• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Soccer Comes Up Short In Championship Game

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/11/10/womens-soccer-tcu-comes-up-short-in-championship-game.aspx

GoFrogs: TCU Comes Up Short In Championship Game

KANSAS CITY – A Kansas goal in the 55th minute stood up as the game winner as the Jayhawks held off a hard-charging TCU squad to win the championship by a 1-0 score. The Horned Frogs outshot the Jayhawks 18-14 in the game. Messiah Bright was named the Most Outstanding Offensive Player of the tournament.

The Rundown
The first half of the match was evenly played as the game was scoreless at halftime. Both teams registered five shots, but Kansas had the lone shot on goal, which was no issue for Emily Alvarado.

With five minutes to go in the half, the Frogs were buzzing in the attacking zone. They generated three shots and two corners, but the shots from Maddy Warren and Payton Crews were block by the KU defense.

Kansas struck for the only tally early in the second half. Ceri Holland sent a cross into the six-yard box, right to the foot of Mandi Duggan and she didn't miss as she gave the Jayhawks a 1-0 lead.

TCU didn't back down as it pushed to the very end to get the equalizer. The Frogs forced Sarah Peters to make a pair of saves. She was helped out by her defenders as twice they cleared a ball before it crossed the goal line. The Jayhawks also blocked four shots in the half.

Stat of the Game
– TCU earned 10 corner kicks in the game. It was the third time this season the Horned Frogs had at least 10 corners in a game.

Quotes of the Game
Head Coach Eric Bell

On the game:
"I told the team that I was proud of the way we fought. We gave ourselves a chance at the end to equalize. We created some big chances but hit the woodwork a couple of times and the goalkeeper came up big for them.

"Congratulations to Kansas. I would be remiss to not say congratulations to Mark Francis and his group, they played well."

On his team:
"We've grown up the last three weeks and now I think we're definitely one of the best 64 teams in the country. This group deserves to be in the tournament. Hopefully the committee sees that and we get the call tomorrow that we are in."

Notes
• TCU played in its fourth Big 12 Championship game (2012, 2016, 2017).
• TCU is now 4-6-6 in the Big 12 Championships.
• TCU outshot its opponent for the 11th time this season.
• TCU was shutout for just the fifth time this season.
Emily Alvarado made four saves in the game.
Messiah Bright led the team with six shots.
Yazmeen Ryan, Chaylyn Hubbard, Payton Crews, Brandi Peterson, Tara Smith and Gracie Brian played all 90 minutes.

Next
The Horned Frogs (11-7-3, 4-3-2) will wait to learn their postseason fate on Monday. The selection show will air on NCAA.com at 3:30 p.m. Monday afternoon.