• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU vs Oklahoma; Sponsored by Stanley Eisenman’s Fine Shoes

Horny4TCU

What’s your guess on OU’s record for the year?
After watching them yesterday, it'll be hard for them to get bowl eligible with the schedule they have left.

Don't get me wrong, I think we are good. But 0U looks to be really bad. They'll have to beat ISU, Tech, and WVU to get eligible; I don't think they have a chance in the other games left on their schedule. UT, Baylor, and OSU are gonna kick their butts.

ticketfrog123

After watching them yesterday, it'll be hard for them to get bowl eligible with the schedule they have left.

Don't get me wrong, I think we are good. But 0U looks to be really bad. They'll have to beat ISU, Tech, and WVU to get eligible; I don't think they have a chance in the other games left on their schedule. UT, Baylor, and OSU are gonna kick their butts.
Agree. Surprised they don’t have a backup QB that’s any good given Gabriel’s injury history.

Horny4TCU

You guys know me: I’m the eternal Gary Patterson supporter.

But with this win, the Sonny Dykes Era at TCU has officially begun.

I’m sold!

Go Frogs!
Hold your horses there sparky. We still haven't really faced anyone. Smew gave us trouble and CU kept our offense from scoring for 30 minutes. 0U is just really bad. Don't get me wrong, though. It was great beating 0U, even if it is a down year.

CountryFrog

Hold your horses there sparky. We still haven't really faced anyone. Smew gave us trouble and CU kept our offense from scoring for 30 minutes. 0U is just really bad. Don't get me wrong, though. It was great beating 0U, even if it is a down year.
I can only assume that you were shouting from the mountain top how bad Oklahoma is all week leading up to the game yesterday right?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Mrs. Brewingfrog and I had a marvelous time at the game yesterday. Atmosphere was good, vibe was good, and the Frogs were amped up but reserved, like they were going to properly direct that energy rather than waste it on frivolity. Very business-like.

We sat in new seats for the first time, after moving following the Plague year and re-seating following the StubHub Purge. Excellent location, comfortable, great view. Only problem, Mrs. Brewingfrog is cunningly profane when she wants to be, and there were several younger children around us. Very early on, before kickoff, she broke out an f-bomb describing something, and I gave her a look and motioned behind me where a tall fellow and his 7-year-old son were sitting. She very contritely apologized, and all was forgiven, yet she made a concentrated effort to curb any naughtiness in her speech from that point forward. As the game got underway, there were about 6 kids around, so she became hyper-conscious about profanity. Not even a "Dammit" out of her.

Then came the Non-Call on the PI, which was right down in front of us. She leapt to her feet, drew a breath to scream hideous spells of ruin down upon the perfidious swine of a back judge, and remembered all the kids. I could see her mind frantically working on suitable verbiage to hurl, and all she could come up with was, "BOOOOO! BOOOOO!"

I told her, "If you had a big wart on your nose, that might work a little better..."

I'm told the burns will heal in a week or two.

Horny4TCU

I can only assume that you were shouting from the mountain top how bad Oklahoma is all week leading up to the game yesterday right?
Not at all. I truly thought we were gonna win a close one, or get our arses handed to us. But after watching the whole game, in the sun, with no wind, walking 30 miles up hill to the stadium, I saw an 0U get embarrassed. Their defense didn't know how to play and the QB play was mediocre at best. We would've done them a favor if we knocked out both their QBs to see if the third stringer was any good.

Ron Swanson

Not at all. I truly thought we were gonna win a close one, or get our arses handed to us. But after watching the whole game, in the sun, with no wind, walking 30 miles up hill to the stadium, I saw an 0U get embarrassed. Their defense didn't know how to play and the QB play was mediocre at best. We would've done them a favor if we knocked out both their QBs to see if the third stringer was any good.
But even if they are bad, we beat the ever living ship out of them, and we could’ve scored quite a bit more. We let off the gas.

If we play like that every week, we are going 11-1 or 12-0.

Question is how are we gonna play on our down weeks, and when we have bad games, are we able to still win. Does this team have that “it” factor that good teams have.

I’d say, barring key injuries, this team’s absolute floor jumped from 5 wins to 8 wins yesterday. I’m not saying that we’re gonna be in the playoffs or anything, but we now know we are legit.

Horny4TCU

But even if they are bad, we beat the ever living ship out of them, and we could’ve scored quite a bit more. We let off the gas.

If we play like that every week, we are going 11-1 or 12-0.

Question is how are we gonna play on our down weeks, and when we have bad games, are we able to still win. Does this team have that “it” factor that good teams have.

I’d say, barring key injuries, this team’s absolute floor jumped from 5 wins to 8 wins yesterday. I’m not saying that we’re gonna be in the playoffs or anything, but we now know we are legit.
1000% agree.

If the same team that played yesterday shows up like they did in every game this year, we steam roll everyone. I predicted 7-5 for the season, but the team I saw yesterday was a playoff caliber team.

I just hope it's not 0U making us look that good...

Pharm Frog

Ron said it so well.

I’m not discounting the contributions of the winningest coach in school history.

I’m simply saying that I’m convinced Sonny Dykes was the right man at the right time.

Only time will tell.

Go Frogs!
SD may be the right coach at the right time. I’m keeping the powder dry on that. What is certain (and I believe has been clear for several seasons) is that GP was no longer the right coach for the program.

Frog Attack II

Well.... we did just beat OU for only the 2nd time in the BIG 12. We are in the top 25 and currently undefeated. Not sure what else you want to say that HCSD is the right coach in the right time. I mean, it's basically the same team as GP had last year. I fully expect us to drop a game that we shouldn't... but man... what a difference it is to have real assistant coaches (plus strength and conditioning) coaching these guys up vs coaching them down.

CountryFrog

OU was likely overrated, they may not even be top 25 caliber. We'll see as the season plays out. But if you're basing your opinion of them being "really bad" on only a single game then I think you have to at least consider the possibility that, while they obviously aren't great, maybe TCU was part of the reason they looked really bad yesterday.

And if OU is really bad then I don't know how to even begin to describe what Nebraska must be. The worst team in the history of P5 football I suppose.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
OU was likely overrated, they may not even be top 25 caliber. We'll see as the season plays out. But if you're basing your opinion of them being "really bad" on only a single game then I think you have to at least consider the possibility that, while they obviously aren't great, maybe TCU was part of the reason they looked really bad yesterday.

And if OU is really bad then I don't know how to even begin to describe what Nebraska must be. The worst team in the history of P5 football I suppose.
OU is falling apart mentally. They don't have any problem with talent (well, except at QB), so the problem then must be coaching. Somebody has failed at mentally preparing them for game time, and that same somebody failed at re-motivating them after losing to K. State. They just deflated yesterday.

Conversely, the Frog preparation and poise was superb. For everything thrown at them, they had an answer and they delivered that answer with calm, cool, collected force. I was mightily impressed by how this team has developed and matured in such a short time. We're only just getting into Conference play, so much is still to unfold, but that was a really good start!