• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU's Jerry Hughes getting into habits of pro linebacker

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04/13/21...tting-into.html

[SIZE=14pt]TCU's Jerry Hughes getting into habits of pro linebacker[/SIZE]

By STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Jerry Hughes never gave up on a play while he was pursuing quarterbacks as a defensive end at TCU. His motor was always running on the field, whether he was in a practice or playing in the Fiesta Bowl.

That inner drive led Hughes to Athletes' Performance Institute in Tempe, Ariz., this winter to take part in its NFL Scouting Combine preparation program. Initially, Hughes went to API to rehab a quad injury he suffered during the Fiesta Bowl.

While at API, which is on the campus of Arizona State, Hughes learned about nutrition and flexibility while putting his body through the rigors of a monthlong workout regimen. Hughes learned how taking care of his body can help heal injuries quicker and lead to a longer career.

Hughes' NFL career should begin next week when the first round of the draft begins April 22. Most draft experts project Hughes going late in the first round. Many suspect Hughes will likely be used as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme. That doesn't faze Hughes, who moved from running back to defensive end when he came to TCU out of Fort Bend Austin in 2006.

"It's just another move that I have to make," Hughes said after working out in front of NFL scouts at TCU's Pro Day in March. "I feel comfortable at the position with some of the drills they had me doing and I'm ready to make that adjustment. I'm really not too concerned about it. I just want to play football."

Hughes has a chance to be the highest-drafted Horned Frog since running back LaDainian Tomlinson was the fifth overall pick in 2001. If Hughes, or teammate Daryl Washington, goes as projected (late first round to early second round), they would be the highest-drafted defensive players from TCU since the Buffalo Bills selected defensive end Aaron Schobel as the 46th overall pick in 2001, the same year Tomlinson was selected by the San Diego Chargers.

"There's mixed emotions," said Hughes, who has met with six teams this spring. "I'm anticipating it, but you're nervous and can't wait for it to happen. At the same time, I'm enjoying this process of going out and meeting with all the teams."

Hughes finished his career tied for second all-time at TCU with 281/2 sacks, all coming from a three-point stance on the line of scrimmage. While in Arizona, he worked with a linebackers coach who helped him with the new skill set.

"I was working on speed and quickness drills, the same things I would see at the combine," he said. "I also worked on linebacker skills, which is something I needed to work on because I've never really been put in that position. I feel like, overall, it made be better."

He also learned a lot about maintaining his health with a healthy diet.

"It taught me some things I didn't really know too much about," Hughes said. "Nutritional things and about eating right. That plays a big part in staying healthy, along with proper stretching techniques and becoming more flexible."

He hasn't decided yet, but Hughes will likely watch the draft with his parents in Houston.

"I'm still up in the air," said Hughes, who became the Frogs' second two-time consensus All-American after an 111/2-sack 2009 season in which he helped the Frogs finish No. 1 in total defense for the second consecutive year.

Stefan Stevenson, 817-390-7760

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 14 2010, 06:25 AM) [snapback]544537[/snapback]
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04/13/21...tting-into.html

[SIZE=14pt]TCU's Jerry Hughes getting into habits of pro linebacker[/SIZE]

By STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Jerry Hughes never gave up on a play while he was pursuing quarterbacks as a defensive end at TCU. His motor was always running on the field, whether he was in a practice or playing in the Fiesta Bowl.

That inner drive led Hughes to Athletes' Performance Institute in Tempe, Ariz., this winter to take part in its NFL Scouting Combine preparation program. Initially, Hughes went to API to rehab a quad injury he suffered during the Fiesta Bowl.

While at API, which is on the campus of Arizona State, Hughes learned about nutrition and flexibility while putting his body through the rigors of a monthlong workout regimen. Hughes learned how taking care of his body can help heal injuries quicker and lead to a longer career.

Hughes' NFL career should begin next week when the first round of the draft begins April 22. Most draft experts project Hughes going late in the first round. Many suspect Hughes will likely be used as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defensive scheme. That doesn't faze Hughes, who moved from running back to defensive end when he came to TCU out of Fort Bend Austin in 2006.

"It's just another move that I have to make," Hughes said after working out in front of NFL scouts at TCU's Pro Day in March. "I feel comfortable at the position with some of the drills they had me doing and I'm ready to make that adjustment. I'm really not too concerned about it. I just want to play football."

Hughes has a chance to be the highest-drafted Horned Frog since running back LaDainian Tomlinson was the fifth overall pick in 2001. If Hughes, or teammate Daryl Washington, goes as projected (late first round to early second round), they would be the highest-drafted defensive players from TCU since the Buffalo Bills selected defensive end Aaron Schobel as the 46th overall pick in 2001, the same year Tomlinson was selected by the San Diego Chargers.

"There's mixed emotions," said Hughes, who has met with six teams this spring. "I'm anticipating it, but you're nervous and can't wait for it to happen. At the same time, I'm enjoying this process of going out and meeting with all the teams."

Hughes finished his career tied for second all-time at TCU with 281/2 sacks, all coming from a three-point stance on the line of scrimmage. While in Arizona, he worked with a linebackers coach who helped him with the new skill set.

"I was working on speed and quickness drills, the same things I would see at the combine," he said. "I also worked on linebacker skills, which is something I needed to work on because I've never really been put in that position. I feel like, overall, it made be better."

He also learned a lot about maintaining his health with a healthy diet.

"It taught me some things I didn't really know too much about," Hughes said. "Nutritional things and about eating right. That plays a big part in staying healthy, along with proper stretching techniques and becoming more flexible."

He hasn't decided yet, but Hughes will likely watch the draft with his parents in Houston.

"I'm still up in the air," said Hughes, who became the Frogs' second two-time consensus All-American after an 111/2-sack 2009 season in which he helped the Frogs finish No. 1 in total defense for the second consecutive year.

Stefan Stevenson, 817-390-7760

Some good stuff at Arizona State.

Jerry has put in so much work--he will see it pay off!

ectofrog

QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ Apr 14 2010, 10:50 AM) [snapback]544677[/snapback]
Some good stuff at Arizona State.

Jerry has put in so much work--he will see it pay off!

Best of luck to Hughes, Washington, and Newhouse going as highly as possible. Best of luck to Gresham, Priest, Sanders, Turner, and any others giving it a go for either getting drafted or signing on as FA's. Could be a nice year for some serious Frogs entering the league.

You've served us well and given us lots of thrills watching you play football for the Frogs. Now I wish riches upon you!!! Go get 'em.

Opintel

Moderators
QUOTE(ectofrog @ Apr 14 2010, 03:42 PM) [snapback]544820[/snapback]
Best of luck to Hughes, Washington, and Newhouse going as highly as possible. Best of luck to Gresham, Priest, Sanders, Turner, and any others giving it a go for either getting drafted or signing on as FA's. Could be a nice year for some serious Frogs entering the league.

You've served us well and given us lots of thrills watching you play football for the Frogs. Now I wish riches upon you!!! Go get 'em.

Yup... :biggrin:

We are proud of all of them, and wish only the best.

HFrog1999

QUOTE(Gehörnter Frosch @ Apr 14 2010, 04:54 PM) [snapback]544840[/snapback]
Why would you NOT want to be in New York when they call your name on Day One?

Only a very few are invited to New York. And, getting an invite doesn't necessarily mean you'll go early.

a86c6278b9a1273d5f251a1226393184.jpg

neo926

QUOTE(Gehörnter Frosch @ Apr 14 2010, 04:54 PM) [snapback]544840[/snapback]
Why would you NOT want to be in New York when they call your name on Day One?

Why would you want to be in New York if they don't call your name on Day One?

And he didn't get invited anyways, so it doesn't even matter.

QUOTE(Mike M. @ Apr 14 2010, 05:12 PM) [snapback]544844[/snapback]
Why would you want to be in New York if they don't call your name on Day One?

And he didn't get invited anyways, so it doesn't even matter.

He's a First or Second round lock. There is no question he will be drafted on Day One.