• The KillerFrogs

Happy Juneteenth!

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Today’s a beautiful celebration of Lincoln’s promise of “a new birth of freedom” and marks the beginning of a more authentic interpretation of our Constitution.

I always thought it was just a Texas thing, but pretty cool that it has nearly become a national acknowledgment. Probably should be a national holiday given its significance to the embodiment of American Freedom.

God Bless America!

Of course, the word "emancipation" didn't and doesn't mean freedom, it just changed the ownership status of the slaves...

...and the proclamation was much more about war declaration, not freedom...

But yes, very happy to still celebrate an important and momentous day in our nation's history.

Mean Purple

Today’s a beautiful celebration of Lincoln’s promise of “a new birth of freedom” and marks the beginning of a more authentic interpretation of our Constitution.

I always thought it was just a Texas thing, but pretty cool that it has nearly become a national acknowledgment. Probably should be a national holiday given its significance to the embodiment of American Freedom.

God Bless America!

I've seen it celebrated in other states as well. Don't know about "national" reach of it. We've just always had the anniversary in the areas we lived. Was a bit surprised to hear recently that some places up north don't have it.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I've seen it celebrated in other states as well. Don't know about "national" reach of it. We've just always had the anniversary in the areas we lived. Was a bit surprised to hear recently that some places up north don't have it.

I remember when it was just a Texas thing, but it was all over the news here in Hoosierville.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
one might say juneteenth is the black version of cinco de mayo
One might better say it was the first time this country could honestly claim to “secure the blessings of liberty.” If one of us is not free, none of us are. Juneteenth is about all of us and should be a day celebrating when our country came to its senses.

tcudoc

no shock

quick question. which of these four dates are the most important to black americans?

january 1st

june 19th

september 22nd

december 6th
920x920.jpg