• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU coach Gary Patterson puts Frogs through their paces

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU coach Gary Patterson puts Frogs through their paces

By Stefan Stevenson
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

The first thing you notice at a TCU football practice is the pace. Brent Musburger said he'd only seen one other team, Oregon, practice as fast and efficiently as the Horned Frogs.

TCU coach Gary Patterson led the Frogs through their fourth day of spring drills Tuesday, and the pace was as swift as usual in front of 15 college and high school coaching staffs, including former Miami coach Randy Shannon.

"You have to understand that comes with success, but you still have to be able to do your job," said Patterson, who said hellos and briefly chatted up coaches between teaching and directing the Frogs' defense through various installations. ...

ACroofrog

Ok is that a mistake by Stevenson in saying that it is down to TCU and Texas or is that legitimate new information?

SnoSki

Prized recruit
Aledo High School running back Johnathan Gray, one of the nation's top 2012 recruits, watched Tuesday's practice with his father, James. Gray is said to have narrowed his choice to TCU and Texas.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/08/2906795/tcu-coach-gary-patterson-puts.html#ixzz1G75sGNpR

interesting

I think ATM has always been in 3rd place on his list so it would not surprise me at all if Gray just decided to go ahead and say what it really is, which is a two team race between TCU and UT.

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
Somebody help me out here... how is it possible for the BYU transfer to get eligible for the fall? What would be the special circumstance for the waiver?

Screaming Flea

Ok is that a mistake by Stevenson in saying that it is down to TCU and Texas or is that legitimate new information?

That is my understanding. By there recent schedule, believe they are close to announcing there choice. Slots are filling up fast in top programs and if you want to cover your hiney, you better get off your hiney and make your choice, soon.

JG is a family oriented guy and it makes sense to be close to that family and friends. .

Presently, TCU is the more productive program and it appears based on recruiting, they will not only stay there but could/will improve on that standing.

It's a big decision for these kids and there families. Either way, JG has one hell of a future based on H.S. performance!

But I've just got to say it, TCU is WHITE HOT. The brand name is well known. We are fortunate NOT to have a program in turmoil and kids NOT involved with making bad societal decisions.

The coach's have committed to make this program a family, looking out for one another, nurturing, mentoring young athletes.

JugbandFrog

Somebody help me out here... how is it possible for the BYU transfer to get eligible for the fall? What would be the special circumstance for the waiver?
Best I could find was this:
The transfer rule for the NCAA are quite simple. If you choose to transfer from one school to another you must be a redshirted freshman or junior.You can transfer as a senior only if you have not be redshirted and have a 5th year eligiblity.All transfer must sit out for the following year if were to transfer unless you are a junior or senior who has graduated from your major.

JugbandFrog

That is my understanding. By there recent schedule, believe they are close to announcing there choice. Slots are filling up fast in top programs and if you want to cover your hiney, you better get off your hiney and make your choice, soon.

JG is a family oriented guy and it makes sense to be close to that family and friends. .

Presently, TCU is the more productive program and it appears based on recruiting, they will not only stay there but could/will improve on that standing.

It's a big decision for these kids and there families. Either way, JG has one hell of a future based on H.S. performance!

But I've just got to say it, TCU is WHITE HOT. The brand name is well known. We are fortunate NOT to have a program in turmoil and kids NOT involved with making bad societal decisions.

The coach's have committed to make this program a family, looking out for one another, nurturing, mentoring young athletes.

If the kid likes fancy uniforms then he is ours!

JugbandFrog

The One-Time Transfer Exception is a commonly used exception. This rule states that if you
have not transferred previously, directly or indirectly, from one four-year school (unless
your sports was discontinued or never sponsored) AND you are in good academic standing,
and have satisfied progress toward degree rules AND you would have been academically
eligible had you remained at your previous school AND your previous school certifies in
writing that it has no objection to a waiver of the one-year residence requirement, then you
can become immediately eligible upon enrollment at your new four-year school. You cannot
compete during the traditional season at both the school from which you transfer and the
school to which you transfer. You cannot use the one-time transfer exception if you plan to
transfer to a four-year school and play baseball (if you transfer on or after August 1, 2008),
basketball, ice hockey, or Football Bowl Subdivision football unless you were not recruited by
your original four-year institution and have never received athletically related aid from any
four-year institution. Additional rules may apply to Football Championship Subdivision
football and some Divisions II and III sports.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog

JS knows more about this, but I think if ths is your initial transfer and you are in good academic standing you can apply for a waiver provided the school you are transferring from gives you full release and raises no objections to the waiver of the 1 year residence rule. My understanding is BYU has granted the full release with no objections so the waiver request will probably be granted.

Since BYU has left the MWC prior to 2011-12 year the MWC transfer rules would not come into play.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
The 15 coaching staffs included KansSt, UMinn, Tyler John Tyler and Dennison (lots of lower div and JUCO (Garden City, Hutchison).

That had to be impressive for the Gray's also.

West Coast Johnny

A 6-foot-7 defensive tackle goodness.He and Broughton should at least look good standing next to each other on the line.

Very tall for a DT. His main challenge at DT will be to maintain a low center of gravity so that he isn't lifted up and out. It says a lot about his aggression and fundamentals that he is on defense, as he has a perfect body for O-tackle.

West Coast Johnny

Very tall for a DT. His main challenge at DT will be to maintain a low center of gravity so that he isn't lifted up and out. It says a lot about his aggression and fundamentals that he is on defense, as he has a perfect body for O-tackle. Also, great news that he came into camp in great shape. He took a lot of criticism in ProvoStan last year when he came into camp with a thick layer of blubber on him.