• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU athletic director will support whatever staff changes Gary Patterson wants to make

McGregor's Goat

I guess this isn't a popular opinion but I agree with Donati. With extremely rare exceptions like Barry Alvarez, it is a bad idea for the AD to have a heavy hand in making those kinds of decisions. I prefer a policy of, "We will give you the resources to succeed and let you make the staff decisions, and if you continue to fail we're going to replace you."

Pharm Frog

He has paid a little more to offense this season with things like "run the ball more" but that is about it. But throughout his career he has been known as "hands off' with respect to the offense. When he said it would be monitoring it offense more carefully this year, there were posts on the board of "finally"..."he needs to take over the offense, too." You are the first person I have heard say he meddles too much in offense. The game plan, play calling, etc. is the offense's staff, i.e. Cumbie's responsibility. Obviously GP has always asked questions and tried to assist, and makes calls such as go for it on 4th down, go for 2 or 1 after a TD. But 99% is the offensive staff. As always. GP calls the defensive calls, and no, Cumbie does not interfere with that.

Oh, and the world is round, too.

Former coaches made it very clear that there's a meeting early in the week where GP gives input to and accepts and/or amends the proposed offensive approach. This included not only the strategy but sometimes also who he wanted to see used more or less. Once that is done I've been told that he doesn't do anything else with the offense and rarely gives game day input. Sometimes the offensive staff couldn't even raise him on the headset. If GP wants to run the ball more to control the clock I'm told that has historically been decided early in the week. All that said...my information (first-hand) is from coaches that are not on the current staff so perhaps things have changed. You are correct that 4th down calls and 1 v 2 points attempts and timeouts are in his purvey on game day as well as decisions related to clock management. I used to know exactly when that game plan meeting occurred but for some reason I cannot recall it now. I could ask my father who golfed with former coaches two and three times a week not too long ago.

flyfishingfrog

But let’s all be honest ..... 10 years and 75 million GUARANTEED was a massive part of it. There isn’t one other team in the country that was gonna give him that and if there was he may well be there instead of A&M.
Well true - from that look on his face when he got off the plan in CStat - it was obvious he was wondering what the hell he did...

I am sure mumbles “75 mil, just remember 75 mil” to himself a lot

Big Frog II

The bottom line is we need to go out and hire the best offensive coordinator we can buy. He needs to have the ability to keep or fire anyone on that side of the ball. If not, don't bother. We may lose a player here and there, but overall this is what must be done for the future. Even the SEC sees that offense is now the name of the game.

flyfishingfrog

The bottom line is we need to go out and hire the best offensive coordinator we can buy. He needs to have the ability to keep or fire anyone on that side of the ball. If not, don't bother. We may lose a player here and there, but overall this is what must be done for the future. Even the SEC sees that offense is now the name of the game.
Interesting how we didn’t hear a single thing about bad defenses last night in the iron bowl...

if OU / Baylor end up 48-45 in regulation- OU will get passed over with the commentary their defense is still not good enough

Wexahu

Interesting how we didn’t hear a single thing about bad defenses last night in the iron bowl...

if OU / Baylor end up 48-45 in regulation- OU will get passed over with the commentary their defense is still not good enough

Interestingly, Auburn was “held” to 354 yards of offense. They had two pick 6’s and Alabama had a kickoff return. The overall defense wasn’t great of course but it wasn’t as bad as the final score suggested.

Billy Clyde

He has paid a little more to offense this season with things like "run the ball more" but that is about it. But throughout his career he has been known as "hands off' with respect to the offense. When he said it would be monitoring it offense more carefully this year, there were posts on the board of "finally"..."he needs to take over the offense, too." You are the first person I have heard say he meddles too much in offense. The game plan, play calling, etc. is the offense's staff, i.e. Cumbie's responsibility. Obviously GP has always asked questions and tried to assist, and makes calls such as go for it on 4th down, go for 2 or 1 after a TD. But 99% is the offensive staff. As always. GP calls the defensive calls, and no, Cumbie does not interfere with that.

Oh, and the world is round, too.

So you believe it was Sonny's decision, not Gary's, to play for the tie against Baylor when we got the ball back with 35 seconds left and all three timeouts? Sure, that makes all the sense, Kelsey.

flyfishingfrog

So you believe it was Sonny's decision, not Gary's, to play for the tie against Baylor when we got the ball back with 35 seconds left and all three timeouts? Sure, that makes all the sense, Kelsey.
Curious why so many are fixated on the two decisions to not push the field with less than a minute left

would always be great to try in my mind - however if your offense can’t score in 36 mins I have little confidence 36 seconds we’re going to make a difference

again I think that is just a lack of faith by GP in our OC - which why he needs to find a new OC

frog-hat

I can understand ADJD saying that publicly. But he better be involved and asking some hard questions. How many OCs has GP hired in the last 8 years? How many have worked out ? He’s demonstrated he’s not very good at that.

Tumbleweed

Watching Utah play last night. Announcers said Whittingham went thru 9 offensive coordinators in 11 years. The Utes are solid this year and they were last year too and were the year (u get the picture)

Froggish

The obvious response to that is why would he leave LSU?
I know this guy is the darling of football but heaven help us if we go get another guy who hasn’t called a damn play before.

OCing is more than a collection of cool plays. It’s a feel for when to call him and to teach kids to execute them..

Eight

Watching Utah play last night. Announcers said Whittingham went thru 9 offensive coordinators in 11 years. The Utes are solid this year and they were last year too and were the year (u get the picture)

he has done a very good job having distinct identities that match each other