• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU basketball is still better off than Pitt, but Jamie Dixon must find this piece

Controversial opinion: TCU should have torn down DMC and rebuilt a new venue.
I posted this here in July 2021—

Daniel Meyer Coliseum maybe should have been razed, as it seemed foolish to spend 80 million dollars on the Hall of Fame, athletic offices and player facilities all encasing a 1960 roundhouse seating bowl in which the floor was just dropped four feet. Now stuck with it. Even encasing a new arena with athletic infrastructure might be a bad idea - what happens when the seating bowl needs to be upgraded. The 113 million spent on AGC for two levels of east side luxury seats is maybe a number that could have built a swanky new basketball arena with luxury seats/suites and maybe even a swanky new practice gym - a most demonstrable setting of the table to entice top recruits, coaches, fans and the pursuit of a top twenty basketball program.

Last edited:
I remember they also had some sort of unexpected structural issues and delay when they got into the Daniel Meyer deconstruction so a 2nd season of Frog hoops had to begin at the high school facility. So all the time and 80 million spent and yet right in the middle of it sits an old 1960 roundhouse seating bowl in which they just put lipstick on a pig. Which again to me just points out that basketball has never been a top priority at TCU, and here we are in the Big 12, the #1 basketball conference.

Last edited:
At the time of the Schollmaier construction, schools were building nice new arenas for 100 million or less. Keep in mind of the 80+ million TCU spent, probably most of it went into offices, player facilities, Hall of Fame, new concourses and demolition, and lowering the dang floor, but not the seating bowl.

It’s bad form for me to sit here and complain about how donors spent that money, but having that old roundhouse seating bowl stuck in the middle of all the new construction adjoining it, seems obviously foolish. How do you ever tear that down now without touching the new surrounding it.

The seating bowl should’ve been matching new or instead a new standalone basketball arena someplace else and then that vacated space could’ve been used for continuing to increase the size of the ever increasing football facilities and personnel offices. I suspect the new Performance Center design is being somewhat compromised because of space constraints there.

Last edited:

Smitch89

How's Jamie Dixon treating y'all over here?
3 things guaranteed in life
1 death
2 taxes
3 Jamie Dixon early tourney exits lmaooooo

We got lucky with an alum being a good coach and deciding the facilities were now acceptable enough to return, and he was wearing out his welcome at Pitt.

This is a bit of a hot button subject for me because I have always thought basketball should be a near equal to football for the good of the school, marketing, students and alumni.

Go ahead and slap me around for overstepping and tell me where I am wrong.

froginmn

We got lucky with an alum being a good coach and deciding the facilities were now acceptable enough to return, and he was wearing out his welcome at Pitt.

This is a bit of a hot button subject for me because I have always thought basketball should be a near equal to football for the good of the school, marketing, students and alumni.

Go ahead and slap me around for overstepping and tell me where I am wrong.
I think it's fairly common for good football schools (Bama, Georgia, Clemson, LSU) to not emphasize basketball and non-football schools like Tech and SMU to overinflate their basketball prowess.

Last edited:

An-Cap Frog

Sure, let’s settle for mediocre just because we sucked for so long.
Making the tourney 3 years in a row is not mediocre.

Let's compare Scott Drew, 21 years at Baylor:
9 times missed the tourney
1 NIT Championship
1 NIT Runner-up
1 NIT 2nd Round
3 first round exits
3 second round exits
2 sweet 16 exits
2 elitie 8 exits
1 natty
1 season in progress

To Jamie Dixon, 8 seasons at TCU: