• The KillerFrogs

Gundy Can’t Be Happy With This

PO Frog

O
The reality is that OSU does far better in actual rankings than recruiting service rankings. Those are the only rankings that matter in football reality.
Of course they have overachieved compared to recruiting rankings. That means he’s a good coach, just like GP. But it’s not a coincidence that the last 10 national champions consistently have top 5 recruiting classes in the years prior to winning.

netty2424

1) What the booster said has been blown out of proportion, it wasn't even really that bad. Gundy is a really good coach, but if he wants to keep playing the "I want a raise or I might go elsewhere" game, they want more than a 9 win regular season, losing to OU, and winning a second-tier bowl game every year.

2) Not sure how anyone can say recruiting rankings "don't mean jack". Yes it's useless without good coaching (oh, hi Texas and A&M), and there are some outliers (TCU among them), but if you track recruiting rankings to overall performance there is a pretty good correlation.
Booster or AD?

BABYFACE

1) What the booster said has been blown out of proportion, it wasn't even really that bad. Gundy is a really good coach, but if he wants to keep playing the "I want a raise or I might go elsewhere" game, they want more than a 9 win regular season, losing to OU, and winning a second-tier bowl game every year.

2) Not sure how anyone can say recruiting rankings "don't mean jack". Yes it's useless without good coaching (oh, hi Texas and A&M), and there are some outliers (TCU among them), but if you track recruiting rankings to overall performance there is a pretty good correlation.

I never said recruiting rankings don’t mean jack. What I said is some people put too much stock into it.

First off, I subscribed to Rivals before JC even got there. I have followed JC ever since. He is great writer and is plugged into the recruiting coverage game. Clark is awesome.

What gets lost here by some is the recruiting rankings are done by subscription based services. Sometimes it is going to line up with college coaches evaluations, and sometimes not. For example: Take the top 50 2019 recruits in Texas, those players are more easily identifiable as top talent. Where it gets tricky is the next 150 2019 Texas HS recruits. Figuring out which are solid average type players versus those that a bit better and look to have a higher ceiling. I am going to trust GP and his staff in this area over any subscription service.

I am just saying that a school’s coaching staff is not looking to a fan subscription based recruiting service to determine what players to after and plan their recruiting class around.

BABYFACE

O

Of course they have overachieved compared to recruiting rankings. That means he’s a good coach, just like GP. But it’s not a coincidence that the last 10 national champions consistently have top 5 recruiting classes in the years prior to winning.
The top players(blue chips) in the country are more easily identified, so yeah, that will line up with fan based recruiting rankings. The art is for coaches determining which players will turn out to be very good college players instead of average that didn’t start out as superstars.

PO Frog

The top players(blue chips) in the country are more easily identified, so yeah, that will line up with fan based recruiting rankings. The art is for coaches determining which players will turn out to be very good college players instead of average that didn’t start out as superstars.

There is direct correlation between having the best recruiting classes to winning national championships. Nobody is saying you can’t be very good with less than top recruiting classes and overachieve, a la TCU or Ok state. But not one of those types of teams has won a championship in the modern era.

And please don’t point to texas as an underachiever as proof that recruiting rankings are meaningless. High ranked recruiting classes are necessary but not sufficient to win national championships in the BCS/playoff era so far. Texas underachieved but their roster is full of guys that GP would have loved to have and probably offered 90% of them.

Zubaz

Nobody is saying you can’t be very good with less than top recruiting classes and overachieve, a la TCU or Ok state. But not one of those types of teams has won a championship in the modern era.
To be fair, there's a massive asterisk for both OK State and TCU here, both of whom had at least one team capable of competing for a national title but were not afforded the opportunity to do so.

PO Frog

To be fair, there's a massive asterisk for both OK State and TCU here, both of whom had at least one team capable of competing for a national title but were not afforded the opportunity to do so.
Obviously a debatable point but the facts are what they are.

ThisIsOurTime

Delusions of grandeur by the AD. If Gundy goes, OkState will decline. OkState is not a draw for recruits and that isn't going to change any time soon. The only way OkState starts to climb the recruiting rankings is if they start paying recruits and that is assuming they aren't already doing that now.

This reminds me of that nonsense that happened at Texas Tech with Leach. I wouldn't be surprised if they go down that same road and years later fans are still asking themselves why did we run off our successful coach.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
ELdo_x.gif

Boonescabanaboy

Fake news. (mostly)

An eye rolling emoji is not exactly a scathing response.

I've never been a "stars don't matter" guy, but O State and UT are both examples that they aren't the sole determining factor in success, for exactly opposite reasons.

Recruiting to Stillwater OK, to a school with a limited football history is hard. You don't pay someone $5,000,000 / year to do an easy job.

Casey T

I'm surprised at these comments after that recent article that showed Ok State having the lowest or one of the lowest recruiting budgets in the B12. If that article was true, the AD needs to give Gundy more $$ before he complains