• The KillerFrogs

"Gary's World"

LVfrog

I must be the only old hand that really likes CDC because my interactions with him have been up front and he has always been very personable. Human always seemed nice but aloof to me and my talks with Morrison were not always on the amicable side.

I, for one, am glad CDC is our AD. He doesn't need a
statue but the job he's done has been first rate.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
And maniac, note that while BrewingFrog is apparently smoking the same thing I'm smoking, he still knows the correct plural form of the word "stadium."
Fine herb, indeed.

The literati might argue that both "stadiums" and "stadia" are appropriate. "Stadiums" probably refers to multiple modern sports arenas, such as those constructed at Rice. "Stadia" probably refers to multiple classical track oval arenas.

I suggest we consult Earl from Mesquite for a final ruling.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I'm gonna make a W.A.G. that the statue of that there Cowboy is called Prometheus, y'all. And if it ain't, it should be. Maybe Prometheus Awaiting His Plate of Beans...

TEUFELI brings up a sore spot for me, the Points System. I was indeed a big giver back in the day. But, those days are gone and so, apparently, is any lasting love. But, IIRC, that arrangement came in under Morrison and not CDC. That is not to say CDC hasn't embraced the idea, he has, but let us carefully direct our vein of bile where it is appropriate. Boschini and the Brain Trust picked this guy for a reason, and if he doesn't bow properly to all the right folk, then panties will always be in a wad. It is always that way when a new and strong fellow comes in and changes things. The old arrangements are upset and some go away altogether.

But, what has been accomplished! What has been done! We are living in days of wonder and all is blossoming anew in Fort Worth!

Just for fun: I remember reading a letter to the Editor in the FWST in October of '84 pointing out that Wacker was a fraud, and that he was "just winning with F.A. Dry's boys." Even then I laughed, cause F.A. certainly wasn't winning with them. You just can't please all of the people all of the time.

PurplePutt

My statue suggestion was not meant to be something that needs to be done tomorrow, or even next year, but someday. Just that GP has done wonders for TCU football and in turn the university. Someday, when his run is over at TCU and/or when he retires it would be a fitting tribute like retiring the jersey of a player.

Read that someone said TCU wasn't big on statues. Can think of nothing better at that stadium than a row of statues of some of the legends of TCU football. Baugh, Aldrich, O'Brien, Meyer, Lilly, Thomlinson, and Patterson to name a few.

FrogAbroad

My statue suggestion was not meant to be something that needs to be done tomorrow, or even next year, but someday. Just that GP has done wonders for TCU football and in turn the university. Someday, when his run is over at TCU and/or when he retires it would be a fitting tribute like retiring the jersey of a player.

Read that someone said TCU wasn't big on statues. Can think of nothing better at that stadium than a row of statues of some of the legends of TCU football. Baugh, Aldrich, O'Brien, Meyer, Lilly, Thomlinson, and Patterson to name a few.

Agree 100% on honoring multiple contributors.

Dogfrog

CDC is a salesman. That's why he is good at closing deals like obtaining donations and navigating BE inclusion. I think TCU has needed a sales / marketing presence for a long time. What you get with this kind of personality is occasional hyperbole (At the BE announcement presser, following CDC's comments, Boschini came to the microphone and said "Thank you MR. Hyperbole". I like him. He keeps things loose, he uses humor a lot, and some people probably don't get it, or misinterpret it. I like the aggressive stance he takes publicly on some things, like his response to Gee at OSU. He's a breath of fresh air IMO.

Houston Frog

CDC is a salesman. That's why he is good at closing deals like obtaining donations and navigating BE inclusion. I think TCU has needed a sales / marketing presence for a long time. What you get with this kind of personality is occasional hyperbole (At the BE announcement presser, following CDC's comments, Boschini came to the microphone and said "Thank you MR. Hyperbole". I like him. He keeps things loose, he uses humor a lot, and some people probably don't get it, or misinterpret it. I like the aggressive stance he takes publicly on some things, like his response to Gee at OSU. He's a breath of fresh air IMO.

Agree with everything in the above post

Goo

There are more than three individuals. There's the Clark brothers statue in the East Campus mall.

clarkbrothers.jpg

There's the Charles Tandy statue in front of Tandy Hall.

charestandy.jpg

And there's the statue in front of Starpoint School depicting Mary Brazelton Snead with her granddaughters Marian and Kathleen Neeley.

yearningtoknow.jpg

There are also a few statues of fictitious people. There's the Range Duty statue in front of the Ranch Management building.

rangeduty.jpg

And the Learning to Change the World statue in front of the Bailey Building.

teachingtochangetheworl.jpg

Of course, there's the Horned Frog statue...

hornedfrog.jpg

And even an abstract, called 15 Cubes. This one was done by Marton Varo, the same artist who sculpted the angels on Bass Hall.

15cubes.jpg

These are just the outside statues. There are also statues inside Sadler Hall, Palko Hall, and Reed Hall. And there are relief sculptures on the walls of Rogers Hall, Winton-Scott Hall, and Landreth Hall. Also on Amon Carter Stadium, until we blew it up.
Well done!

Goo

While CDC certainly deserves some props for some of the changes that are taking place at the school, there's a significant number of residents near the campus who don't think very highly of him. They believe him to be belittling and arrogant. Granted, many of them didn't go to TCU, but they nonetheless have supported the school through the highs and lows. He needs to stay up to speed on Fort Worth politics and the "who's who" of the area to avoid or minimize the unpleasantries.

The guys just raised something $60 million in a few weeks for new stadium. I assure they are "up to speed on the Who's Who of Ft Worth."

halfwaytoheaven

These are just the outside statues. There are also statues inside Sadler Hall, Palko Hall, and Reed Hall. And there are relief sculptures on the walls of Rogers Hall, Winton-Scott Hall, and Landreth Hall. Also on Amon Carter Stadium, until we blew it up.

Didn't know about the one by Starpoint; never really went over there. Does the statue actually say who is depicted, or were those just the models? If the former, then I guess that makes it six. And I know about the cowboy and the girl on the globe, but as I mentioned earlier, those are depicting the concept of a cowboy or a student rather than honoring a specific individual as the proposed CGP statue would, so I didn't count them. Same goes for the reliefs on various buildings, unless one of those is a depiction of a specific person. And as for the stuff inside - not even guessing on that one.

ShivasFrog

While CDC certainly deserves some props for some of the changes that are taking place at the school, there's a significant number of residents near the campus who don't think very highly of him. They believe him to be belittling and arrogant...

I've talked to CDC on a casual basis on a couple of occasions and he's been very cordial and engaged and seemed interested in the discussion. Never detected any arrogance at all.

Like Houston said earlier in the thread, agree with all of this. Well put.

TCUFan09

TCU isn't big on statues of people (pop quiz: name the three individuals who have statues on the TCU campus), but if they did one of Gary, this pose could work:

There are actually 4 statues on campus: Addison and Randolf Clark, Charles Tandy, and the cowboy statue in front of the Ranch Management building. But I guess the cowboy statue isn't really of anyone in particular.