1. The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU’s Patterson hears complaints about co-OC Sonny Cumbie, but won’t make ‘rash’ decision

Discussion in 'Scott & Wes Frog Fan Forum' started by TopFrog, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Well in fairness to Cumbie, he was a GA under Mike Leach, a WR coach under Tommy Tubberville, and a Co-OC/WR coach under Kliff Kingsbury. So even if Cumbie isn’t a great play caller or OC, he’s at least somebody that multiple other qualified P5 head coaches wanted on their staff.

On the other hand, I’m not sure we could find three P5 head coaches not names “Gary Patterson” who would want Anderson, Burns, and Sharp on their staff. Thats the difference in my mind. Cumbie is a legitimate P5 level coach, just maybe not one who should be solely in charge of the offense.

2. I still have yet to see any proof that Sonny is a good QB coach but that’s the narrative everyone seems to want to be true. Your right about it being hard to stick around after being demoted. I also not convinced that’s a good idea. A QB coach and OC are generally one in the same or work incredibly close. I would think a brand new OC would want his guy to help him implement his system.

3. You might want to slow things down a bit considering we have a Fr QB who was quaterbacking in HS this time last year, in Iowa.

Forgoing all our other issues, if we could have caught 1/2 of all those Drops, we more than likely could be 6-3 or even possibly have a 7-2 record.

4 Oaks Frog likes this.
  4. Salfrog and 4 Oaks Frog like this.
  5. I think if I was a college OC, I might want to spend some time reviewing this work:
    https://rileykolstefootball.com/2019/03/18/book-preview-breaking-down-the-2018-oklahoma-offense-2/

I'm not a college OC so I didn't buy the book but did read through the excerpt a while back and it is illustrative of how Riley has evolved from the basic "air raid" concepts into something that is a pretty decent approach to creating a modern offense that is very difficult to defend.

Froggish likes this.