• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU almost brought back Doug Meacham this off-season

Froggish

I have a yes/sorta agreement on this, as it goes with the Frogs ... in 2014. It was SOMEWHAT situational regarding balance that year. Yes, it was mostly passing, but it was also who was open and how far down field. There were games where we ran the ball quite a bit. Looking through the ESPN page on 2014, you can view it be game by clicking on the game score and checking team stats/player stats.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2628/season/2014
Which is probably the safest way to do it, as I am not sure how accurate the info below is.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/texas-christian/2014.html

Again, what is the situation/game seems to tie in.
Furthermore, I suggest approaching all overall stat summaries with the Padraig Harrington warning: Some people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post; to lean on rather than for illumination.

I think the main issue for me with that offense had one speed and one cadence about it. It was seemingly only effective playing in hyper speed and it couldn’t adjust well situationally. It also was terrible behind the chains. A 3rd and long might as well have been a punt as the routs and reads were short and quick. If you could get up quick then it was effective but it really stunk at efficiency

If Meacham had some track record of success outside of the Boykin/Doctson era, then I guess I could at least see the attraction. Since he has otherwise been between mediocre and bad at being an OC outside of that period, I really don't. Nothing against the guy but if we were looking for someone to bring some additional perspectives to the offense, there are probably dozens of guys around college football who could do that. I'm not sure that there is too much that Meacham could bring that Cumbie doesn't already know given their offensive background and their time having worked together.

Wexahu

I think the main issue for me with that offense had one speed and one cadence about it. It was seemingly only effective playing in hyper speed and it couldn’t adjust well situationally. It also was terrible behind the chains. A 3rd and long might as well have been a punt as the routs and reads were short and quick. If you could get up quick then it was effective but it really stunk at efficiency

Right. If going fast is the primary feature of your offense and you need to go fast for it to work you better have a hell of a defense or else it’s not going to help you win, it’ll just result in higher scoring games. I’m not sure we had one significant injury on defense in ‘14 and they caused 38 turnovers, that had way more to do with that team’s success than the offense IMO. ‘15 was carried by the offense but that team could’ve lost 5 games if it wasn’t for some pretty fortunate breaks.