• The KillerFrogs

Grambling NOT hiring Art Briles as OC

Virginia Frog

Whoa, whoa, hold up there...you played for Herman Boone? Before, after, or during the 1971 season???
'72 and '73.

'71 season as Sophomore/JV level I was at another school in the city. The movie was highly inaccurate. (I know where all the bodies are buried though.)

I attended his memorial service in December 2019. Here's a photo of the program:

Attachments

• Boone Funeral.jpg
    Boone Funeral.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

FrogCop19

'72 and '73.

'71 season as Sophomore/JV level I was at another school in the city. The movie was highly inaccurate. (I know where all the bodies are buried though.)

I attended his memorial service in December 2019. Here's a photo of the program:
That's pretty amazing! I knew the movie was highly inaccurate (I watched the movie with the coach's commentary on, it was HIGHLY enlightening!), but it's still one of my favorites. That's still awesome, though! Man, I'd pay money to sit and talk about that time period. I heard he was fired a few years later for allegedly abusing players??

Virginia Frog

That's pretty amazing! I knew the movie was highly inaccurate (I watched the movie with the coach's commentary on, it was HIGHLY enlightening!), but it's still one of my favorites. That's still awesome, though! Man, I'd pay money to sit and talk about that time period. I heard he was fired a few years later for allegedly abusing players??
I'd be happy to talk with you. Or chat on-line.

While I was NOT involved in the TCW championship season so I can't speak to that team's actual experience, I have great peripheral knowledge and knew a lot of the fellas and all the coaches (save Bill Yoast who I only knew from afar) from the '71 season. I can speak to the people/personalities, the management of the team and give a local's view of the whole "Remember The Titans" enterprise (the City schools reorganization of '71-72.)

My brother was a involved part of that senior class (50th Reunion is Sep 17, Wowsa time flies folks.) and I played with the '71 juniors on the '72 squad. I was at TCW in '70-71 for frosh fb before the school reorganization so I knew many of the upperclassmen on Varsity who were seniors in '71. I'm still in touch with many of them - sadly in the last 5 years several have passed on including some good buds.

One guy that I've gotten to know quite well (the '71season players hate him - because he's stolen some of their public glory, not because he's a liar, they've labeled him as a "nut"/he's not) had a campaign to tell the "truth" about Mr. Boone - who he believed, and fairly IMO, that he profited by his portrayal in the film (which in his opinion created a false hero.) The success of RTT was a financial "boon" (no pun intended) to both Herman and Bill. Personal appearance fees and professional speaker fees yielded millions of dollars (at $8-$15 grand + expenses -agent commissions each) and HB was particularly enriched due to Black History Month college speeches each Feb where premium fees were the norm. (Knowing him, he did a VERY GOOD job and entertained his audiences with delight - so he did earn his pay.)

Here's a article about his quest:

Coach Boone was always what I would describe as a brilliant football mind and passionately aimed us to get Ws, that's the best thing I could say and I will always respect him for that. He was one of the funniest people I've ever known - when the "good" Boone was present. (The first time my father met him one-on-one my father said to me that night: "That man belongs on a stage, he's missed his calling." Boone was equally enchanted because uncharacteristically he took me aside at PE class the next morning and said excitedly: "I talked to your father" with no further explanation - but I took it as he was impressed as well - they could have been buds, haha.)

His "Hyde", the "bad" Boone was a devil. This is what led to his dismissal and it really was a "firing" where the team actually quit on him mid-season. (The coaching staff had quit on him the season before and relented due to school administrator coaxing.) I'm a bit forgiving because I believe that likely he had a bit of a mental disorder and with some medicine he could have evened out the "good" (which was bordering on great) and the "bad" (which was his Waterloo.) He only once, in the '72 season, took aim on me (it was the week after our big L which deprived us of a playoff berth, score 8-7, a team that was equally talented as the '71 group (D only gave up 56 points in 10 games, O averaged 36 points) and likely would have been very successful there.) Without details he told me that I didn't need to come to practice anymore, that I was off the team because of some off-field infraction (untrue.) My mother called him, read him the riot act and he relented, (the "good" Boone returned) apologized profusely, and was all sweetness and light. My mother was a very nice woman - but took no prisoners when it came to unfairness, right and wrong. I hated him from that point on for talking to my mother in such an ugly way but now in adulthood I see that he had a serious personal problem.

As you can see, it's a long story and I have a lot to say. Thanks for being interested. - VF

Last edited:

FrogCop19

I'd be happy to talk with you. Or chat on-line.

While I was NOT involved in the TCW championship season so I can't speak to that team's actual experience, I have great peripheral knowledge and knew a lot of the fellas and all the coaches (save Bill Yoast who I only knew from afar) from the '71 season. I can speak to the people/personalities, the management of the team and give a local's view of the whole "Remember The Titans" enterprise (the City schools reorganization of '71-72.)

My brother was a involved part of that senior class (50th Reunion is Sep 17, Wowsa time flies folks.) and I played with the '71 juniors on the '72 squad. I was at TCW in '70-71 for frosh fb before the school reorganization so I knew many of the upperclassmen on Varsity who were seniors in '71. I'm still in touch with many of them - sadly in the last 5 years several have passed on including some good buds.

One guy that I've gotten to know quite well (the '71season players hate him - because he's stolen some of their public glory, not because he's a liar, they've labeled him as a "nut"/he's not) had a campaign to tell the "truth" about Mr. Boone - who he believed, and fairly IMO, that he profited by his portrayal in the film (which in his opinion created a false hero.) The success of RTT was a financial "boon" (no pun intended) to both Herman and Bill. Personal appearance fees and professional speaker fees yielded millions of dollars (at $8-$15 grand + expenses -agent commissions each) and HB was particularly enriched due to Black History Month college speeches each Feb where premium fees were the norm. (Knowing him, he did a VERY GOOD job and entertained his audiences with delight - so he did earn his pay.)

Here's a article about his quest:

Coach Boone was always what I would describe as a brilliant football mind and passionately aimed us to get Ws, that's the best thing I could say and I will always respect him for that. He was one of the funniest people I've ever known - when the "good" Boone was present. (The first time my father met him one-on-one my father said to me that night: "That man belongs on a stage, he's missed his calling." Boone was equally enchanted because uncharacteristically he took me aside at PE class the next morning and said excitedly: "I talked to your father" with no further explanation - but I took it as he was impressed as well - they could have been buds, haha.)

His "Hyde", the "bad" Boone was a devil. This is what led to his dismissal and it really was a "firing" where the team actually quit on him mid-season. (The coaching staff had quit on him the season before and relented due to school administrator coaxing.) I'm a bit forgiving because I believe that likely he had a bit of a mental disorder and with some medicine he could have evened out the "good" (which was bordering on great) and the "bad" (which was his Waterloo.) He only once, in the '72 season, took aim on me (it was the week after our big L which deprived us of a playoff berth, score 8-7, a team that was equally talented as the '71 group (D only gave up 56 points in 10 games) and likely would have been very successful there.) Without details he told me that I didn't need to come to practice anymore, that I was off the team because of some off-field infraction (untrue.) My mother called him, read him the riot act and he relented, (the "good" Boone returned) apologized profusely, and was all sweetness and light. My mother was a very nice woman - but took no prisoners when it came to unfairness, right and wrong. I hated him from that point on for talking to my mother in such an ugly way but now in adulthood I see that he had a serious personal problem.

As you can see, it's a long story and I have a lot to say. Thanks for being interested. - VF
That was an incredible read, sir! Thanks for the insight and history, VF. My mom's whole family is from the Alexandria area. She went Edison HS back in '64, so she told me a lot about what it was like during that time.

Virginia Frog

That was an incredible read, sir! Thanks for the insight and history, VF. My mom's whole family is from the Alexandria area. She went Edison HS back in '64, so she told me a lot about what it was like during that time.
FYI, Edison fell victim to the "new" post-'71 TCW Titans in Sep '72. I had something to do with that. I had lots of friends at Edison in the '70s. I just drove past it the first time in a long time last week. Go Edison Eagles.

One more TCW '71 article for you. This is last October - 50 years from the '71 season - in the Northern Va Magazine. It's probably the best "correct" article about RTT to date. Let the truth be out. I know all the guys interviewed:

Just for info purposes and for your Mom. Coach Boone lived in the Edison HS area in a nicer community called Winslow Hills (Fairfax County, Alexandria address, not "City of Alexandria" where TC is located) north of Franconia Rd (Edison) and just south of I-495 (DC Beltway) from 1969 onward when he relocated from NC. His three daughters are "Eagles" - the middle one deceased and the youngest Monica is now the Superintendent of Schools of Plymouth-Canton schools in Michigan. I spoke with her at the Memorial Service since my mother taught her in 5yrK and 1st Grade. (In the late '70s years after my Mom's conflict with Mr Boone which I described earlier. I don't know if Boone ever realized she was the same person or just chose not dredge it up and kept it on the positive. It was after he was "reassigned.")

Post funeral article on Monica:

She says that Coach Boone was "stern." That's comical, far worse than "stern." IMO, that portrayal of him is the understatement of the last half of the 20th Century. I really had little interaction with him on the grid since I was on D and he spent most his time with the QBs and O. I believe that he liked me so I was on his good side 98% of the time, but I wasn't blind and did witness his many bad deeds - none of the other coaches had similar dispositions.

P.S. Come visit Alexandria. While Old Town is quaint/restored (I went to the GW B-day parade this week down there), everything has become much more upscale...your Mom would be impressed!

Glad to make your acquaintance.

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

Not a done deal at Grambling, plus other links:
Check out this article from Shreveport Times:

How Art Briles' hiring at Grambling State could be nixed by a majority vote

ATC Frog

“Resigned”

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Eight

hugh jackson must be a complete dumbarse and not simply for hiring briles

the foundation fiasco could get really interesting as i hope if she has proof he was paid to throw games she also has proof the foundation actually did something other than pay her 100+ a year

Last edited: