• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU Men's Basketball Adds Six

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/sp.../042310aaa.html

[SIZE=14pt]TCU Men's Basketball Adds Six; Signs Four to National Letters of Intent[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Frogs announced the signings of Andre Clark, Sammy Yeager, J.R. Cadot and Jarvis Ray on Friday.[/SIZE]

FORT WORTH, Texas - TCU head men's basketball coach Jim Christian announced on Friday that Andre Clark, Sammy Yeager, J.R. Cadot and Jarvis Ray have all signed a National Letter of Intent and will join Hank Thorns and Amric Fields as the newest members of the Horned Frog program.

"I'm really excited about this signing class," said Christian. "This is a very athletic and talented group of young men that have a great amount of upside. Not only are they tremendous athletes, but they are even better young men. These young men are a great addition to our program. This signing class gives us the talent and depth to compete in the very difficult Mountain West Conference."

Andre Clark (6-9 | 225 | Little Rock, Arkansas | John A Logan Community College)
Clark concluded his sophomore campaign at John A. Logan Community College averaging 7.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocked shots per game. Ranked as the fifth-best overall prospect and third-best forward according to JucoJunction.com, Clark finished ninth among all Region XXIV players in rebounds per game and was ranked in the top-10 in field goal percentage (59.0 | 78-of-133).

The 6-9 forward guided John A. Logan Community College to a 24-7 overall record, including a 14-2 record in Great Lakes Athletic Conference action. This past season, John A. Logan Community College claimed the regular-season conference championship.

Clark spent his freshman season at the University of Arkansas where he appeared in 24 games. Coming out of high school, the 6-9 forward was one of the top recruits in the State of Arkansas where he averaged 17.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 blocked shots per game at North Little Rock High School.

During his senior season, Clark was selected as an All-Arkansas Class 7A award winner and was selected to participate in the Metro Game (Central Arkansas All-Star Game). In that contest, Clark was selected as the Most Valuable Player after scoring 27 points to go along with 15 rebounds. The newly-inked Frog also earned All-Arkansas Class 5A accolades during his junior campaign after averaging 20.0 points and 10.0 rebounds per game.

Clark has ties with the Frogs' program as he was a former teammate of sophomore Ronnie Moss at Genesis One Prep School in Mendenhall, Miss. During his high school career, Clark was also a member of the Arkansas Hawks - one of the top AAU programs in Arkansas - where he averaged 25.0 points and 8.0 rebounds per game. "I was really impressed with the family-oriented environment around the program. The players and coaches have a really special relationship, and that is something that I wanted to be a part of. I think that I can do a little bit of everything and bring athleticism, maturity and high-energy to the court so I'm excited about the opportunity," said Clark.

"Andre brings a lot to the table for a 6-9 post player because he can play both inside and outside. He is a very good rebounder and shows flashes of incredible athleticism. He is a very mature person, and he worked very hard to put himself in a position to go to a great school, and I think he found that in TCU," said John A. Logan Community College head men's basketball coach Mark Imhoff.

"Andre is an explosive athlete that can run the floor and change the game on both ends. He brings high level Division I experience and will be a great addition for us in the frontcourt," said Christian.

Sammy Yeager (6-4 | 190 | Modesto, California | Weatherford College)
Yeager joins the Frogs from down the road at Weatherford College where he was ranked as the 22nd-best prospect in the country and six-best guard according to JucoJunction.com. The newly-signed Frog averaged a team-high 19.5 points and 6.7 rebounds to go along with 1.7 assists, 1.1 steals and 0.2 blocked shots per game during his sophomore campaign.

This past season, Yeager earned first team All-North Texas Junior College Athletic Conference honors after finishing the season ranked third in the conference in scoring average. In addition, the 6-4 guard connected on 55.5 percent (76-of-137) of his field goal attempts, including 47.4 percent (27-of-57) of his three-point field goal attempts. Yeager posted a career-high 34 points, including six three-pointers, against Collin County Community College during his sophomore season.

A native of Modesto, Calif., Yeager averaged 29.0 points per game during his senior campaign en route to earning Player of the Year accolades as well as all-district laurels by the Modesto Bee. A two-time all-district award winner, Yeager was ranked as one of the top-100 guards coming out of high school by ESPN.com during his senior season. During his junior campaign, Yeager averaged 20.0 points, 5.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 3.0 steals per game en route to leading his prep team to a 28-3 overall record and 14-1 conference mark.

"I'm really excited and can't wait to get to campus and start working with the coaches. Coach Christian and Coach Wuczynski told me that I have an opportunity to make an impact on the program and help build the story. I believe that I'm a good scorer and defender as well as a leader on and off the court. I'm really want to bring excitement to the fans and help the team anyway I can," said Yeager.

"Sammy is a very talented, scoring, combo-guard that can make three's, hit the mid-range jumper as well as finish at the rim. He's a complete player that can do a lot of things on the court, and most importantly, he is a very competitive and confident player. He's been a great leader since he's come here, and he's on-pace to graduate from here, and is really a great young man," said Weatherford College head men's basketball coach Dave Donnelly.

"Sammy is a very skilled, athletic, multi-faceted guard that has the ability to stretch defenses and finish in the paint against bigger defenders," said Christian.

J.R. Cadot (6-5 | 195 | Nassau, Bahamas | Sheridan College)
Cadot concluded the 2009-10 campaign with NJCAA Third Team All-American accolades after averaging 17.0 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game. The 6-5 guard was ranked as the 64th-best prospect according to JucoJunction.com and 27th-best guard in the country this past season.

A first team All-Region IX award winner, Cadot finished the season ranked ninth in rebounds per game and 12th in scoring average. In addition, the newly-inked Frog connected on 60.0 percent (185-of-307) of his field goal attempts to go along with 72.0 percent (123-of-172) of his free throw tries. Cadot guided the top-ranked Generals' offensive, which averaged 90.5 points per game, to a 27-7 overall record and the North Sub Regional Championship.

Cadot posted one of the best games of his career in the North Sub Regional Championship Game against Northwest College. Cadot's father passed away a few hours prior to the Feb. 23 game, and the 6-5 guard played that night where he finished with 32 points, including the shot that gave Sheridan College the North Sub Regional Championship.

This past season, Cadot posted eight games of 20 or more points, including 25 points against College of Southern Idaho and 24 points against Miles Community College. In addition, the 6-5 guard also scored 23 points against Central Wyoming Community College and 21 points versus Eastern Wyoming College. During his freshman campaign with the Generals, Cadot played in 23 games where he averaged 15.0 points and 6.6 rebounds per game, which ranked second on the team in both categories.

A native of Nassau, Bahamas, Cadot played basketball at C.V. Bethel Senior High School where he guided his prep program to a high school championship during his junior campaign. In that game, Cadot was named the MVP after collecting 36 points, 12 rebounds and three steals. In addition, the 6-5 guard was selected as a member of the junior and senior national teams for the Bahamas.

"I really believe that the basketball program is heading in the right direction under Coach Christian, and I wanted to be a part of it. TCU really has everything that I was looking for in terms of academics and success as a whole in the athletics department. I believe that I can bring leadership to the team and great intensity, and I think that I am versatile enough of a player to play multiple positions. I've developed a great relationship with Coach Christian, the entire coaching staff as well as the players over the last few months so I'm really excited about this opportunity," said Cadot.

"J.R. came to our program as a super-talented and athletic player and has been able to refine his skills and become more of a complete player. He's really good at finishing around the basket, has a good mid-range jump shot and has really grown as a defensive player," said Sheridan head men's basketball coach Steve Smiley.

"J.R. is extremely athletic and skilled wing, who is both a solid defender as well as a slasher to the basket. He has a tremendous attitude, and I really believe that his best days of basketball are in front of him," said Christian.

Jarvis Ray (6-6 | 180 | New Orleans, Louisiana | O. Perry Walker High School)
Ray comes to the Frogs from O. Perry Walker High School where he led the City of New Orleans in scoring average - 21.6 points per game - during his senior campaign. The 6-6 guard capped off his final prep season with second team All-Louisiana Class 4A accolades in addition to a first team selection to the Times-Picayune All-Metro squad.

The newly-inked Frog played AAU ball with Fleur de Leis All-Star that finished third overall in the Louisiana State Tournament. In addition, Ray also guided his prep team to a 5-1 record in the Super Elite Summer League where he finished with a team-high 10.0 points per game.

"I really felt comfortable on my visit, hanging out with the players and talking with the coaching staff. I felt that TCU was a place that was going to take care of me, and I'm excited about that opportunity. I really consider myself a team player, and I like to get everyone involved on the floor. I'm excited to work with Coach Christian, and he told me that I need to get stronger, but that he really liked my all-around game," said Ray.

"TCU really did an excellent job in recruiting Jarvis. I'm not only excited for Jarvis, but I'm excited for TCU because they are getting one of the top-five players in Louisiana. In addition to being a very athletic player, Jarvis is very skilled, versatile and can play multiple positions," said O. Perry Walker High School basketball coach Brian Gibson.

"Jarvis is a long, athletic wing and has a lot of upside and potential. He is another multi-faceted guard who can dribble, pass and shoot. He is very explosive and possesses very good range," said Christian.

The quartet of National Letter of Intent signees will be joined by Virginia Tech transfer Hank Thorns, who sat out the 2009-10 campaign due to NCAA Transfer Rules, and freshman Amric Fields, who signed a National Letter of Intent in November.

Hank Thorns (5-10 | 170 | Las Vegas, Nevada | Virginia Tech)
A two-year lettermen for the Hokies, Thorns dished out a Virginia Tech freshman record 113 assists during the 2007-08 campaign, which was a mark previously held by Bimbo Coles. During his rookie season, the 5-9 points guard ranked sixth in the ACC in assist-to-turnover ratio and 10th in assists per game and guided the Hokies to the semifinals of the 2009 National Invitation Tournament.

Amric Fields (6-9 | 220 | Putnam City, Oklahoma | Putnam West High School)
Fields was ranked as one of the top players in the State of Oklahoma as the 6-9 forward was selected to the Oklahoman's Super Five. After leading Putnam West High School to the state tournament for the first time since 1977, Fields led the Patriots after averaging 19.3 points and 9.2 rebounds per game en route to securing first team All-Oklahoma Class 6A accolades.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Well he got the class he needed to turn this around now lets hope they can actually do it on the court. Congrats to CJC!

Still hearing they may add one more.

SnoSki

Good luck guys!!!! I'll be pulling for you!

Very, very excited about this draft class. Very solid and what CJC's been looking for.

SnoSki

Good luck guys!!!! I'll be pulling for you!

Very, very excited about this draft class. Very solid and what CJC's been looking for.

ReedFrawg

Reads like we got a few talented guys...hoping we can get off to a fast start and turn things around.

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 23 2010, 05:49 PM) [snapback]549332[/snapback]
Well he got the class he needed to turn this around now lets hope they can actually do it on the court. Congrats to CJC!

Still hearing they may add one more.

Genbukan

I realize the game of basketball has changed through the years but --- Clark must really play well off the ball if he is

Ranked as the fifth-best overall prospect and third-best forward according to JucoJunction.com

while

averaging 7.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.5 blocked shots per game.

Seven points a game for the third best juco forward in the country????? Please tell me that's a misprint :mellow:

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Genbukan @ Apr 23 2010, 01:17 PM) [snapback]549358[/snapback]
I realize the game of basketball has changed through the years but --- Clark must really play well off the ball if he is
while
Seven points a game for the third best juco forward in the country????? Please tell me that's a misprint :mellow:

There's a kid on our baseball team right now that has a chance to be a decent draft pick this June and is currently sporting an ERA north of 8.00. Stats often tell only part of the story, and sometimes they just flat out lie.

50FT FROG

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Apr 23 2010, 06:22 PM) [snapback]549362[/snapback]
There's a kid on our baseball team right now that has a chance to be a decent draft pick this June and is currently sporting an ERA north of 8.00. Stats often tell only part of the story, and sometimes they just flat out lie.

lies, dam lies and statistics.

Houston Frog

I think it needs to be pointed out that Jarvis Ray (at one point) had offers from Memphis, Okie St, and LSU. I'm not sure if the offers still stood, or if those schools filled those slots before Ray made his decision, but either way, they liked him enough to offer him

AUFrog

QUOTE(Baja Frog (Viperfrog) @ Apr 23 2010, 07:04 PM) [snapback]549387[/snapback]
No Texas high school players???? WOW!

Is that an observation or a complaint? If an observation, yep, it's kinda interesting. I don't give a rip where these guys are originally from as long as they're even close to as good as I think they're going to be. Congrats to CJC on pulling in one hell of a solid class!

Leap Frog

I remember Pat Riley once saying he would like to field a team of five 6'7'' athletes who could all run, dribble, pass, shoot, rebound and play defense. Looks like coach Christian may have that luxury if he so opts. Whatever, things are looking up.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(AUFrog @ Apr 23 2010, 02:22 PM) [snapback]549393[/snapback]
Is that an observation or a complaint? If an observation, yep, it's kinda interesting. I don't give a rip where these guys are originally from as long as they're even close to as good as I think they're going to be. Congrats to CJC on pulling in one hell of a solid class!

+1

froginaustin

QUOTE(satis1103 @ Apr 23 2010, 02:01 PM) [snapback]549420[/snapback]
Let's hope we now see more butts in seats at DMC.

When the butts aren't virtually certain of a disappointment, they'll start showing up for men's basketball.

LVfrog

QUOTE(Genbukan @ Apr 23 2010, 01:17 PM) [snapback]549358[/snapback]
while

The ability to score is way more important than actually scoring. It looks like the kid will come and be an inside presence and our best inside defender. I'd rather have a good defender inside than a guy who only scores.

Yeager may take some minutes away from Moss and hopefully a beter player. Now it's time for CJC to mold these guys into a unit that can beat a team with a pulse.

East Coast

Tier 1
Looks like CJC got the players he wanted. The main concern with this class is that 4 of 6 are quick fix guys....this is a high risk, high reward class....if it doesn't work out, CJC will be gone and the cupboard will be bare....but if it does he could be working his magic all the way to the NCAA's....

Annoying Group of 20

Maybe a plausible scenario, but a good year next year and another recruiting class changes things. Christian seems like a winner and I think the odds are weighted in his/our favor.