• The KillerFrogs

Game 1: #18 CS Fullerton vs. #16 TCU

FBallFan123

well the announcers just called us out for running ourselves out of the game earlier today...

Nothing new there.

Jim Callis, the MLB Pipeline draft expert, just said TCU faces two really elite freshmen pitchers this weekend...Mike Vasil On Saturday for Virginia and Kumar Rocker On Sunday for Vanderbilt.

flyfishingfrog

Nothing new there.

Jim Callis, the MLB Pipeline draft expert, just said TCU faces two really elite freshmen pitchers this weekend...Mike Vasil On Saturday for Virginia and Kumar Rocker On Sunday for Vanderbilt.
yeah - I heard that. So we face 2 of the only 1st rounder draft choices to decide to show up at campus instead of take the money?

Should be a good test if some of the guys that were struggling today can get some bat on the ball.

FBallFan123

yeah - I heard that. So we face 2 of the only 1st rounder draft choices to decide to show up at campus instead of take the money?

Should be a good test if some of the guys that were struggling today can get some bat on the ball.

Rocker was at one point talked about as potentially the top Hs pitcher in the draft.

His dad was former NFL player Tracy Rocker.

Kumar has a pro body already...MLB Pipeline him a 70 fastball grade and a 60’slider grade.

Tough way to start a season but in some ways this is good, as TCU will get some really early looks at elite stuff.

Shame These games aren’t on TV.

Bizarro Frog

Did he really say that more aggressive base running is the change in philosophy that got us the multiple visits to the CWS? I find that very hard to believe. I generally think the Frogs are quite good at aggressively stealing bases but find them frustrating as hell in their aggressive batted ball base running. And I think that Oklahoma State just picked another Frog off 1st base as I typed this.
I understand that you have to have great pitching to get to the CWS but I am just repeating what Coach Shcloss said about their change in offensive philosophy. He also said they cut back on the amount of bunts. If I remember correctly the philosophy was to constantly put pressure on the opposing team to make them uncomfortable and force mistakes.

Hopefully it works better today against Virginia.

MTfrog5

I understand that you have to have great pitching to get to the CWS but I am just repeating what Coach Shcloss said about their change in offensive philosophy. He also said they cut back on the amount of bunts. If I remember correctly the philosophy was to constantly put pressure on the opposing team to make them uncomfortable and force mistakes.

Hopefully it works better today against Virginia.
Many coaches feel like bunting puts pressure on defenses and pitchers as well. When it’s a huge park like Omaha, I’d like to bunt a little more

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If I remember correctly the philosophy was to constantly put pressure on the opposing team to make them uncomfortable and force mistakes.
We keep running ourselves out of scoring opportunities and he might wish to re-think that. Makes me wonder if they keep a stat of "blown chances" alongside that of "innings where we stole a run" just to keep it honest. I think that we Baseball Ignorant Folk can safely put down -2 in the "blown chances" column...

JogginFrog

I'm sure the stats across all of college baseball point to aggression paying off through defensive mistakes. Not bunting probably pays off statistically as well because of big innings.

But if you did the same analysis on elite teams, it seems likely that you would find those teams considerably less likely to make defensive mistakes in response to basepath aggression, and that the value of a single run through bunting would be higher due to better pitching and lower game scores.

All that to say, I'd like to see the Frogs shift their strategy a bit when playing elite teams like this weekend--and in the NCAAs/CWS.

Bizarro Frog

I'm sure the stats across all of college baseball point to aggression paying off through defensive mistakes. Not bunting probably pays off statistically as well because of big innings.

But if you did the same analysis on elite teams, it seems likely that you would find those teams considerably less likely to make defensive mistakes in response to basepath aggression, and that the value of a single run through bunting would be higher due to better pitching and lower game scores.

All that to say, I'd like to see the Frogs shift their strategy a bit when playing elite teams like this weekend--and in the NCAAs/CWS.
Good post. This has been my thought since I heard them explain it.

Either way they make the calls and I will drink beer and watch or listen and hope we win.