• The KillerFrogs

Gundy Can’t Be Happy With This

Dogfrog

Mike Holder as T-Bone’s sock puppet? My first guess is Pickett is pissed about recruiting, and whining about it to Holder. To Gundy’s credit he’s probably saying KMA.

BABYFACE

What is laughable is the recruiting rankings don’t mean jack. They are subscription services that do these rankings. If these were college coaches evaluations that were basis for these rankings, I would feel differently.

Identifying the blue chips is easy. Separating the good from the average players and their ceiling is the difficult part.

PO Frog

What is laughable is the recruiting rankings don’t mean jack. They are subscription services that do these rankings. If these were college coaches evaluations that were basis for these rankings, I would feel differently.

Identifying the blue chips is easy. Separating the good from the average players and their ceiling is the difficult part.
Your opinion is not matched by reality.

netty2424

Seems like Gundy has a real love hate, with emphasis on hate relationship with the brass at OkSt. And he's pretty much annually asking for more money. I'd imagine the AD is just busting balls in return.

And the reality is, the AD is actually right.

Very strange comments by the AD about approaches to recruiting and settling when they don't have to. I'm not sure what he is getting at but could read several things into that I guess. I don't follow OSU recruiting really but I would have to assume that Gundy is at least attempting to recruit most of the highly ranked recruits everyone else is pursuing.

Pharm Frog

Forget Gundy...wondering what the players and recruits think about the ADs comments that they aren’t good enough and have a lower ceiling? Actually I don’t have to wonder. I know how some of them have reacted.

froginaustin

I came across an article in a New Yorker magazine about the teachers' strike in Oklahoma. What a dismal failure from the strikers' point of view.

Apparently the Oklahoma Lege has starved their public schools, reducing funding over the last several decades as costs (of course) climbed. Okie public schools have reached the point where several districts only operate 4 days a week, to reduce utility expense. Several teachers were interviewed, and the teachers pointed out that Oklahoma teachers' salaries are seriously lower than Texas, and even Arkansas, teachers'. One interviewee was a former administrator in a middle school. He and his teacher wife relocated to Duncanville, and their combined salaries are about $40,000 more. Both are teachers in Duncanville; neither is earning an administrator's salary.

The point is-- when will financial pressure make a difference at OkSU? I know that defunding the athletic department there is not like defunding the English department. It likely isn't at any B12 school.

But t-bone can't (or probably wouldn't even if he could) completely float OkSU. It's hard to imagine OkSU covering its nut with tuition receipts as many if not most all private schools do.

So--- what happens to Gundy's program and the rest of OkSU's athletic department if the school itself hits really, really hard times?

Mean Purple

So much this^^^^^
Gundy is a good coach and his guys develop talent very well. Much like our Coaches at TCU. You can recruit a 4 star, get them on campus and then find out they could not play dead in a Western.

Gundy is like GP. They have their players backs. Players respond to that. No matter how many stars a recruit has, it takes a while to get them to the point where they totally trust the system and do what the coaches tell them to do.

Zubaz

1) What the booster said has been blown out of proportion, it wasn't even really that bad. Gundy is a really good coach, but if he wants to keep playing the "I want a raise or I might go elsewhere" game, they want more than a 9 win regular season, losing to OU, and winning a second-tier bowl game every year.

2) Not sure how anyone can say recruiting rankings "don't mean jack". Yes it's useless without good coaching (oh, hi Texas and A&M), and there are some outliers (TCU among them), but if you track recruiting rankings to overall performance there is a pretty good correlation.

jake102

It's really a mix of the two. At the top of the board, recruiting rankings matter a ton. There's a reason Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and now Georgia are going to be perpetually reloading year after year. But after you get past those guys, who all have elite coaches, the recruiting rankings don't mean a whole lot. I'm not going to panic if Auburn or Michigan pulls in a top 5 recruiting class and pencil them into the playoff.