• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: Southern Jaguars vs TCU

Deep Purple

Yes, and the Southern Band was phenomenally good and loud! Stole the show.
Certainly phenomenally loud. They were about 80% brass, 10% percussion, and 10% woodwinds. Also great at marching, but not so good at playing music -- just loud.

They also broke NCAA rules a number of times today by continuing to play right through the action when the ball was in play.

Eight

Certainly phenomenally loud. They were about 80% brass, 10% percussion, and 10% woodwinds. Also great at marching, but not so good at playing music -- just loud.

They also broke NCAA rules a number of times today by continuing to play right through the action when the ball was in play.

from what i could tell on television no one near them was complaining about it in the second half

Frog4Real

Having grown up attending HBCU games, the bands never stop playing when play starts. Must be a gentleman's agreement or general understanding.

The bands are the entertainment of the game....not only for halftime, but also during the game.

All the sponsorship slots and music over the speakers are not necessary. The bands battle back and forth all game.

Then, after the game, they will play in the stands for about 10 more minutes, which they did yesterday before lining up and marching out

netty2424

Instead of a montage of the Riff Ram it's an inspirational Ted Talk-like "What is Riff Ram" speech with the guest at the end saying give em hell. I couldn't see who it was from where I was in the press box, but whoever they had do the speech did a damn good job.

Kickoff (8:22 2Q) - fair catch
Davey O'Brien Jr

netty2424

Took my 1&3 year olds yesterday so I saw all of about 3 plays before we headed back into the shade. Watched the recorded game late last night after a long day when I got home, so I'm not sure what I got out of this game outside of SR having an absolute cannon of an arm. Not always accurate as he missed some really 'easy throws' and skipped a couple off the dirt, but hopefully that improves. Might have been the adrenaline, not sure.

And the difference between SR's arm and MC arm is minimal. We're in good hands at the QB position.

Given the competition, the knuckleheads, and the injuries, I'm not sure what else I got from this game. Anderson not having any break away runs was surprising, but he was taking contact at the line. Hopefully he breaks loose like last year before getting injured.

Putt4Purple

D. Anderson will take a couple of games before he is comfortable making moves and getting hit without thinking about it before he breaks out. Hopefully he gets it out of his system Friday against SMU.

Froginbedford

The first song they played once they got settled in the stands was the tune "Gimme That Old-Time Religion"....IIRC, the old I.M. Terrell High band in Fort Worth played the same song and the local lyrics were "gimme that old Terrell spirit...it was good enough for father..." etc....I wonder if SU's words were "old Southern spirit"? And the feather-fringed umbrellas that their showgirls had added a nice old-school, old-southern charm atmosphere....