• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU's plan for stadium renovation near reality

gdu

QUOTE(nayr150 @ Jun 8 2010, 06:44 PM) [snapback]571598[/snapback]
So which is it? The Big East is BCS, are they a power conference? They don't have big stadiums (not sure on if they sellout every game either).

The knock on the MWC has always been the bottom half. Aside from kicking anyone out, adding CU, KU and KSU would help this issue. They may not help improve the top of the conference, but I think they would improve the conference as a whole and would definitely bump the MWC above the Big East (and on par with the ACC, if not above them).

See above. One was a definition for today, the other for after the BCS. There is some overlap, but there is a reason I gave 2.

Again, I don't disagree that it would make the MWC better; I just don't think it would do so to the extent that we are then a power conference in the minds of the majority.

Big Frog II

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Jun 8 2010, 12:22 PM) [snapback]571570[/snapback]
MWC + CU, KU and KSU is still not a "power conference" and those teams won't help attendance much at all. If we played Texas/OU and TTU/A&M every year, there would be plenty of sellouts.

Kansas and KSU can certainly help our attendance. Other than BYU they will bring the most fans by a long shot. In fact they could easily bring 8-10,000 fans if they were having a great year.

gdu

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Jun 8 2010, 06:52 PM) [snapback]571612[/snapback]
Kansas and KSU can certainly help our attendance. Other than BYU they will bring the most fans by a long shot. In fact they could easily bring 8-10,000 fans if they were having a great year.

Have they ever brought 10,000 fans to a conference game that wasn't vs. Mizzou or Neb?

No chance that happens vs. TCU.

And I didn't say they wouldn't help our attendance, but the top teams in true power conferences don't worry about the visitors helping their attendance.

SnoSki

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Jun 8 2010, 01:54 PM) [snapback]571616[/snapback]
Have they ever brought 10,000 fans to a conference game that wasn't vs. Mizzou or Neb?

No chance that happens vs. TCU.

And I didn't say they wouldn't help our attendance, but the top teams in true power conferences don't worry about the visitors helping their attendance.

Ok, so we won't worry about it.

I was afraid you're starting to sound a bit like NativeFrog for a sec..

AUFrog

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Jun 8 2010, 04:26 PM) [snapback]571445[/snapback]
Criticism of our basketball attendence is spot on and richly deserved. Daniel-Meyer is an embarassing morgue. Our women won another championship last year, and it's still a morgue for them.

Not exactly a good point on your part. What does basketball attendance have to do w/ announcing AGCS is going to be renovated? As for being richly deserved, the basketball program has been awful to watch and in-terms of wins/losses since the late 90s, making it richly deserved that hoops wouldn't draw great crowds. As for women's hoops, you lead the fundraising effort to build the Taj for TCU hoops 200 fans and let us know how it goes. I'm not saying there shouldn't be more fans at the games, but if I lived it DFW, I would attend 0 women's hoops games. It's just not entertaining unless you like watching people in slow motion miss lay-ups, foul every time down court and brick bank shots. I'm not coming down on CJM or the TCU players, who are obviously very talented compared to what else is out there, I'm just saying fan support isn't there to justify your comments or support/understanding of Mac's comments.

TCU2002

Feel like this is the first I've read about the 2011 season being a transitional year with a stadium capacity of only 34,000. Watching other schools do major stadium work, I always thought it would suck to go through a transitional year like that. Every football season is precious, and I think it would be hard to play a whole year in a construction site.

Oh well, if it has to be done....

gdu

QUOTE(TCU2002 @ Jun 8 2010, 08:02 PM) [snapback]571721[/snapback]
Feel like this is the first I've read about the 2011 season being a transitional year with a stadium capacity of only 34,000. Watching other schools do major stadium work, I always thought it would suck to go through a transitional year like that. Every football season is precious, and I think it would be hard to play a whole year in a construction site.

the price of progress. Would you rather play our 2011 home games in jerry world?

TCU2002

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Jun 8 2010, 04:07 PM) [snapback]571729[/snapback]
the price of progress. Would you rather play our 2011 home games in jerry world?

Probably not. But I'd study it if the possibility was out there.

34K is pretty small capacity - very small depending on who is coming in OOC.

I'd feel for any player who was playing their senior year in a diminished stadium.

Like you said, the price of progress. But not without cost.

gdu

QUOTE(TCU2002 @ Jun 8 2010, 08:26 PM) [snapback]571757[/snapback]
Probably not. But I'd study it if the possibility was out there.

I'd feel for any player who was playing their senior year in a diminished stadium.

Like you said, the price of progress. But not without cost.

we set a record season attendance avg of like 38k last year. Not that big a deal IMO. If OU or someone were coming to town, maybe. But Baylor doesn't bring any fans and this may keep some navy blue out of the stands vs. BYU.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(TCU2002 @ Jun 8 2010, 03:26 PM) [snapback]571757[/snapback]

Currently scheduled: Tech and SMU in '11, Virginia and OU in '12.

gdu

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 8 2010, 08:34 PM) [snapback]571767[/snapback]
Currently scheduled: Tech and SMU in '11, Virginia and OU in '12.

good point. I was off a year. It will be done in time for OU. This may keep some red out of the stands vs. tech.

tetonfrog

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Jun 8 2010, 06:52 PM) [snapback]571612[/snapback]

KU and KSU would only help our attendance if they are good. There are a lot of KU grads in DFW, but they wouldn't bother unless the Jayhawks were playing well. And KU isn't going to be good in football for several years. I may be wrong, but there is a serious talent drain in Lawrence right now. Untested player at QB, several players moving from defense to WR and RB, and it all adds up to another tough year for Turner Gill. He is going to have to recruit his skill players and build an offense. That will take time. And KSU? They lost to La-Lafeyette last year and went 4-6 versus D 1 teams. Enough said.

I'm not saying KU won't ever be good, but it could be a few years before Gill gets them going. And what is the future of KSU after Snyder? The first time he retired, it did not work out well for them. If you take in KU and KSU, it will be for basketball and baseball not football.

fdub

QUOTE(tcugdu @ Jun 8 2010, 03:43 PM) [snapback]571778[/snapback]
good point. I was off a year. It will be done in time for OU.

I thought OU had dropped us from their OOC schedule. It's unclear, to be sure, but looks a lot like we think OU is on our schedule, but OU doesn't think we're on theirs.

gdu

QUOTE(fdub @ Jun 8 2010, 09:11 PM) [snapback]571805[/snapback]
I thought OU had dropped us from their OOC schedule. It's unclear, to be sure, but looks a lot like we think OU is on our schedule, but OU doesn't think we're on theirs.

don't put too much stock in those websites. Maybe the date isn't firm bc we want to make sure our stadium will be ready, but OU isn't chickening out on coming to FW.

Smitty

QUOTE(TCU2002 @ Jun 8 2010, 03:02 PM) [snapback]571721[/snapback]

why can't we play in jerry world?

gdu

QUOTE(Smitty @ Jun 9 2010, 03:30 AM) [snapback]572066[/snapback]
why can't we play in jerry world?

bc only about 11 people would want us to. We need the ticket revenue and JJ would likely charge too much.

PurplePutt

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Jun 8 2010, 01:52 PM) [snapback]571612[/snapback]

These are all large state schools. KU, KSU, and ISU averaged better in attendance than all MWC schools except BYU in 2009. KU 50,581, KSU 46,763, ISU 46,242. ISU brought a boat load of fans to Houston for that bowl game several years ago. If they are winning they will pack up the RVs and they have a bunch of them.

They would have much better chance of getting bowl qualified in MWC and would significantly improve the overall strength of the conference top to bottom. They would have significantly improved opportunity to go to a BCS bowl without having to crawl over UT and OU every stinking year. Could be the best thing to happen to them once they get out from under the thumbs of Nebraska, OU, and UT.

ISU isn't to far removed from a great year and beat Nebraska in Lincoln last year. KU went to and won the Orange Bowl a 3 years ago.

They have top notch basketball programs and play baseball. (not sure about ISU and baseball?)

It's about a 7 hour drive to either of the Kansas schools from Fort Worth.

CU is a no brainer with it's proximity to CSU and AFA but I think they will be in PAC 16.

TCU2002

QUOTE(tetonfrog @ Jun 8 2010, 04:54 PM) [snapback]571785[/snapback]
And what is the future of KSU after Snyder?

Why, they're going to get CGP to "come home" of course.

:wacko: