• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU almost brought back Doug Meacham this off-season

PO Frog

I thought it was common knowledge that after he got canned at Kansas that he was floating around the program looking for a job. Multiple people posted about him attending our games and everyone knew he wanted to come back. Guessing SC would have been the one that wasn't on board with that, but in shock that GP would actually say something about there being a personality conflict. Very shocked

McFroggin

I still kinda confused on this stance by some people. Are 2 best teams and offense in the Big 12 era were with Meacham at the helm. Yeah, 2016 was a down year but maybe that would have happened any no matter who was at the helm.

Also some our offensive coaches who were vocally against this need to put up or shut up.

His play calling was awful, especially at the goal-line. He got lucky with having Boykin/Doctson initially. Doctson was the best WR that we’ve ever had and he had the top measurables in the nation at the combine. Never again.

Palliative Care

Considering bringing back Doug Meacham? I mean really? Keeping Sonny Jack on the sidelines, making QB decisions on who plays... does that sound like Patterson is a happy offensive camper?

Froggish

Despite our 2014/15 success, you’ll never convince me the air raid is the way to go..We watched TT ride it TO mediocrity for over a decade. Yes it puts up points up but it has ramifications to the rest of your performance that people continually ignore. I’ll take more balance and a strategy that seeks to limit the liability of your defense any day.

Palliative Care

And um... we have have two (not counting FR) quality running backs that blew the sides off of Purdue. If we stay with Duggan (which is fine with me) a running game takes the pressure off him to carry the load.

Mean Purple

Despite our 2014/15 success, you’ll never convince me the air raid is the way to go..We watched TT ride it TO mediocrity for over a decade. Yes it puts up points up but it has ramifications to the rest of your performance that people continually ignore. I’ll take more balance and a strategy that seeks to limit the liability of your defense any day.
I have a yes/sorta agreement on this, as it goes with the Frogs ... in 2014. It was SOMEWHAT situational regarding balance that year. Yes, it was mostly passing, but it was also who was open and how far down field. There were games where we ran the ball quite a bit. Looking through the ESPN page on 2014, you can view it be game by clicking on the game score and checking team stats/player stats.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2628/season/2014
Which is probably the safest way to do it, as I am not sure how accurate the info below is.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-christian/2014.html

Again, what is the situation/game seems to tie in.
Furthermore, I suggest approaching all overall stat summaries with the Padraig Harrington warning: Some people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post; to lean on rather than for illumination.

Billy Clyde

His play calling was awful, especially at the goal-line. He got lucky with having Boykin/Doctson initially. Doctson was the best WR that we’ve ever had and he had the top measurables in the nation at the combine. Never again.

Don't disagree with your underlying point, but Mike Renfro was the best WR TCU ever had.

Did he ever see game action? I don't mean to be ugly, I just remember him being injured so much I think he finally decided to just run track.
His heart was not in it — good kid that had the decency to actually tell Coach that rather than play half-arsed or use up a scholly. Not being sarcastic when I say he is a good kid.

Billy Clyde

His heart was not in it — good kid that had the decency to actually tell Coach that rather than play half-arsed or use up a scholly. Not being sarcastic when I say he is a good kid.

Met him once, he seemed like it. Told him to tell his dad I am still pissed that he didn't make the catch against the Steelers in the playoffs, lol. That was the play that led to instant replay in the NFL, for the youngs who don't remember.