• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU's plan for stadium renovation near reality

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]FWST: TCU's plan for stadium renovation near reality[/SIZE]

By Big Steaming Pile
tengel@star-telegram.com

Nearly every athletic facility at TCU has undergone a massive face-lift in recent years, but the one aging structure that is the centerpiece to the department eagerly awaits a transformation.

But the transformation is soon coming for Amon G. Carter Stadium.

TCU sources said the school is 80 percent complete toward reaching the required $105 million to begin the remaking of the venue. Department officials expect to have the necessary funding by June 30. ...

berryfrog95

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 8 2010, 06:47 AM) [snapback]571139[/snapback]
[SIZE=12pt]FWST: TCU's plan for stadium renovation near reality[/SIZE]

By Big Steaming Pile
tengel@star-telegram.com

Nearly every athletic facility at TCU has undergone a massive face-lift in recent years, but the one aging structure that is the centerpiece to the department eagerly awaits a transformation.

But the transformation is soon coming for Amon G. Carter Stadium.

TCU sources said the school is 80 percent complete toward reaching the required $105 million to begin the remaking of the venue. Department officials expect to have the necessary funding by June 30. ...

The north end zone, which is currently open, calls for an upper deck with seats where a large scoreboard will rest over it. If, however, TCU is added to a "power conference" such as the Big 12, there are plans to completely close the north end zone and increase capacity to 50,000-55,000.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/06/07/22...l#ixzz0qGH4jUjh

Great news about the fund-raising. However, with possible conference realignment, and expansion of the MWC, let's go ahead and do the extra capacity, regardless of the silly Big 12 comment.

Go Frogs!!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What if that 'Power Conference" is the MWC? Provided the rump Big XII are absorbed into the present MWC (sans Baylor of course) there is no Big XII.

Sigh...

desmith03

A new architectural rendering of some of the upgraded facilities at the stadium:

bathroom-urinal1.JPG

Frogs97

QUOTE(BrewingFrog @ Jun 8 2010, 07:23 AM) [snapback]571152[/snapback]
What if that 'Power Conference" is the MWC? Provided the rump Big XII are absorbed into the present MWC (sans Baylor of course) there is no Big XII.

Sigh...

I'm not sure it's so much being in a "power conference" as much as teams people care about seeing. A MWC + Boise, KU, KSU, would be right up there as far as football goes. But, I don't think they will generate as much local interest as Tech, UT, A&M and such. Not just from fans of those schools, just because there's more familiarity with those schools from casual fans, as well.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Frogs97 @ Jun 8 2010, 08:13 AM) [snapback]571186[/snapback]
I'm not sure it's so much being in a "power conference" as much as teams people care about seeing. A MWC + Boise, KU, KSU, would be right up there as far as football goes. But, I don't think they will generate as much local interest as Tech, UT, A&M and such. Not just from fans of those schools, just because there's more familiarity with those schools from casual fans, as well.

True, but still adds to the conference in a positive way.

AUFrog

Does Big Steaming Pile = Native Frog? He's a complete beat down of a journalist and searches for the worst way to report a positive. Interestingly, I've met him and he seems like a really nice guy but maybe he doesn't want to be labled a "homer".

R

RJ Fletcher

I did think it was odd that Engel chose to write a huge story about the lack of attendance at TCU basketball games and make it seem as if no one cared about TCU athletics...right after the football team set an attendance record and with the baseball team about to break their own one-year old attendance record.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(berryfrog95 @ Jun 8 2010, 04:51 AM) [snapback]571141[/snapback]
Great news about the fund-raising. However, with possible conference realignment, and expansion of the MWC, let's go ahead and do the extra capacity, regardless of the silly Big 12 comment.

ACS Stadium, 3 sell outs in forty years.

West Coast Johnny

QUOTE(RJ Fletcher @ Jun 8 2010, 09:13 AM) [snapback]571422[/snapback]
I did think it was odd that Engel chose to write a huge story about the lack of attendance at TCU basketball games and make it seem as if no one cared about TCU athletics...right after the football team set an attendance record and with the baseball team about to break their own one-year old attendance record.

Criticism of our basketball attendence is spot on and richly deserved. Daniel-Meyer is an embarassing morgue. Our women won another championship last year, and it's still a morgue for them.

OmniscienceFrog

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Jun 8 2010, 11:15 AM) [snapback]571426[/snapback]
ACS Stadium, 3 sell outs in forty years.

The past forty years are irrelevant to the here and now. What is relevant is now and the next forty years.

gdu

QUOTE(BrewingFrog @ Jun 8 2010, 12:23 PM) [snapback]571152[/snapback]

Sigh...

MWC + CU, KU and KSU is still not a "power conference" and those teams won't help attendance much at all. If we played Texas/OU and TTU/A&M every year, there would be plenty of sellouts.

Trelvis

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Jun 8 2010, 06:22 PM) [snapback]571570[/snapback]
MWC + CU, KU and KSU is still not a "power conference" and those teams won't help attendance much at all. If we played Texas/OU and TTU/A&M every year, there would be plenty of sellouts.

What is your definition of a power conference?

SnoSki

QUOTE(OmniscienceFrog @ Jun 8 2010, 01:17 PM) [snapback]571561[/snapback]
The past forty years are irrelevant to the here and now. What is relevant is now and the next forty years.

Agreed. If we had considered the prior 40 years when ACS was built, then we wouldnt have expanded past a HS stadium

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ Jun 8 2010, 01:30 PM) [snapback]571578[/snapback]
Agreed. If we had considered the prior 40 years when ACS was built, then we wouldnt have expanded past a HS stadium

And we'd be Houston........

gdu

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jun 8 2010, 06:29 PM) [snapback]571577[/snapback]
What is your definition of a power conference?

Right now, a BCS conference.

One that a majority of fans would call a power conference (almost certainly based on number of big state schools with big sold out stadiums and tradition). MWC + B12 scraps would not meet that definition IMO. Sure, most MWC might say so, but that can't be the determinant.

Trelvis

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Jun 8 2010, 06:33 PM) [snapback]571581[/snapback]

So you would consider the Big East a power conference correct?

One that a majority of fans would call a power conference (almost certainly based on number of big state schools with big sold out stadiums and tradition).

Because I think most consider the Big Easy pretty weak but they are a BCS conference. I dont know a whole lot about the Big East and how they fill their stadiums but Cinci and Uconn arent packing them in...

MWC + B12 scraps would not meet that definition IMO.

I dont know man. I can see your point but then again I also think the addition of those teams would help out tremendously.

nayr150

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Jun 8 2010, 01:33 PM) [snapback]571581[/snapback]

One that a majority of fans would call a power conference (almost certainly based on number of big state schools with big sold out stadiums and tradition). MWC + B12 scraps would not meet that definition IMO. Sure, most MWC might say so, but that can't be the determinant.

So which is it? The Big East is BCS, are they a power conference? They don't have big stadiums (not sure on if they sellout every game either).

The knock on the MWC has always been the bottom half. Aside from kicking anyone out, adding CU, KU and KSU would help this issue. They may not help improve the top of the conference, but I think they would improve the conference as a whole and would definitely bump the MWC above the Big East (and on par with the ACC, if not above them).

gdu

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jun 8 2010, 06:43 PM) [snapback]571594[/snapback]
So you would consider the Big East a power conference correct?
Because I think most consider the Big Easy pretty weak but they are a BCS conference. I dont know a whole lot about the Big East and how they fill their stadiums but Cinci and Uconn arent packing them in...
I dont know man. I can see your point but then again I also think the addition of those teams would help out tremendously.

1 person does not determine the definition of a word. Most would consider it so, so it is. I think the top of the MWC plays better football, but that isn't the only consideration. We have far less power, hence the term "power conference" rather than "good conference."

And I gave 2 definitions. One for today. The other for after the BCS.

And I'm not saying it wouldn't help out, but I am saying it wouldn't make us a power conference in the minds of the majority, especially if there are 4 16-team BCS-type conferences.