• The KillerFrogs

Game Day Experience

They get paid more to drop Amazon packages off at people’s front door and they don’t have to deal with rude customers all day long either. In general a lot of people found other things to do that they think a way better than service industry jobs.
Yup. AMZN hired 500,000 ppl in 2020 with a MINIMUM 15$p/hr and benefits. Many other delivery/warehouse jobs followed. Call centers are doing the same (eg. Apple - salary, benefits and work from home).

Service industry needs to catch up.

TCUdirtbag

Yup. AMZN hired 500,000 ppl in 2020 with a MINIMUM 15$p/hr and benefits. Many other delivery/warehouse jobs followed. Call centers are doing the same (eg. Apple - salary, benefits and work from home).

Service industry needs to catch up.

This. There are many problems contributing to the labor shortage, but the leading problem isn’t government aid or any other scapegoat. The “problem” (for clarity: not a problem) is market forces (aka, capitalism) have pushed up the market wage/employment expectations and a lot of employers would rather blame government aid or other scapegoats than raise their wage and/or adjust their offerings to what the market is simply demanding. That’s what happens when wages have been stagnant for a couple decades while cost of living increases and a major economic/societal shakeup makes workers realize their value (and values).

This to say, the staffing issues at AGCS are no different than what every other employer is facing. We’re living through a major labor market shakeup, and it’s taking a while to figure out how to respond. Until it settles, we all need to adjust our expectations accordingly. No need to be entitled pricks.

Last edited:

jake102

This. The problem isn’t government aid or any other scapegoat. The “problem” (for clarity: not a problem) is capitalism has pushed up the market wage and a lot of employers would rather blame government aid or other scapegoats than raise the wage to what the market is demanding. That’s what happens when wages have been stagnant for a couple decades while cost of living increases and a major economic shakeup makes workers realize their value.

To be fair - if the option is to work for $0/hour or $9/hour, you’d think 99% would choose $9/hour. But they aren’t, so there is something else going on.

If unemployment AND job openings are rising at the same time, there’s some other factor at work

TCUdirtbag

To be fair - if the option is to work for $0/hour or $9/hour, you’d think 99% would choose $9/hour. But they aren’t, so there is something else going on.

If unemployment AND job openings are rising at the same time, there’s some other factor at work

Revised above for clarity. And there are more available jobs than unemployed people right now. So the pressure should be mounting on employers to raise wages. But with regard to $9 > $0, the market has simply decided the opportunity cost of working for $9 is too great. For some potential workers, the (now expired) government aid might’ve been the difference. For many it wasn’t.

There’s a lot you can look at — for example, who left the labor market in the last 18 months? A lot of women. Simply put, a substantial number of households decided they could live off 1 income during the Covid economic shakeup. That opened jobs throughout the economy for people that were in lower paying jobs to move up, creating a domino effect of crushing the low-wage service industry. Add in, as someone else pointed out, the new service industry jobs that exploded in the past 18 months—Amazon delivery, grocery delivery, Uber eats, etc.—where employees can pick their hours for the same or better wages with (or even less given) far lower stress than waiting tables or serving a bunch of rich [ Arschloch]s in a college football stadium, and you have a perfect storm for 30-minute beer lines.

TCU, Jeremiah Donati, Victor Boschini, et al, aren’t going to solve the labor market in a week. They’ll do what they can to get their contractors to have workers serving beer next weekend, but we need to have reasonable expectations in the current economic reality.

BedfordFrog68

My sciatica was unforgiving after the game and me having to walk from the stadium to one block west of University to catch the Paschal shuttle...I had to stop twice to sit on landscaping walls to get some pain relief....I know that the walkways and entry gates were far less crowded with Frog Alley moved, but surely someone in Athletics could have and should have considered the burden placed on those taking the Paschal shuttle (I know TCU gets no parking revenue from the high school)....There is very little advantage to parking at Paschal now and the $20 fee now puts me out about 5 blocks away from the gates as compared to previous years...There is no Medicare compensation, there are no parking tags for this type of problem, so it seems to devolve to Athletics to reconsider and refigure the drop off and pick up points....Other shuttles had closer points ... I have enjoyed being dropped off at Frog Alley since the reconstruction of the stadium....I don't think this is a first world problem...

The last guy deleted his tweet but he blasted Donati about the Champions Club. I think he could have easily taken it directly to Donati or FrogClub instead of airing it on twitter but whatever. Donati and the Club should definitely fix the issues for the price they pay.

What was ultra embarrassing was he took a picture of the bar line with a caption that said they we left before half time because of this line. Just so pathetic that you would leave the FOOTBALL GAME because the line was too long. Smh.
“Just so pathetic” may exaggerate. A club member has agreed to be gouged for those seats, but then is expecting comfort and some luxury in return. Gouged while playing Duquesne and leading 35-0. I can see feeling “taken advantage of.” I agree that it is best to not make this public if there is a higher road to take, but it was the easiest way to communicate a wrong. Donati confesses he knew going in they were short handed, so when it became a problem how about being prepared... maybe drinks on the house to avoid exchanging money. Maybe lining up bottles, mixers and cups of ice on that long bar to let people serve themselves if inclined to. It is a private club, right?... so make it feel that way and your members/boosters happy. Good business, and accommodating in an adverse situation impresses. Could have turned a negative reflection into a positive one... missed the opportunity.

Last edited:

Dogfrog

“Just so pathetic” may exaggerate. A club member has agreed to be gouged for those seats, but then is expecting comfort and some luxury in return. Gouged while playing Duquesne and leading 35-0. I can see feeling being taken advantage of, and angry. I agree that it is best to not make this public if there is a higher road to take, but it was the easiest way to communicate a wrong. Donati confesses he knew going in they were short handed, so when it became a problem how about being prepared... maybe drinks on the house to avoid exchanging money. Maybe even putting bottles and mixers and cups of ice on the bar and let people serve themselves if inclined to. It is a private club, right... so make it feel that way and make your members/boosters happy. Good business.

Hell Donati and his staff could have put on the little red vests and got after it. That would be impressive.

Pharm Frog

This. There are many problems contributing to the labor shortage, but the leading problem isn’t government aid or any other scapegoat. The “problem” (for clarity: not a problem) is market forces (aka, capitalism) have pushed up the market wage/employment expectations and a lot of employers would rather blame government aid or other scapegoats than raise their wage and/or adjust their offerings to what the market is simply demanding. That’s what happens when wages have been stagnant for a couple decades while cost of living increases and a major economic/societal shakeup makes workers realize their value (and values).

This to say, the staffing issues at AGCS are no different than what every other employer is facing. We’re living through a major labor market shakeup, and it’s taking a while to figure out how to respond. Until it settles, we all need to adjust our expectations accordingly. No need to be entitled pricks.

Never downward adjust expectations for fulfillment of job basics. Never. Or…the market will settle at the diminished expectations. There were multiple issues with the service aspects of the game and labor shortages were only part of the issue. Training, supply chain, and logistics were lacking.

Pharm Frog

Hell Donati and his staff could have put on the little red coats and got after it. That would be impressive.

And warranted IMO. I don’t guess I’ll ever understand the desire/need to be catered to while being a spectator at an athletic event but these folks obviously paid for a service/product that was far below expectations.

Prime BEEF

A family with 4 kids is making $1200/month now off of the child care allotment. If that same family has two parents making $2k/each/month off of unemployment plus that child care money, that certainly makes a difference in whether they want to work or not. Especially if daycare for them to work costs around $2k/month.

makes a hell of a lot of sense to stay home and save on daycare costs

Dogfrog

And warranted IMO. I don’t guess I’ll ever understand the desire/need to be catered to while being a spectator at an athletic event but these folks obviously paid for a service/product that was far below expectations.

Im frankly not a huge DelConte fan, but one thing he knew how to sell was his own image. Guarantee you if DelConte was in that club and saw the line that it is exactly what he would have done. Probably would have passed out cups of ice and walked around with the bottles. And paid for it himself.

TCUdirtbag

A family with 4 kids is making $1200/month now off of the child care allotment. If that same family has two parents making $2k/each/month off of unemployment plus that child care money, that certainly makes a difference in whether they want to work or not. Especially if daycare for them to work costs around $2k/month.

makes a hell of a lot of sense to stay home and save on daycare costs

FWIW, If one parent makes $2k/month and it costs $2k/month for child care for 2, the second parent is probably staying home anyway since childcare is a wash and they likely already aren’t getting benefits at a job that pays them $24k/yr. And your hypothetical family is living at the 200% poverty line. The problem isn’t the $1,200.

Prime BEEF

FWIW, If one parent makes $2k/month and it costs $2k/month for child care for 2, the second parent is probably staying home anyway since childcare is a wash and they likely already aren’t getting benefits at a job that pays them $24k/yr. And your hypothetical family is living at the 200% poverty line. The problem isn’t the $1,200.
Both parents make $2k/month unemployment. And then you add the $1200. Why would these people want to go to work for $15/hr? At 40hrs/week that’s $2,400 a month pre-tax.

you’re right. It isn’t the $1200. It’s the unemployment and the $1200 plus not paying daycare costs if you stay home. $15/hr won’t cut it. Would need $25/hr to get them back at work…maybe.

Although I have seen that some states are no longer doing the extra $300/week unemployment checks anymore.

Not hypothetical. But ok. No more politics. I know most don’t want to read that. I’m done.

TCUdirtbag

Both parents make $2k/month unemployment. And then you add the $1200. Why would these people want to go to work for $15/hr? At 40hrs/week that’s $2,400 a month pre-tax.

you’re right. It isn’t the $1200. It’s the unemployment and the $1200 plus not paying daycare costs if you stay home. $15/hr won’t cut it. Would need $25/hr to get them back at work…maybe.

Although I have seen that some states are no longer doing the extra $300/week unemployment checks anymore.

Not hypothetical. But ok. No more politics. I know most don’t want to read that. I’m done.

Your first post was unclear to me. This clarifies and makes some more sense. Though it kind of misrepresents how the unemployment system fundamentally works in calculating payments and further in assuming two people lost their jobs (and benefits, if they had them) and could take unemployment indefinitely. And yeah not just some states cut off the Trump-era and Biden-extended enhanced pandemic unemployment payments a while back. Now the federal government has entirely stopped funding it, so you can revise “some” states to “all.” If enhanced unemployment benefits was the overarching problem some have claimed it to be (spoiler alert: it wasn’t, it’s a scapegoat), we’ll see those Dairy Queen jobs fill up in a number of weeks.

Brog

What is driving this? Is having a job no longer necessary? I don’t get it. I thought they stopped a lot of the COVID related bennies from uncle sugar.

Part of what's driving it is the government giving $300 pER WEEK (in addition to unemployment) to most anyone. Why work when you can make more sitting on your butt at home. But someone said this $300 per week ends this week. Maybe we'll see a turnaround.

Long Time Lurker

I appreciate the conversation about unemployment and labor shortages, many cogent points were made. I knew my view was short sighted, that’s why I asked. My industry keeps me pretty much insulated from market volatility. I can’t escape inflation though.

TCUdirtbag

Yes, customers paying for a service. Except when they want to be seen as generous donors.