• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU vs Cal

Wexahu

I have a difficult time understanding anyone who watched the play calling for the first 5 series think that was coherent believe we're headed in a new and improved direction.

Play calling, discipline and organization was the very same it has been for the past three years.

We threw the ball way too much and didn't allow our stud RB to work on pounding it between the tackles. One of the benefits would have been to wear their defense out in the heat.

But again we needed to be "cute".

Officially we ran the ball 50 times and threw it 31. I realize maybe 5 or 6 of those “runs” were not intended to be and Max took off with it, but I don’t know what you watched. We ran the ball a lot. I’m not crazy about the QB runs just because I don’t want MD to get beat up, but they are effective at times and MD is a good runner.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
We've all heard the old coaching adage that, "You make the most progress as a team between your first and second games of the season."

Cal proved the truth of that adage yesterday. I thought they played much better against us than they did against Nevada.

As for the Frogs, Duquesne was such a weak opening opponent that we really had no clue after that game what we needed to improve upon before we faced Cal. So, for all intents and purposes, Cal was our first real game of the season and I therefore look forward to seeing significant progress on both sides of the ball when we face SMU.

But I just wish we'd stop playing such woe-be-gone patsies as Duquesne or the HBC teams that we have in the past. We gain NOTHING by doing so except getting an automatic win. And scheduling Duquesne as our first game almost cost us a victory in our second game, which could've easily gone the other way.

Plus, these "body-bag" games are a rip-off for season-ticket holders who wind up paying "full price" for them while others can buy a ticket for $5 outside the stadium at kick-off if they want to personally witness such embarrassing spectacles.

With all that being said, I'm afraid that Patterson is going to keep playing one such game each year, especially if we go to an eight-game conference schedule in the "New" Big 12. But I still won't like it.
With 7 home games this year, and no increase in ticket prices, the Duquesne game was free. But, I too would like a better game than that in most years. This year with 7 home games I’ll give it a pass. I’m willing to bet if that game was against another P5 the season ticket prices would have gone up accordingly.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Officially we ran the ball 50 times and threw it 31. I realize maybe 5 or 6 of those “runs” were not intended to be and Max took off with it, but I don’t know what you watched. We ran the ball a lot. I’m not crazy about the QB runs just because I don’t want MD to get beat up, but they are effective at times and MD is a good runner.
People seem to see what they want to see at times. If we had run more it would have been Miller and Foster. Small chance Evans was getting 25-30 carries in a game.

4th. down

I have a difficult time understanding anyone who watched the play calling for the first 5 series think that was coherent believe we're headed in a new and improved direction.

Play calling, discipline and organization was the very same it has been for the past three years.

We threw the ball way too much and didn't allow our stud RB to work on pounding it between the tackles. One of the benefits would have been to wear their defense out in the heat.

I have to agree, we didn't start the first quarter with our strength, instead we went to a less viable alternative. Believe Kill straightened out Meach after that and we know what happened.

With regard to the above in the 1st. quarter, I thought we came out flat , offense and defense, except for Max if you went by his facial expression, he was wired real tight. In the defense against the Dukes, we were hyped up and appeared to me to be real fast and quick. Not so to begin this game. No pressure and long bombs to uncovered receivers shows that the coaches did not have the players ready to play a power 5 opponent.

Moose Stuff

You’re having a difficult time separating poor play calling from poorly executed plays. Also, I’m gonna focus on the last three quarters that were really good and not the first one that wasn’t. You do you though.

ticketfrog123

You’re having a difficult time separating poor play calling from poorly executed plays. Also, I’m gonna focus on the last three quarters that were really good and not the first one that wasn’t. You do you though.

2nd quarter sucked too. Zach evans bailed out this team with a monster run to end the half

Moose Stuff

2nd quarter sucked too. Zach evans bailed out this team with a monster run to end the half

We scored 14 points in the second quarter and part of that “monster run” was the fact that Meach called the play (a play Cal clearly wasn’t looking for). 2 out of 4 good quarters… 3 out of 4 good quarters… either way it’s a much better percentage than your good posts.

Last edited:

LVH

Its funny how many people are whining about the offense still.

Here is a list of the Top 10 offensive games so far this season in terms of offensive drive efficiency(adjusted for opponent strength):

1 1 Alabama Miami 2.912 -0.563 2.350 W 44-13
2 1 Cincinnati Miami (OH) 2.756 0.215 2.971 W 49-14
3 1 Auburn Akron 2.583 1.486 4.069 W 60-10
4 2 Purdue Connecticut 2.050 1.937 3.987 W 49-0
5 2 Coastal Carolina Kansas 1.733 0.465 2.198 W 49-22
6 2 Virginia Illinois 1.614 0.615 2.229 W 42-14
7 2 Memphis Arkansas State 1.571 0.467 2.039 W 55-50
8 2 Western Kentucky Army 1.565 -0.068 1.497 L 38-35
9 2 TCU California 1.560 -0.261 1.299 W 34-32
10 1 Ohio State Minnesota 1.520 0.774 2.294 W 45-31

I am guessing having the 9th best game of any team this year offensively is unacceptable to many here, we need to occupy spots 1 through 10 this season or the offense sucks.

Moose Stuff

Here is a list of the Top 10 offensive games so far this season in terms of offensive drive efficiency(adjusted for opponent strength):

I am guessing having the 9th best game of any team this year offensively is unacceptable to many here, we need to occupy spots 1 through 10 this season or the offense sucks.

Here’s the reality…. We have quite a few posters on here that don’t have the slightest clue what they’re looking at and so when we don’t perform up to their expectations they just go straight to something that people have complained about in the past (in this case the offense). Things worth complaining about in that game….

1) Max’s deep ball
2) Coverage in the secondary
3) Kell’s brutal FG attempt
4) Minimal pressure on the Cal QB

Our play calling/overall offensive performance aren't anywhere close to this list.

ticketfrog123

sample size…you think this offense is top 10-20?

I and most of this board will take whatever odds we are not a top 20 offense with this OL

ticketfrog123

so why don't you list our the QBs that won last weekend with 4 great quarters with no down quarter?

It won't take you more than 2 mins to make a list because its a really short list....

zach evans and QJ won this game.

max was just there and arguably almost lost the game for TCU. Thankfully cal can’t make extra points

Wexahu

I and most of this board will take whatever odds we are not a top 20 offense with this OL

I have no idea. Hopefully it is.

But they played well Saturday, as basically every statistic indicates, and you're still complaining. We ran for 271 yards and had over 500 yards of total offense. I think some of that had to do with the OL playing a pretty good game. You know, it's not going to be just a march up and down the field every possession, our opponents have scholarships to play football too.

flyfishingfrog

max was just there and arguably almost lost the game for TCU. Thankfully cal can’t make extra points
that is your opinion - we are all aware of it because you are the Maniac of Duggan beating.....over and over and over and over

but 234 yds, 3 tds isn't a bad outing even with the lack of ability to hit the deep ball.

and his running ability made some plays that a lot of other QBs would not have made including the final 1st down.

And he made those throws to QJ - QJ used his running ability to get away from defenders for sure - but he also didn't win many of his battles in the air for the ball, so he needed a QB to hit him for him to shine after the catch.

Evans is a beast no doubt and over came some bad blocking to pick up major yards - however you dismiss the affect of the fact that other defenses have to keep a spy on Duggan every play to keep him from running when you say Evans did it all without Max.

Paul in uhh

I agree regarding Q1 but his play was also a big factor in us winning the latter three quarters. You don’t suck your way into 4 TDs and a combined 300 yards. A younger QB might’ve let the beginning ruin his whole day.

LVH

Many on this board circlejerk over Sonny Dykes and SMU's offense and what he is doing... for comparison their game against North Texas was the 137th best offensive performance of the season in terms of drive efficiency. But I guess that is better than 9th.

Paul in uhh

I hesitate to put a number on it so early in the year but I will counter with this: Cal knew from the third quarter on that we would run the ball as much as possible. They loaded up against us and still couldn’t stop it.

We likely won’t finish in the top 10 offenses statistically because our scoring drives take 4-7 minutes. But if they know what we are doing and can’t stop it, that’s good, no?

cal defense isn’t Bama but it’s light years ahead of Duquesne.

ticketfrog123

that is your opinion - we are all aware of it because you are the Maniac of Duggan beating.....over and over and over and over

but 234 yds, 3 tds isn't a bad outing even with the lack of ability to hit the deep ball.

and his running ability made some plays that a lot of other QBs would not have made including the final 1st down.

And he made those throws to QJ - QJ used his running ability to get away from defenders for sure - but he also didn't win many of his battles in the air for the ball, so he needed a QB to hit him for him to shine after the catch.

Evans is a beast no doubt and over came some bad blocking to pick up major yards - however you dismiss the affect of the fact that other defenses have to keep a spy on Duggan every play to keep him from running when you say Evans did it all without Max.

you sound like a closet racist.

QJ didn’t win his battles? He was overthrown 10 yards then underthrown 5 yards - clearly remember him breaking up an interception

Evans needs to give max some credit? Absolutely not. Max barely ran much yesterday - by obvious design. Evans absolutely “did it all” without max

flyfishingfrog

you sound like a closet racist.

QJ didn’t win his battles? He was overthrown 10 yards then underthrown 5 yards - clearly remember him breaking up an interception

Evans needs to give max some credit? Absolutely not. Max barely ran much yesterday - by obvious design. Evans absolutely “did it all” without max
an interception he had to break up because he waited on the ball and when he went up, the DB starting going in front of him. and he had another play that the ball got knocked out of his hands because he didn't go high point the ball and let the DB get a hand in despite being a foot taller than the DB.

He can be great and when he has a step - Duggan needs to learn to hit him in stride and great things happen. But he is not Doctson in the air by any means yet - he is not winning the battle above the turf but feel like he has a lot of room to improve only being a Sophomore.

Max had a ton of runs yesterday - he rushed 19 times and actually gained over 100 yds on the ground. Anyone who can't acknowledge that a running QB benefits the RB crew is just not knowledgeable about football or blinded by hate. It would be like saying the RPO doesn't help the passing game.

Mean Purple

If you want poor play calling, Cal going for 2 on the pick six, again, was not a good idea. put them going for 2 at the end. fortunate for us.