• The KillerFrogs

"Gary's World"

NubomTurk

Tier 1
CDC was a fabulous money guy at Rice, where he oversaw the funding and construction of numerous new buildings and stadia.
And maniac, note that while BrewingFrog is apparently smoking the same thing I'm smoking, he still knows the correct plural form of the word "stadium."
Fine herb, indeed.

HoustonHornedFrog

As far as raising money, he certainly played a role, but I still give more credit to the FW Community and the success of the past decade of TCU Football than I do to CDC. In other words, I think someone else who stepped in here at the moment CDC did, probably could have taken the tools Hyman, Morrison, and GP have given him and gone out and raised that $ from the individuals in FW who made the decision to donate it.

Just my opinion

I agree that he was in a good position, but raising the kind of money they did, in the time period they raised it, is not something that just anyone could do, regardless of how well things were going on the field. I don't disagree that things were in a good position when he got here, but raising money on that level is a skill at which CDC excels. His fundraising skills were a big part of the reason he was hired away from Rice where he spearheaded the fundraising for the $23 million renovation of Autry Court.

"[Del Conte] is the best fundraiser I have ever worked with," David Sayler senior executive athletics director at Rice, said when Del Conte announced he was leaving Rice for TCU.

bronco

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=131730&view=findpost&p=764573

As far as the statue goes, hiking his pants or tying his shoes?

In all seriousness, I would much prefer a statue of LHCGP than the huge steel Texas high-school monstrosity they unveiled during super bowl week.

I would make the statue from just after getting doused with Gatorade at The Rose Bowl. Glasses half off looking as if he were a few bricks shy of a full load. That was funny.

Deep Purple

(pop quiz: name the three individuals who have statues on the TCU campus)

There are more than three individuals. There's the Clark brothers statue in the East Campus mall.

clarkbrothers.jpg

There's the Charles Tandy statue in front of Tandy Hall.

charestandy.jpg

And there's the statue in front of Starpoint School depicting Mary Brazelton Snead with her granddaughters Marian and Kathleen Neeley.

yearningtoknow.jpg

There are also a few statues of fictitious people. There's the Range Duty statue in front of the Ranch Management building.

rangeduty.jpg

And the Learning to Change the World statue in front of the Bailey Building.

teachingtochangetheworl.jpg

Of course, there's the Horned Frog statue...

hornedfrog.jpg

And even an abstract, called 15 Cubes. This one was done by Marton Varo, the same artist who sculpted the angels on Bass Hall.

15cubes.jpg

These are just the outside statues. There are also statues inside Sadler Hall, Palko Hall, and Reed Hall. And there are relief sculptures on the walls of Rogers Hall, Winton-Scott Hall, and Landreth Hall. Also on Amon Carter Stadium, until we blew it up.

FrogAbroad

I think it's safe to assume that every worthy individual named so far, if consulted about such an honor as a statue, would say something along the lines of, "I didn't accomplish anything without the help of many others." These folks are outstanding individuals, no argument about that, but their dreams and visions became reality because they surrounded themselves with good team members. So with that in mind...

How about setting aside some places to honor several persons who, throughout TCU's history, have contributed to the overall and long-term success of their program?

I've long envisioned part of the AGCS entrances adorned by bas relief plaques honoring our football greats. Something similar for DMC and Lupton and other venues as well.. These plaques would display the three dimensional profile of the individual and a few words about their contributions. We would honor them and educate future Horned Frogs at the same time.

Another very realistic consideration: a life-size bronze statue is going to run about $30,000, while a bronze bas relief about $4,000. Why not honor more of our greats than just one or two when we have at least a couple of dozen who have earned being remembered for a long, long time into the future.

Shooter

No offense, but I think that is ridiculous. I am extremely pleased with what CDC has done. He has some skins on the wall that can never be taken. He will always be the guy that was in the chair when we moved to an AQ.

Having said that, a lot of what he has been able to do (and received credit for) has been because of those who came before him. He has stood on the shoulders of Eric Hyman and Danny Morrison (and I don't mean that to sound negative). But if Hyman and Morrison, and to a greater extent Patterson...hadn't gotten this program to the heights it is at now, then that Big East move and the stadium do NOT get done.

As far as raising money, he certainly played a role, but I still give more credit to the FW Community and the success of the past decade of TCU Football than I do to CDC. In other words, I think someone else who stepped in here at the moment CDC did, probably could have taken the tools Hyman, Morrison, and GP have given him and gone out and raised that $ from the individuals in FW who made the decision to donate it.

Not bagging on CDC, he has not screwed this up, which can be the tendency when someone new walks in with their own way of thinking. In fact the Ath Dept HAS flourished even more under him, but I dont necessarily credit his 'accomplishments' as directly attributable to him and him alone as you seem to.

Just my opinion

100% spot on.

Endless Purple

I think it's safe to assume that every worthy individual named so far, if consulted about such an honor as a statue, would say something along the lines of, "I didn't accomplish anything without the help of many others." These folks are outstanding individuals, no argument about that, but their dreams and visions became reality because they surrounded themselves with good team members. So with that in mind...

How about setting aside some places to honor several persons who, throughout TCU's history, have contributed to the overall and long-term success of their program?

I've long envisioned part of the AGCS entrances adorned by bas relief plaques honoring our football greats. Something similar for DMC and Lupton and other venues as well.. These plaques would display the three dimensional profile of the individual and a few words about their contributions. We would honor them and educate future Horned Frogs at the same time.

Another very realistic consideration: a life-size bronze statue is going to run about $30,000, while a bronze bas relief about $4,000. Why not honor more of our greats than just one or two when we have at least a couple of dozen who have earned being remembered for a long, long time into the future.

I've always thought it would be great to have a walk of fame. Statues of a few great Frogs. Plus the wall behind could have the reliefs of more. I just have not decided if I would prefer an athletic one or one for athletes and academic and other stars that have impacted the school or country in some great fashion.

TEUFELI

I've always thought it would be great to have a walk of fame. Statues of a few great Frogs. Plus the wall behind could have the reliefs of more. I just have not decided if I would prefer an athletic one or one for athletes and academic and other stars that have impacted the school or country in some great fashion.

See I prefer to see a walk of shame exhibit. Statues of freshman co-eds walking in progression from Milton to Colby in Frat T-Shirts carrying FWST's which indicate it is Sunday morning.

Again...just my opinion.

TheSheik

While CDC certainly deserves some props for some of the changes that are taking place at the school, there's a significant number of residents near the campus who don't think very highly of him. They believe him to be belittling and arrogant. Granted, many of them didn't go to TCU, but they nonetheless have supported the school through the highs and lows. He needs to stay up to speed on Fort Worth politics and the "who's who" of the area to avoid or minimize the unpleasantries.

:rolleyes:

TEUFELI

While CDC certainly deserves some props for some of the changes that are taking place at the school, there's a significant number of residents near the campus who don't think very highly of him. They believe him to be belittling and arrogant. Granted, many of them didn't go to TCU, but they nonetheless have supported the school through the highs and lows. He needs to stay up to speed on Fort Worth politics and the "who's who" of the area to avoid or minimize the unpleasantries.

A lot of truth to this. And to expand a little - I think I should be honest in admitting I knew both Eric and Danny. I don't know CDC. That's ok, he doesn't need to say hi to me or bend over backwards to remember my name to do a good job, but I do think there is kind of an opinion out there that while he may sport the uber purple ensemble (tie, jacket, etc...), he still just got here and his efforts to get to know the TCU community (outside those who can't write 6 figure checks) have been sparse. He kind of has that aloof Calvin Coolodge feel to him.

Some of the words and actions he has chosen to reflect his opinion of the "feedback" on the stadium/seating/parking changes to come have been pelosi-esque. It is bothersome to some of the TCU community that he rolls in, high on the success of others...and kinda has presented an attitude of - "well this TCU thing is taking off with or without you, so I don't care how long you've supported this university and this program...you can either come up with hoards of fresh cash...or get left on the Tarmac that was 80's TCU sports." to some, it has felt more like a kingdom, than a democracy. And if at the end of the day...it is a kingdom...that's fine, but give the people a sense you care what they say.

Example -

The heart and soul of TCU athletics, and a large part of who has made this possible (aside from the obvious) is that group of fiercely loyal supporters (yes - many of them blue hairs) that supported TCU through the really really bad times. People who have given years of service to the university, be it through serving as presidents if letterman's association, to alumni boards, etc...many people are involved here that make TCU/Ft Worth special. We aren't UT/Austin....and don't wanna be.

A lot of these people (who were frogs WAY before CDC...and will be Frogs long after he's moved on to LSU, or wherever he goes next) want to make sure that things get done the right way here in our beloved home. Some feel as though they are being ignored and pushed aside in favor of "new money." I think we all get money drives this train that is college athletics...but again...at TCU (we aren't TU)...it should never be SOLELY about money.

While I can apprecciate how cool it must be for an '03 grad to get an immediate response from CDC, it must be equally as frustrating for a '69 grad to see his emailed concerns go unanswered as to why season ticket (and thus points) records only go back 15 years, why he is being pushed out of seats he/she has had for 30 yrs because some younger bucks (who never knew the hard times) joined an equity firm and can donate 10k more per yr. The point has been made to CDC that there aren't very many of these die-hards who wouldn't flinch at giving every penny they could to support TCU...but at some point, they get out priced. And the response from CDC has been, I hate to say it...somewhat arrogant. A real UT "Sorry - $ talks" type response.

This is one example. But I do think it reflects some of the unease with CDC that some of FT Worth and the Frog community feels. As I said, I do think he has done a great job, even if ALL the credit isn't his. But I also understand the disconnect that some lifelong Frogs in Fort Worth are feeling towards this new Frog.

tcumaniac

i kind of agree with this... to me he kind of comes off as a pompous [Craig James] hole... just my opinion.

i mean, i dont necessarily dislike him, but he hasn't won me over yet... im surprised so many die hards that have seen years and years struggle are willing to give praise to CDC so quickly after he jumps on the bandwagon after we became sucessful. I mean the situation he entered isn't his fault, but he seems really full of himself and just seems to have the attitude that he's responisble for our success more than he actually is and its kind of annoying. The way he treated lifelong supporters at the board meeting i went to kind of annoys me too. He just seemed very un-appreciative of the loyal fans and i also think he's outpricing the common fan when it comes to pricing of the new stadium...