• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football landing running back Zach Evans was a loss disguised as a win | Opinion

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU football landing running back Zach Evans was a loss disguised as a win | Opinion

FTW_BaylorvsTCUcfb11

BY Big Steaming Pile

Zach Evans is the example of why celebrating recruiting wins is the hollowest of achievements.

When TCU signed the 5-star running back in the spring of 2020 he was the highest-ranked recruit that then-coach Gary Patterson had ever landed, and he was awash in concerns.

“We will write the rest of his paragraph as it unfolds!” Patterson tweeted shortly after Evans signed.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article257036802.html#storylink=cpy

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
3000 players in the portal????

Schools should immediately pull their athletic aid and tell them best of luck, sayonara, see ya, we are moving on without ya.

Tough article on Evans but probably deserved and spot on.

geefrogs

just go to 24/7 sports website.

Look up TCU highest rated recruits ever.

Then realize how many actually played it out with TCU and how many said "bye-bye" or we said "get outta here"

This isnt a Zach Evans problem.

This has been a problem way before he arrived.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Brown is the only one who I'd say is a legit bust as far as just not being able to play football. Still too early to tell with Hayes (and Hudson obviously). Rogers had the gruesome injury so it's hard to determine whether or not he was actually bad at football or simply never got back to where he needed to be physically. And then Fields obviously was on his way to being a 1st round pick before having a total meltdown.

I do think your point has some validity to it though as you look into the next grouping of highly rated recruits behind those guys so I'm not totally disagreeing with you. It certainly seems like a majority of our best players over the last decade have been the 2 and 3 star guys.

Wexahu

Brown is the only one who I'd say is a legit bust as far as just not being able to play football. Still too early to tell with Hayes (and Hudson obviously). Rogers had the gruesome injury so it's hard to determine whether or not he was actually bad at football or simply never got back to where he needed to be physically. And then Fields obviously was on his way to being a 1st round pick before having a total meltdown.

I do think your point has some validity to it though as you look into the next grouping of highly rated recruits behind those guys so I'm not totally disagreeing with you. It certainly seems like a majority of our best players over the last decade have been the 2 and 3 star guys.
All things considered, for whatever reason, we've had an awful success rate on the highest rated guys. Sure, some have been very good players, but they are kind of supposed to be. And some self-sabotaged their careers. But all in all, they haven't done much for us. The ones that have did so on bad teams.

I personally think over the past 7-8 years we've tried to do things to cater to them, and it just wasn't what this program was built on or what it did well. We'd bring them in, go overboard in making sure they didn't leave, and the culture just gradually disintegrated from there.

Dogfrog

All things considered, for whatever reason, we've had an awful success rate on the highest rated guys. Sure, some have been very good players, but they are kind of supposed to be. And some self-sabotaged their careers. But all in all, they haven't done much for us. The ones that have did so on bad teams.

I personally think over the past 7-8 years we've tried to do things to cater to them, and it just wasn't what this program was built on or what it did well. We'd bring them in, go overboard in making sure they didn't leave, and the culture just gradually disintegrated from there.
This is a reasonable theory, although not sure about the timeline. But ZE appears to be the culmination of it. It has to be near impossible to maintain team motivation when you openly establish heirarchy within a college football team. Maybe some staffs are better at this than others, directionally just didn’t seem a fit with Patterson’s strengths.

Spike

To be fair, it was a couple O's worth of weed so....he wasn't just rollin around with a gram or 2 for his own personal pleasure.

There was a lot of serious post-Rose Bowl partying going on with the players if you remember 2011-2013 years :)
I didn't get invited to the parties, but I remember the on-field results. Was he part of that drug bust?