted spoon then strain the liquid through a very fine mesh sieve.

It will only keep about 4-5 days in the fridge, but you can freeze until needed (a clean 1/2 or 1 gallon milk jug works great). Take it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge 2-3 days before you plan to make the gravy.

Enjoy.

Is that Julia Childs over there?!?! I can't tell...

My51.gif

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
That time of year again. I don’t know who out there like me does the bulk of the cooking for their family Thanksgiving, but trust me, you need this recipe in your life. I started making the giblet gravy after my Aunt, who had made it every year for 50 years, died in 2017.

innards? Stopped reading right there. I don't even like touching raw hamburger!

I'm sure your gravy is delicious, FiL. But I'll just have to take your word for it. :)

Frog-in-law1995

innards? Stopped reading right there. I don't even like touching raw hamburger!

I'm sure your gravy is delicious, FiL. But I'll just have to take your word for it. :)

Yeah, I’m not allowed to make it unless the wife is away. And all the trash has to be in the bin in the garage before she gets home.

We’re not even going to discuss the deer meat in the garage freezer.