• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU basketball player offers cold assessment on the reality of a college degree

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU basketball player offers cold assessment on the reality of a college degree​

Big Steaming Pile

unnamed.jpg

Chuck O’ Bannon is 25, but he speaks with the candor of someone who is closer to 75.

The man his TCU teammates call “old head,” or “Uncle Chuck” is the sixth oldest NCAA Division I men’s basketball player. He started his basketball career at USC, in 2017.

He’s now a “super-duper-extra” senior with his undergraduate degree, and he will soon have his Master’s, too. When asked what advice he would give a college freshman student athlete, he hides nothing.

“Remember what you are here for: Basketball,” he said.

Do what?

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article286912300.html

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...n-the-reality-of-a-college-degree/ar-BB1kiGBF

Last edited:

Paradoxotaur

Foolishly, I didn't look at who wrote this article before reading it.

It was honestly one of the more difficult reads I've encountered in a while. So hard to understand what was being said, or what the overall point was. I figured it was a journalism student that put this garbage together.

Nope. My mistake.

"A McDonald’s high school All-American, he was a five-star recruit whose bloodline is comprised not of DNA but that of real basketballs." This is seriously middle school level writing.

JogginFrog

Muck notes that Chuck intends to play professionally in Japan post-college, as his father did. Sounds like he enjoyed growing up there.

No real news here. Chuck points out the reality that there's a lot of things a college athlete has to fulfill on outside the classroom. Depending on your capacity, you might need to be a general studies major to fulfill on the academic side. He won't know the value of masters degree in liberal studies until it opens some door or puts him ahead in some pool of job candidates--and maybe it will.

His perspective is the flip side of Mekhayia Moore's. She is prioritizing a molecular biology degree and med school, which left insufficient capacity to fulfill on the commitment of D1 athletics--until TCU had a need for bench players. She's now testing the limits of her capacity. I think it's a key part of the college experience--it's very difficult to do everything with excellence, so decide what's important to you.

FroginBedford68

I don't remember the player or the school he played for, but I recall a college football player saying openly, "We didn't come here to play school, we came here to play football"....And that was before NIL....

PurpleBlood87

Foolishly, I didn't look at who wrote this article before reading it.

It was honestly one of the more difficult reads I've encountered in a while. So hard to understand what was being said, or what the overall point was. I figured it was a journalism student that put this garbage together.

Nope. My mistake.

"A McDonald’s high school All-American, he was a five-star recruit whose bloodline is comprised not of DNA but that of real basketballs." This is seriously middle school level writing.
Compared to fake basketballs?